General politics discussion thread

David

On the same day that an extremely controversial Trade Union Bill narrowly passed a second reading in the House of Commons the press has gone nuclear about an avowed Republican abstaining from the singing of a song about how one person is willed by God to rule over everyone else.

The predominance of men in the higher Shadow Cabinet positions was a legitimate point of criticism and a genuine own goal by Corbyn, but if the majority of the press's attacks are going to be stuff like this I think it could eventually work in his favour. Interested to see how childish the Conservative front bench are about it at PMQs today.

• Paid Members

Have they had a go about Corbyn keeping pens in his shirt pocket yet? This is the same press that helped prevent Ed Milliband (and let's be honest, it was an actual factor) from getting into Downing Street by constantly posting the same picture of him eating a bacon sandwich.

• Paid Members

Have they had a go about Corbyn keeping pens in his shirt pocket yet? This is the same press that helped prevent Ed Milliband (and let's be honest, it was an actual factor) from getting into Downing Street by constantly posting the same picture of him eating a bacon sandwich.

My dad, whose turn to the right I mentioned in the "migrant crisis” thread, was unbearable when we went to visit my parents last March. He was reading the Mail, and kept going on about how Miliband’s kitchen was shite compared to Cameron’s or something, and how you couldn’t cook a real meal in Miliband’s kitchen. This is a man whose one attempt to actually cook that I remember involved frying some crumbed yorkshire ham to make a spaghetti carbonara when my mum was on holiday, and he’s up on his high horse because the Labour leader isn’t a gourmet, or at least his kitchen isn’t top quality.

Dad is apparently very annoyed about Corbyn becoming leader, doesn’t like his policies — I don’t really see what the issue is for him, if he thinks Corbyn is going to steer the Labour party into (even more) unelectable positions, then shouldn’t he be happy? I’m visiting them in a couple of weeks, I foresee trouble.

Bollocks. Here's the BBC's take: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34264683

Commentary seems split between admiring the unusual civility between Cameron and Corbyn, and mocking Corbyn for being a soft touch.

I thought Corbyn did well, and appreciated his attempt to take the theatrics out of proceedings. Hopefully he hits Cameron with some more piercing follow up questions in future. I understand why he didn't want to go in kicking people up the minge at this early stage though.

• Paid Members

Wasn't Corbyn driving home the fact PMQs is a waste as you really can't drive home a counter argument with your alloted questions?

I liked his approach, he's made me once again happy to be a Labour supporter, New Labour was lead by a Thatcherite of all things, they turned into Tory lite and with it I lost a political party.

My favourite thing with Corbyn's leadership is the interviewing of the old guard, seeing Dennis Skinner being spoken to and then lambasting the interviewer was great and always will be. Wish Benn was still alive for his stance.

• Paid Members

My Facebook feed has been littered with anti-Corbyn shite since he won, the national anthem tipped it over the edge for me where I had to start responding.

One individuals comeback was a slight at the way he dressed ... because that's truly important when it comes to Politics isn't it!?