General politics discussion thread

David

Labour having "integrity in opposition" and 50p buys someone on the end of the current barage of cuts a oacket of super noodles. It's better to have an electable Labour party that can get into power and do some good than have a Labour party with "integrity" that can do no good but make people on Twitter feel good about themslves.

Well said.

• Paid Members

Labour having "integrity in opposition" and 50p buys someone on the end of the current barage of cuts a oacket of super noodles. It's better to have an electable Labour party that can get into power and do some good than have a Labour party with "integrity" that can do no good but make people on Twitter feel good about themslves.

I disagree.

Firstly, unless they are planning to break all their election promises then the "Diet Tory" strategy kind of rules out them doing much good. It'd just be slightly less shit than what the Tories are doing. Secondly, even in opposition, a strong, left wing Labour would quite possibly drag the Tories back to the Centre, much like they went further to the right to halt the rise of UKIP.

Lastly, I really don't understand the argument that Corbyn would suddenly make Labour unelectable. Andy Burnham as leader would be far far worse. The Welfare Bill has completely destroyed any credibility he could've had as opposition Leader. Regardless of his policies, the media and the Tories will portray him as a gutless coward who doesn't have the courage to stand up for his beliefs.

And they'd be right.

If (Bl)Andy, or the other two, are elected then remaining in opposition will be the best Labour can hope for. They'll be wiped out in 2020 and deservedly so.

• Paid Members

Lastly, I really don't understand the argument that Corbyn would suddenly make Labour unelectable

In fairness, this line has only really been repeated by the Murdoch press et al. I've not heard any regular people saying it.

• Moderators

I have. I've heard it a fair bit, and I've heard it from longterm Labour supporters who are really uncertain about this leadership race; supporters who like what Corbyn stands for but are scared by this notion.

Every fucking media outlet is saying it, so it seeps in unless you're very staunchly and consciously anti press. It sucks, but it's definitely true.

Personally I'm not sure and I'm not bothered whether he's electable or not right now. All I know is that I'm fed up of the same old shit, and here is a candidate who says (and crucially does) things that are much more closely aligned to what I believe than the other three. As soon as you're talking about 'electability' you're game-playing and second guessing yourself trying to tell people what you think they want to hear. And that's the bullshit on either side of the fence that I've no time for.

It's why of the lot of them, I particularly dislike Yvette Cooper the most.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

The "Corbyn is unelectable" brigade at Labour HQ will be in for a rude awakening if any of the Three Stooges wins the leadership.

Two are damaged goods from previous administrations and the other I had honestly never even heard of before the contest. Saying that I never heard of Corbyn until recently but at least he carries himself as someone standing for what he actually believes in and isn't just some desperate to hang on leftover who would sell his or her mother for the rights to scrub the toilet in No 10.

The funny thing about it all is that Corbyn wasn't even a serious nomination and was just the "token lefty" of the group. What a wonderful backfire.

• Paid Members

Good piece by Mark Steel on Tony Blair’s comments on the Labour leadership

At last sensible Labour politicians are injecting some maturity into the leadership debate. To start with, Tony Blair’s aide John McTernan called anyone who nominated Jeremy Corbyn a “moron”, which is such a refreshing change from the divisive and childish approach of the Left.

His next statement will be that Jeremy Corbyn smells like a poo-poo and anyone who votes for him has a tiny willy, because John McTernan understands the importance of Labour appearing grown up and united.

Now Blair himself has informed us Corbyn would be a disaster. This could cause a problem, because for giving his views in a speech Blair usually charges at least £200,000, and Labour’s finances are stretched enough as it is. Normally he’s advising the government of Kazakhstan or a Saudi Arabian oil company, or shaking hands with characters like Colonel Gaddafi so it’s surprising he didn’t suggest cancelling the election and putting the army in charge of the party, and sentencing Diane Abbott to 500 lashes. Even so it’s sweet of him to take time out from his busy schedule.

Who said it: Tony Blair or Jeremy Corbyn?

'Jeremy Corbyn is the only candidate the public actually likes'

The 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public agrees with

He said that if your heart is telling you to vote for Corbyn, you need a heart transplant. You can see how he thinks this, because the first word anyone thinks of when they see Blair is “heart”. Tony Heart Blair is what his friends President Assad of Syria and ex-military ruler Mubarak of Egypt call him.

When you’re responsible for all the heartfelt warmth and sunshine that resulted from invading Iraq, it’s understandable if you get angry with heartless types such as Jeremy Corbyn who opposed it all along, but not everyone can live up to Blair’s standards.

Blair’s supporters point out that although his current image is tarnished, we should remember he was hugely popular in 1997.

The Blair viewpoint has clearly affected Margaret Beckett, as she’s one of the MPs who nominated Corbyn, and her response to being called a moron was to agree. She regrets helping him to stand for the election, she says, as she never guessed he would win as much support as he has. This is a novel attitude towards democracy, that the worst thing you can do in an election is allow someone to stand if they might win.

Maybe Labour should change its rules for elections again, so that anyone who disagrees with Blair is only allowed to stand if they sign a pledge to get fewer than eight votes.

Luckily, Corbyn’s opponents are making a persuasive case for their own bids. Andy Burnham is especially clear that he’s opposed to the Tory’s Welfare Bill, as it will “Hit working families” and “hit children particularly badly”. Indeed he’s so opposed to it that he was determined not to vote against it. The most effective way to oppose it, he insisted, was to abstain rather than vote against it, because that way he can unite the party against it.

It’s so rare that a politician speaks clearly like that, in a language we can all understand. Presumably he’ll be telling all his supporters not to vote for him in the leadership election, but to abstain as that way he can win by even more.

Burnham is known as an Everton fan, so when he’s at their games he must try and persuade the Everton supporters to sing “Spurs and Everton, Spurs and Everton, we’ll abstain on this one evermore, we’ll abstain on this one ever-more”, rather than fall into the trap of supporting the team he supports by supporting them.

Maybe his plan is to make Labour electable again by supporting all the different policies. If he becomes leader, Labour will support the cuts and oppose them, and oppose fox-hunting but support it as well, and that way the party can win votes from everyone.

It could be that the reason three of the candidates are struggling to make an impact is they don’t seem capable of expressing what they stand for.

Whenever they’re asked what they believe in they make grand replies such as “I want a Britain not of down but of up, for the always and not the never, that reaches out to all of us, not only people on the 133 bus, a Britain not just of the liver but also the kidney, a Britain that can care, can share, be debonair, fair, abstain on the austere, and say a prayer like Tony Blair.”

Liz Kendall makes some effort to stand for something definite, which is to be like Blair but more so, and next week she’ll probably criticise Blair for only invading Iraq once when he should have done it twice.

There are reports that Kendall has asked Yvette Cooper to drop out, as Liz stands the best chance of beating Corbyn. As every survey shows Kendall is by some distance last, that’s impressive and I might try this myself. I’ll suggest to Mo Farah that he drops out of the 5,000m in next year’s Olympics, as my time of two hours is the only one that stands a chance of beating the Kenyans.

All three are now squabbling, not about ideas or policies or even their favourite type of biscuit, but over which one has the best chance to beat Corbyn. And they must beat him, because by being capable of expressing his ideas clearly and simply, for example by voting against welfare cuts, he makes himself unelectable.

If you look at Corbyn’s record it’s clear he just can’t win elections. In his constituency of Islington North he inherited a majority of 4,456, which is now 21,194. He’s one of the few Labour MPs whose vote increased between 2005 and 2010, when he added 5,685 to his majority. This is typical of the man, defying the official Labour policy of losing votes and getting more of them instead, just to be a rebel.

So let’s hope one of the others triumphs, and at least wins back the votes Labour lost in Scotland, where so many people at the last election said “I canna vote Labour, they don’t abstain enough for me, the wee morons’.

• Paid Members

And when Corbyn inevitably wins, cretins like this cunt will be trying to defy Labour Party members by overthrowing him before he even gets a chance. Funny that it's those talking about "unity" and "electability" that seem to be doing everything they can to rip the party apart and make them look like a shower of spineless, unelectable arseholes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/well-try-to-oust-jeremy-corbyn-on-day-one-if-members-pick-him-says-labour-mp-simon-danczuk-10451581.html

Edited by stumobir

What do the non-Corbyn candidates actually stand for if they think he's such a bad idea?

The fact that people are still asking that just highlights how piss poor their campaigns have been.

I wouldn't count anyone out in 2020 though because Cameron only has a majority of 12 to work with (though the way they act you would swear that they had won in a 1997 style landslide) and he has still has the EU referendum to deal with which is going to be a massive headache for him and the party and after that if he stays true to his word they have to elect/pick an eventual replacement for him before the next election.

A lot could and probably will happen to both parties over the next five years no matter who is leader of either.