General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Credit has to go to Dawn Butler who handled it well, laughing Burley off was the perfect thing to do and made her look like more of a fool than getting angry would've.

I think the idea is that even though you hate whoever and know your piss would fuck them up, you still wouldn't waste it on them. Playing on the "wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" line.

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly are they checking the authenticity of people paying this £3 to vote? It all seems like a total clusterfuck to me. If you're selling votes at £3 a time it clearly shouldn't matter who is paying the money. Did no-one consider the ramifications of it all beforehand?

• Paid Members

You have to tick a box at the bottom that says something about you not being affiliated with anyone who are against the Labour Party. I mean, everybody makes sure to read and agree with things before they tick on online forms.

• Paid Members

I get a vote through my union levy and I'll be voting for Corbyn. No second preference, and none of the deputy candidates will get a vote, either, because they all abstained from the welfare bill vote.

I don't get this obsession with "electability". It's playing to an increasingly-dwindling audience. The present voting public are roughly split 50/50 between left and right but there's 16m eligible voters who don't vote, more than the Conservative winning vote. The key to regaining power from a leftist point of view is those people and they've been turned off by the political status quo. Therefore, you'd assume, the way to win is not to stay the same...

• Paid Members

The obsession with electability is a common trait of all those people who came up in New Labour. Those guys are all about power for powers sake. Anything that gets them into office is A-OK with them. You could kind of understand it with the likes of Blair and Brown who spent all that time in opposition. It must have seemed like they'd never get into power without a shift to the centre. The younger ones, the likes of say Liz Kendall, they can't stand being in opposition. Too used to being part of a party in power. Better being in opposition, standing for something than being in power, standing for whatever will keep you there, I say.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Labour having "integrity in opposition" and 50p buys someone on the end of the current barage of cuts a oacket of super noodles. It's better to have an electable Labour party that can get into power and do some good than have a Labour party with "integrity" that can do no good but make people on Twitter feel good about themslves.

The key to regaining power from a leftist point of view is those people and they've been turned off by the political status quo. Therefore, you'd assume, the way to win is not to stay the same...

Corbyn seems squarely aimed at the same middle-class Guardian readers who voted last time and weren't enough to win an election. The key to victory isn't preaching to the same comfortable white choir who post "Tories are evil" stuff on Facebook all day. If the Tories are really that bad, the key for Labour come voting day is being a realistic alternative -- a lesser of two evils -- rather than an idealist fancy.

• Paid Members

I'd also argue that "lesser of two evils" is a huge reason why those 16m people don't vote. The British electorate is broadly left-wing, they just have to be sold on it in a way that doesn't sound too Bolshy. Corbyn won't do that but he stands a good chance of helping the Labour Party find its soul again. In fact, I doubt he'll even contest an election, and be out in three years if he does the job he's aiming for.