General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

To all intents and purposes they've folded inside out and sprayed all the shit normally penned up inside right in the faces of the world - the moderate Republicans are either considered pariahs by the most vocal portion of the base, or they're getting dragged along in the riptide and making like loonies to stay upright.

"It'll be anarchy. That's what could happen tomorrow. I'm serious, I'm serious... We'd have to think: do we have curfews, do we put the Army on the streets, how do we get order back?"

Except it wouldn't be anarchy, Gordon Brown, it would be chaos. Unless the staff of Tesco collectivised and ran the branch as a cooperative.

• 1 year later...

The first post in this thread for exactly one year coincidentally.  

Anyway today Nick has been kicked out of the BNP.  They've pretty much disappeared over the last few years.  Is it just most of the people voting for them have moved onto the more socially acceptable UK Independence party?

Also Cameron has said Tories will increase the threshold at which people paying tax to 12,500.  Which sounds good but turns out it won't be to 2020 so what with inflation isn't quite as good as it first sounds.  This good news for the poor is offset by benefits that would be frozen for 2 years thus reduce in real terms. The money saved from this is conveniently what we expect to spend bombing ISIS.  

Who do people think will form the next government?  I can't see anyone getting a majority as it stands.  Personally I'm hoping for a Labour-SNP coalition.  We'd be kept in Europe at least (unless Labour decide to back a referendum, but I don't think that's likely, is it?)

From a scottish point of view I think the Labour vote will collapse if Brown's home rule promises aren't kept (which of course they won't be).  Interesting times!

• Paid Members

Interesting piece by YouGov today: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/29/ukip-snp-and-risks-parliamentary-paralysis/

It raises the possibility (or at least the elevation from highly unlikely to unlikely) of a situation where four factors -- Labour & Conservatives being close, Lib Dems doing badly, UKIP getting a handful of seats, SNP doing very well -- could combine to mean that even a Labour/Lib Dem or Conservative/Lib Dem coalition wouldn't make a majority.

Certainly interesting.  If that happens then surely the only advantage of First Past the Post doesn't really apply anymore.  If we just end up with coalition governments anyway under FPTP we should really just switch to a PR system?  

Would Labour consider a minority government? It worked well for the SNP in Holyrood.

My opinion about politics Labour & Liberal - Lib-Lab [talking shit] and Conservitives [Conning us left, right & centre]. 

I stopped  helping them deprive US of everything WE once had.

And in the "art imitating life" category, Cameron slips up and says how his party resents poor people, instead of represents.

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/itn-news/pm-resents-poor-155637175.html

Cameron represents him and his rich buddies and no-body else.

School & GCSE's "brainwash" you, they want good little wage slaves who won't question authority. 

So UKIP have got their first MP elected with possibly another to follow.  Why are so many people voting for them? They don't seem to have much in the way of policies as far as I can tell?  Can someone tell me for instance what the top rate of tax would be under a UKIP government or what their plans for the NHS are?  Where do they stand on TTIP, strongly against surely? If so then why why aren't they making a big deal of it?