General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Women use "slut" in exactly that non-sexual sense (Nigella Lawson has done it) but it's not a good move at a women in politics event, especially when you have previous. It's a bit like Nick Griffin going to a BME politics conference and opening up with "What's up, niggers" and then complaining black people are allowed to say it.

Despite their relatively large number of idiots, I'm really enjoying the rise of UKIP and their change into a proper, professional political party.

If they get a few MPs at the next election, it could throw everything open. Even with the shitty FPTP system, we could end up with 4 main political parties, and the various coalition potentials that entails. Will make politics more interesting and inclusive.

People in this country (especially the press) seem finally to be getting their heads round how coalition-style politics works. Just look at the German elections going on right now - they have 3 or 4 potential coalition governments that might form.

The way I see it, at the next election UKIP will eat into the Tory base and stop the Tories from taking some key seats from Labour and the Lib Dems; they'll also make the Lib Dems lose a few seats as UKIP is now the protest vote party. The Tories will also lose some marginals to Libs and Labour. The result of that may be that Labour will get most seats, but not a majority, so you'll either get a Lab-Lib coalition, or potentially a Con-Ukip coalition. or even a Con-Lib-Ukip coalition to keep Labour out!

The result of that may be that Labour will get most seats, but not a majority, so you'll either get a Lab-Lib coalition, or potentially a Con-Ukip coalition. or even a Con-Lib-Ukip coalition to keep Labour out!

Pretty sure that UKIP have said that under no circumstances would they form a coalition with the Conservatives.

The result of that may be that Labour will get most seats, but not a majority, so you'll either get a Lab-Lib coalition, or potentially a Con-Ukip coalition. or even a Con-Lib-Ukip coalition to keep Labour out!

Pretty sure that UKIP have said that under no circumstances would they form a coalition with the Conservatives.

Surely bluffing, seeing as none of the other parties would have anything to do with them and Farage would be at least as opportunistic as Clegg if presented with the chance of some power. What a fucking country this would be to live in if a UKIP/Tory coalition came into power. Would be like being run by a Partridge/Clarkson/Littlejohn axis.

• Paid Members

I don't think there's any serious prospect of UKIP getting any meaningful number of seats at the general election. Their support isn't geographically concentrated enough, even compared with the Lib Dems, and they don't have the resources to win seats, particularly as they plan to put up candidates everywhere. Look at how the Greens, who've got a similar number of councillors to UKIP, had to put everything into a single seat in the place most suite dto their politics and with their only recognisable figure and still only just scraped in.

• Moderators
Despite their relatively large number of idiots, I'm really enjoying the rise of UKIP and their change into a proper, professional political party.

I'm going to assume you've not seen the news over the last week then. Even Roger Helmer was being dragged over the coals for his rape apologism (real word?)

Edited by PowerButchi