General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
There are. But they were already available to gay couples. This vote was about the use of the word "married". About the institution rather than its ancillary benefits.

No, I got that bit. I was thinking more in the context of the discussion over the past few posts, with people saying they didn't see why anyone would want to get married as it was meaningless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

How did we miss this one then, chaps? The Israelis had been surreptitiously giving birth control to immigrants under the guise of the injections being innoculations. If you're an Ethiopian Jew looking to head to the Promised Land, you might need to know that some of the scholars will question whether you're a true Jew and the prime minister will ask whether you "threaten our existence as a ... Jewish state".

Stealth sterilisation reminds me of the practices of another regime that one would hope the Israelis wouldn't wish to emalate. They've put a stop to the practice recently but I would bet the racism that underlay it hasn't abated one bit.

Israeli government adopts yet another racist practice.

*looks around for any trace of surprise*

Nope, none there.

Just as absent as surprise is the widespread international condemnation we'd no doubt see if this was North Korea or Iran.

Crazy what you can consider acceptable when you genuinely believe you have a god on your side.

They don't need a God. They have the US Government backing them up.

Edited by David

Crazy what you can consider acceptable when you genuinely believe you have a god on your side.

They don't need a God. They have the US Government backing them up.

Crazy what the US government considers acceptable just because they genuinely believe they have a god on their side... This could go on for a while!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone see the UKIP woman on Question Time. She was asked to explain her by-election leaflet claiming 4 million Bulgarians will come to the UK when it joins the EU, despite there only being 7 million people there.

Her explanation was that somebody did a survey and 56% of Bulgarians said they'd like to live abroad. Everyone brushed aside the question of how many of them will actually leave their country and asked why she assumed they'd all move to the UK.

She explained that its obvious they'll come here because we have the best benefits and "in Bulgaria they earn about

• Paid Members

You can excuse that last part by saying that she meant months rather than weeks. The proportions wouldn't change. The Cheeky Girls were on This Week, the programme that follows QT, speaking intelligently about the immigration issue and they stated that Britain's benefits are a lure because they're comparatively generous compared to wages in that part of the world. That makes sense; Bulgaria's per-capita GDP is about 40% of ours and one fifth of the workforce is looking for work.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So did anybody here vote for UKIP, then?

I think if they are now the "fourth party" they need a better, cooler name.

EDIT: Christ. Just been reading the BBC's overview of UKIP position on different issues. They are skeptical about the existence of man-made climate change and would scrap all subsidies for renewable energy. They would "double" prison spaces (presumably with magic?) They want to build loads of battleships and shit. That's putting aside their position on things like Trident, same-sex marriage and all the rest of it.

They are a little bit nuts, it has to be said.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Does this really have any long term effects or is it just a case of a fringe party doing better than expected from protest voting? I remember when everyone was having kittens over the BNP doing well once only for the party to get wiped out once the general elections came around and most people realized what a rotten bunch they really are.

Edited by The King Of Swing