General politics discussion thread

David

Will social attitudes to incest and adult-youth relationships ever change in the way attitudes to homosexuality have changed in the last 100 years?

To be honest, the incest thing got me thinking. Other than apparent issues with breeding, what arguments are there to say that incest is wrong? I mean personally I squeal at the thought of it, because society has told me all my life this is very wrong and even being as open-minded as I am, I think of it as wrong. But why is it wrong?

I'm not touching the adult-youth topic with a 50ft pole.

The family principle involves having someone else to fall back on if your relationships (at any level) turn to shit. You'll always have family even if you have no friends or lovers. If a partnership that serious between close siblings sours completely could they really turn back at any point? even when things are really good in life for either party apart?

Incest is mainly wrong for the breeding thing, but also because some bridges aren't meant to burn at all.

Incest is only wrong because of the genetic implications and has nothing to do with any emotional support that family may provide. It's a perfectly normal evolutionary response to the problem of bearing spasticated children. Even flowers don't fuck their sisters, if they can avoid it.

Correct. No logical argument whatsoever. Fighting an instinct that's taken hundreds of millions of years to develop might be a bit of a struggle though.

EDIT: If they get sterilised or don't want kids, there is also, of course, no logical argument to get married or even get together.

Edited by King Coconut

Extending that, there's no real argument against incestuous gay marriage at all, as they can't ever procreate. So really, we should legalize that as soon as possible for all the brotherfuckers out there.

Correct. No logical argument whatsoever. Fighting an instinct that's taken hundreds of millions of years to develop might be a bit of a struggle though.

EDIT: If they get sterilised or don't want kids, there is also, of course, no logical argument to get married or even get together.

How does this not also apply to gays?

How does this not also apply to gays?

It does. I'm baffled that the gayers even want to get married.

Marriage is worthless and meaningless even with kids. It's a religious remnant of times when it was necessary to prove possession of your womenfolk. I love my boy with all my heart and will look after him until the day I die and he will never question the lack of marriage certificate.

I love being married and have no intention of ever having kids. The difference between our relationship before and after the wedding is subtle but significant, and I don't think we'd have got that from a "civil partnership".

But in terms of the law, as I understand it any legal ramifications from marriage are also the same for civil partnership.

• Paid Members

I was under the impression there were legal implications for official marriages/civil unions, hence I can see why people might want to get hitched - although for me personally, when I see the supposed benefits, I'm not sure they justify the sacrifice sometimes.

There are. But they were already available to gay couples. This vote was about the use of the word "married". About the institution rather than its ancillary benefits.