What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

Finally got around to getting Netflix. I house-sat for 2 weeks in the summer, and they had it, so I just lay around watching Louis Theroux, but now I'm rewatching Spartacus (aka the greatest show ever), and it's still the greatest show ever. Also binged through The Detectorists, which passed me by at the time. It's rarely laugh out loud funny, but the characters are so delightful that it's enjoyable just spending time with them. And like most good shows about a thing, it really makes me want to buy a metal detector and walk about fields.

• Paid Members

Detectorists is my favourite show for ages. Think I've mentioned it in the thread before. Such brilliantly defined and likable characters who make the mundane fascinating. Only took the first episode for me to decide I loved it. When I realised allow much I already liked and cared about Lance and Andy.

Becky's lovely an' all.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Finally got around to getting Netflix. I house-sat for 2 weeks in the summer, and they had it, so I just lay around watching Louis Theroux, but now I'm rewatching Spartacus (aka the greatest show ever), and it's still the greatest show ever.

Is Spartacus on Netflix?. I only ever saw the first series.

• Moderators

Yeah, every episode.

Forgot, when house-sitting, I also watched about 7 episodes of Rome. Couldn't get into it at all. It's very well regarded, and usually mentioned as part of that prestige HBO drama group, but it felt a bit... cheap and dull. Spartacus and Game of Thrones really upped the scope and intrigue of historical shows, so it came off as rather flat, like something made 20 years earlier than it was. I know it's based on real history, so obviously couldn't be filled with too-crazy twists, and I'll give it another go at some point.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I didn't read the books as I'm a bit old but the Jim Carrey A series of unfortunate events film is probably my favourite children's film that's come out since I've been an adult, I had high hopes for the new netflix series and the first episode was great. Jim Carrey can't really be topped but Neil Patrick Harris seems like he'll be really good too and the whole thing feels just like the film, even the kids look the same, the biggest change is) the massively different from Jude Law) Patrick Warburton as the narrator but more Puddy is never a bad thing.

Yep. I gave it a watch despite never seeing the film and NPH is brilliant! The look and design is great too, my gf mentioned something called Pushing Daisies and how some of the team are behind this. Barry Sonnerfeld being one.