What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Anybody been watching James May: The Reassembler on BBC4? It's the televisual equivalent to watching paint dry in terms of its actual content/style. Unless you're into watching old technology/machinery being assembled piece by piece. James May tells some wonderfully amusing anecdotes and makes some rather amusing comments which make it entirely bearable and entertaining if you're into James May's sense of humour. He's very knowledgeable as well. You'll either think it's as dull as dishwater, or surprisingly pleasant viewing. The episodes turn up on Youtube eventually as well.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Moderators

Started watching the first few episodes of Dirk Gently - Netflix show based on Douglas Adams book and made by Max Landis.

Enjoying it so far, but it's an odd one. The very concept has this deus ex machina baked in, so it would easy for it to just be weird for the sake of it. So if it doesn't all come together satisfactorily it will have been a garbage waste of time, but I won't know until the end. For now though, it is compelling enough to keep me watching.

Some poor acting though from some of the folks involved.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Endeavour is a wonderful programme. I just want to give Roger Allam a big hug. He constantly looks like a shar-pei who's just got home from having his sack cut off. 

He wasn't such a delight in The Missing season 2 or Speed Racer.

Bonus fact, he narrates CBeebies show Sarah and Duck

Oh yeah. I heard she had a new show.. Is it similar kind of humour or what? What's the premise anyway?

Very similar humour. She's basically Sweet Dee and her sister is married to a multi millionaire and they live in a massive mansion with their 3 kids. One day her sister and husband get arrested for tax evasion and flee the country and Dee has to go and look after the spoiled brat niece and nephews and look after the house until they're back.

• Paid Members

I was talking about this with someone earlier this week — I hated the show at the start, then really liked it for a couple of years, wishing it ended with the festival. Then, it went to shit for a good length of time, and picked up towards the end of the penultimate season. Watched a tiny bit of the last season, gave up. Total shite. Googled how it ended for the characters, I can't watch that crap.

• Moderators

My wife and I were just fidgeting and sighing audibly for the entire duration of the last couple episodes, shoveling snack foods as the only way we could get through it.

I wouldn't normally bother to continue with a bad show, but there was so little left I felt like we should just see it through. I can't say I recommend it.

Edit: just watched the first couple episodes of Atlanta. That cleansed my brain palette suitably. Good stuff, I can tell already that I'm going to enjoy it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Excellent. I'm still on series 1. One of my favourite things I've ever witnessed is a drunk Nick Helms doing the "No survivors" bit for a good 15 minutes at Reading Festival.

He would stop, leave a gap, then start up again...the gap got to about 2 minutes at the longest...then he'd start up again "NOOOOO survivooooors" legit heat.