What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Watched the second episode of the new Black Mirror. Glad I gave it another chance, as it was loads better than the first one.

I was going to say when you mentioned about the first episode. It felt just slightly removed from the rest of the episodes and not quite nasty enough. Looking at it, it seems it was a story by Brooker that was written by Rashida Jones. Just doesn't feel quite as dark as the others.

Episodes 3 and 4 are the stand outs for the series. 1 and 6 are, in my eyes, the weakest.

• Moderators

3 was excellent! That was proper Black Mirror... Reminded me why I liked the show so much in the first place.

I've recently been watching Still Game. If someone had pitched the concept to me I would have told them to fuck off, but it's really good! I caught an episode by accident on tv, and then find they've got them all on Netflix.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

On paper it looks like some Mrs Browns Boys type shite but yeah it's bloody ace, I need to catch up on the new series. The episode where they're trying to get the bench at the park in the morn' has me cracking up something rotten.

Back aaf ya spooky bitch routinely enters my mind.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Still Game is gold whereas Limmy's Show is nuggets of fools' gold in an Olympic sized pool of shit. The Mr Mulvaney and DeeDee sketches are Limmy's best, I'd say, the rest are pretty weak and the terrible comedy acting from the supporting cast does nothing to help.

Still Game though, I struggle to think of a weak episode in the first six series.

• Paid Members

Is there any benefit at all to TV shows showing you clips from the future before showing the whole story? Does anyone actually like that? Because it really frustrates me and ive seen two examples of it recently -

Breaking Bad final series

Why did they have to show us a bearded Walt in the diner before the final series got going? All it did for me was tell me that he was 1) alive and 2) not in prison, meaning that the cat and mouse between Hank and Walt was so underwhelming because you knew how it ended for the main character.

American Horror Story latest series - spoilers up to episode 6 (please no spoilers after e6 as Im not completely up to date)

So at the start of the latest series we know which characters survive the initial blood moon because they are at the studio talking about it. This was a bit annoying at first but understand why they went down this route now the second part of the story has started. But last night in e6, when all the guests arrive at the house, they put a screen up saying "only one person survives the next three days" - why did they feel the need to do that? I guess they wanted to let us know the rest of the series will be found footage but then just say that?

It depends how it's done. I don't like, for example, when an episode of Columbo starts off with a series of clips from throughout the show you're about to watch, as if to sell a total newcomer on the kind of show it is.

But if it's used as a storytelling device, then it's okay. Like on this week's Holby City, which started with a shot of a recurring character laying on the floor with a pool of blood under his head, and then went back 48 hours to spend the rest of the episode revealing how that happened. It helped frame the next hour as a "whodunnit" rather than a regular episode that happened to end in violence.