What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Anyone seen Hypernormalisation on iPlayer? Engaging documentary/theory on how political and societal events have formed the world we live in today. It's almost three hours, but I rewound parts and had a break half way through and it was fine. Great archive footage, great soundtrack.

Yeah, thought it was really good if not thoroughly depressing. Made me want to sell my house & just go & live 'off grid' on a barge. I like Adam Curtis, he's never been able to match his 'Power of Nightmares' series though for me. That's essential viewing if you've not seen it already.

• Paid Members

In other news I'm really enjoying Westworld. It's the best thing on telly right now by some distance.

Yeah me too. The scene in last weeks episode with Anthony Hopkins & the woman from corporate was top notch scenery chewing from Sir Tony.

I'm about 9 episodes into the first series of Narcos too. I knew a bit about Escobar but the use of news footage from the time is brilliant. I was completely ignorant to some of the crazy shit that went down in Colombia at that time. If it wasn't true I wouldn't believe it.

• Paid Members

Michael Portillo Ponces About on Trains (plus bonus geography). It's great. Portillo turning face is one of this generations great rehabilitation stories. Like if Idi Aminn came back to present the South Bank Show.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Part of it is his lovely outfits I grant you. It's absolutely astonishing the variety of identical tailored blazer and trouser combos he has. Who gives a flying fuck about the imperial majesty of the former Hapsburg Empire when Michael is rocking a salmon pink jacket with mustard yellow chinos?

I don't watch This Week. Diane Abbott causes me to come down with the death. I think it's the simpering and enormously patronising tone of voice more than any policy.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Diane Abbott's massive hypocrisy is what fuels my massive dislike for her. Following the Partridge advice of "You don't mess around with your own" to a T, and also having Jonathan Aitken by a Godparent to one of her kids. No ta!

Michael Portillo's train journeys are my favourite show on the box by a margin, I won't lie. A mate and myself are spending a month travelling Europe in March with an interail pass - the idea is pretty much inspired from the Great Continental railway journeys.

Mike, Narcos totally deserves the praise it's had. Season 2 is even better than the first.

• Paid Members

Yeah, similar tale here actually Steak. Me and a couple of mates are off to a gig in Belgium in February and instead of flying direct we're Interailing for a week instead. I haven't quite got the bottle to admit it's from a programme about trains featuring Michael Portillo. I get enough grief for being an avid viewer of Midsomer Murders.

• Paid Members

I think the only Ken Loach I ever actually watched more than a half a time or once, was The Wind that Shakes the Barley.

That was a breathtaking movie and one I could watch over and over again.

I haven't seen the Angels Share, but a Glaswegian lass I work with absolutely swears by it.

Did you or anyone else catch Ken on question time last week?

He went down a fuck the system route and got a decent round of applause. He was on an attacking defence, it was really amusing to watch. One of the politician panelists tried to state how much she liked his new film and tried to summarise what she thought it stood for, he pretty much told her to behave and shut up.

He stated he was against the new run way and that people needed to take more notice of climate change. To which an audience member suggested next time Ken wins an award for a movie from another country, he shouldn't bother flying to collect it.

He's a character like.