UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Is ICW on demand worth it? Who has subscribed? Do they edit out the music they don't have rights to? The music was half the fun when I saw them live last year. It'd be a shame if Grado came out to some poncy stock music, like how the ECW shows weren't half as fun when they had to re-dub crap music over everything.

The music is the worst thing about the on demand. They've changed a lot of their themes in the last year to stuff by local bands so that plays in full. People like Grado and Kenny Williams who have awesome themes suffer on demand because they mute the sound on their entrance and you lose any sense of atmosphere.

I subscribe, completely agree on the music part. Some of the newer shows have just cut to wrestlers in the ring to avoid it. Contet wise you get something new every week, and they have started putting on interviews with the likes of mr anderson and billy gunn when over. I'd give it a try even just to watch Sundays show

After being reminded of 'Rumble' the TV show with Lesley Joseph and Brian Glover on the BBC, have the BBC ever showed any pro-wrestling matches?. I know recently they did the Kendo doc in the 1990's and more recently the Sheamus doc, the ICW ones, one about Fergal Devitt & Bullet Club in NJPW, the radio DJ doc when he visits WWE wrestlers/Divas backstage etc. But did they ever show any British Wrestling or WWF etc. I know ITV has a long history of televised wrestling and Channel 4 showed the WWF for a while, Channel 5 showed WCW for a time also. Thanks

OK thanks. It seems ITV started the ball rolling with televised wrestling in the United Kingdom back in 1955. Surprised the BBC didn't capitalize on the WWF's success in the late 80s/early 90s and either tried to show some WWF shows, or bid for WCW. I don't know if it would have replaced Noel's House Party et al as Saturday Night entertainment but if they aired it around like 5pm it would have had a big audience. Or if the BBC couldn't get a US promotions shows they could have brought the World of Sport style back on TV as ITV cancelled wrestling in 1988. I wonder in hindsight whether the WWF would have been bigger in popularity if the shows were on BBC or ITV instead of Sky since the audience base would have been much larger. 

I think the main reason WWF never showed up on BBC or ITV was simply because Sky always made sure that they held the rights to it. Plus I don't think they could've matched what Sky were paying for it.  I heard that's why Channel 4 dropped it because they couldn't afford to renew a contract with them. But Channel 4 always claimed it was dropped because the ratings were poor for the 8 PPVs that they purchased.