The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

An almost inevitable recommendation, but Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing. Generally held, along with Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, as being a major factor in reimagining comics as not only being just for kids. Moore's run on this title is particularly amazing - supernatural horror, dealing with a lot of morbid and fascinating concepts.

Strongly recommended.

• Paid Members

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not a big comics guy. I've on TPB3 at the moment of Preacher and absolutely loving it, although you've already said before you like Preacher, Chest, so that doesn't help you. The last thing before that I read was Y: The Last Man which was really good. Although that was years ago when it was first released I read it and I never finished the series, but I hear it's rated highly.

• Moderators

I have read a lot of the books mentioned here, but there's certainly a few that I'll be checking out, so cheers guys!

More Warren Ellis, tbh. Doktor Sleepless was great (although it never ended, just stopped being written).

It was great. Warren Ellis has a real habit of starting things I really enjoy and them not bothering to see them through. It fucks me right off!

Spurs: I have heard mixed things about Y, and I think it was ultimately Pitcos that put me off reading it..

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I want to read some comics. Please give me some recommendations! Some superhero stuff would be good, but happy for other stuff too.. I don't care about particular characters, more about good writers. So specific arcs / authors would be great. Just finished a re-read of Transmet and fucking loved it again. So would like to continue with some more good shit.

The Boys might be just up your alley fella. It's written by Preacher's own Garth Ennis. Without giving too much away, it's about a group of under-the-radar 'agents', who are employed by the government to keep superheros in check. This is because SuperHero teams have now become a money-making industry, thus most of them are careless, arrogant, selfish pricks. It's funny, bloody, engaging and has some great critique of superhero trends. Also, the two main characters are English and Scottish, making their respective dialogue an absolute joy to read.

Edited by Accident Prone

Give Y a go if you want, Chest. I've not read it since the initial run, but my memory of it is that it was very like Lost: Intriguing and thrilling when it started, but degenerated into shite by the end.

Comic question, which comic was it that had a story about a gay Nazi kid with an Indian boyfriend? I remember there being a shop where one (or both) worked and he had to hide the relationship from his nazi mates. Was it Sandman?

• Paid Members

Pitcos, that was Mike Carey's Lucifer (a great series in its own right for anyone that hasn't read it - and incredibly different to the Amazon TV series).

Some other recommendations of current stuff:

Saga (Brian K Vaughan / Fiona Staples)- a space opera. Really good at times, if a little rambling. But it's not like anything else out there.

Bitch Planet (Kelly Sue DeConnick / Valentine De Landro) - Women in Prison movie set in space. Dark and smart, with some pretty cool stuff going on.

Criminal (Ed Brubaker / Sean Philips) - Each story is stand-alone (for the most part), with proper noir crime stories. Gorgeous artwork too. The same pairing did another noir series called The Fade Out.

Transformers: More than meets the eye (James Roberts / Alex Milne) - I'm genuinely shocked how much fun and how smart this series is. I've hated a lot of the Transformers comics, but this is just enormously entertaining.

• Moderators

Oh, I read the first book of Saga ages ago when there was a water-damaged copy in the bargain bin of my local shop! I enjoyed it. Will check that out. Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

If one were to want to, say, read this on his Surface using the Cover app, does anyone know where one might get hold of some scans? Especially for in the first instance when I just want to see if I like a title or now. I mean, um. If one likes the title or not.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I would strongly recommend DC's Hitman. It's written by Garth Ennis and tells the story of a hitman in Gotham City's Irish section who gets the power of x-ray vision and telepathy. I know a lot of people either overlook or just don't like the premise but I found it to be some of the best character writing and it genuinely made me laugh out loud and then a few pages I had a tear in my eye. 

Also, Transformers More Than Meets the Eye is really enjoyable. I've only picked up a couple but found it really fresh and entertaining without being all broody and gloomy 

The current run of the Vision by Tom King is absolutely fantastic. I think there are 2-3 issues left as he has been contracted by DC to write the ongoing Batman series.

I'll also agree with the praise for Transformers MTMTE. Excellent series.

Has anyone been reading Ringside? It's ostensibly about pro wrestling although there's not been much of it featured so far.

• Paid Members

Second the recommendation of Lucifer - tremendous series, although probably best read in conjunction with Swamp Thing and Sandman, as they're all tied together (though not too deeply - perfectly fine to read them all by themselves).

Also, another strong recommendation: Grant Morrison's run of Doom Patrol. When I first heard of them, I thought "oh, not yet another superhero team", but Morrison does some excellent work placing them as the superhero team that deal with all the freaky and insanse stuff that the regular supes just won't touch. An example of this insanity is that their greatest enemies are the Brotherhood of Dada, whose goal isn't to destroy or conquer the world, but to make everything absurd and bizarre.

Unlike most superheroes, none of the Doom Patrol actually want their abilities, or even to be heroes. Robotman's a cyborg whose only human part is his brain, Negative Man is possessed by a Negative Energy parasite so he has to stay wrapped in bandages, and Crazy Jane has Multiple Personality Disorder - each of her 54 personalities has a different power, but she can't guarantee which one's going to show up.