The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Ok cheers, Its hard to know if they are all tangentially connected or actually properly part of the narrative.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

So this DC reboot starts pretty soon. I'm a pretty loyal DC guy and despite it's faults I read quite a few of the New 52 titles and it was certainly a decent enough groundwork that I don't think they need to wipe the slate clean. I can't believe they're rebooting the whole thing again, does anyone know anywhere where they're explaining it and what titles we'll get? If it's anything like Marvel's recent reinventions Batman will be a little black girl or something.

We're nearly at the midway point of Dark Knight III: The Master Race, what do we all make of it so far? I think calling it a tad ropey would be a massive understatement, but I'm going to perservere with it. I don't know if it's just lacking in what the story has been so far or if Miller is vastly overrated

I've actively avoided the book on purpose even though I am a massive fan of Miller's earlier works. The reason for this is he hasn't been good for fucking years. His run on Allstar Batman was laughably bad, DKR II was a shitty retread of his far better book and he went on to think he was actually a film director and shat out the abomination known as The Spirit.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought Civil War and The Killing Joke.. 2 comics I really should have read by now..

Any more classic comics DC//Marvel or anyone else i should read??

I've got so far on my list..

Batman Arkham Asylum

Dark Knight Returns

Batman The Long Halloween

Batman Hush

Edited by King of Hamptons

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I want to read some comics. Please give me some recommendations! Some superhero stuff would be good, but happy for other stuff too.. I don't care about particular characters, more about good writers. So specific arcs / authors would be great. Just finished a re-read of Transmet and fucking loved it again. So would like to continue with some more good shit.

I'm pretty much exclusively a Batman reader when it comes to superhero stuff, but these will probably be recommended a hundred times over:

Year One and The Dark Knight Returns (both written by Frank Miller), The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory (sequel to Long Halloween), Venom, Hush, Earth One (reimagine of the origin story), A Death In The Family, Arkham Asylum, The Black Mirror, Absolution.

For newer Batman stuff from the New52 relaunch- The Court of Owls followed by The City of Owls and Death of The Family are all written by Scott Snyder, who also wrote The Black Mirror that I mentioned before

As for none superhero stuff, The Unwritten is a very good series- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unwritten

Snowpiercer is good and is only two books

V for Vendetta, Sin City and The Watchmen are about as iconic as comic books get, and I'd personally recommend reading the Oldboy manga series

• Paid Members

I'm very much a fan of old DC comics books, and they weren't that into continuing stories — however, I can recommend the Legion of Super Heroes stories Earthway, The Great Darkness Saga, and The Legion of Super Villains arc (which is collected as An Eye for An Eye, in the tpb I have). Can also recommend the Janus Contract, as the best Teen Titans story.