General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Wow, when I first heard of this "homage" I was totally apathetic towards it but it now looks rather interesting.

Wow they at least got the tone down pat. That trailer is better than anything Argentos done in a good 20 years. Hopefully it's good and does super business. I'd love a Giallo renaissance.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

I realise why it hasn't but I would have got a kick out of it being called Halloween 3, seeing as it's a direct sequel to the first two. That way we can all just refer to 3 as Season of the Witch and be done with it.

I'm on the fence with that trailer. The story all looks good but the slasher moments felt clumsy and suspenseless. Which I would have thought they would want to nail in the trailer. Early days of course.

Funnily I've just finished off the US Blu-ray boxset. The only one I truly don't get on with is Rob Zombie's Halloween 2. It's an astonishing mess. Particularly as I'm in the minority that thinks his first one is pretty brilliant. Part 6 in both it's cuts are a mess too but they feel more like proper slasher movie messes.

• Paid Members

Agreed on Zombie's Halloween 2. It was dirt, with poxy horses showing up all over the kip. It was such a let down as I thought his first flick in the franchise was brilliant.
Also, they're ignoring 1981's sequel. They're going from Halloween 1 and ignoring everything else. Nobody is questioning it and it's getting people excited, which is why I really believe Fox fucked it by not letting Blomkamp have a crack at retconning the Alien franchise.

I thought both of Zombie's films were dogshit, giving the back story of Myers being an abused child hence why he goes on a killing spree is boring. Its better just having a masked nutter who kills people for no reason than exlaining every little thing taking away the mystique of the character

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rey_Piste said:

I thought both of Zombie's films were dogshit, giving the back story of Myers being an abused child hence why he goes on a killing spree is boring. Its better just having a masked nutter who kills people for no reason than exlaining every little thing taking away the mystique of the character

You're definitely not alone. I think that's what most people think. The thing is there are 8 previous movies.(producers cut of 6 is near enough a different  movie) You have that version of the character. I thought it was a pretty ballsy departure and very well executed. If I had one criticism it would be the Myers family were too repulsive. It puts everyones nose out of joint instantly when you start horror movies with deeply unsympathetic characters. Once young Michael starts killing people though he levels the playing field and it's ace.

Having rewatched the 2018 trailer I think it's Michael's movements that are bothering me. He's a very established character. Similarly to Jason. They move specifically. Even in Zombie's films.

In the trailer the little hand movements that Michael makes with the knife for instance seem way to human and any old bloke to me. I'm probably over analysing it but it doesn't quite click.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've been warned by a mate not to watch that Halloween trailer, as it apparently gives a lot away. Is that the case?

It gives you a pretty good idea of how myers ends up killing again and some of the confrontations but I don't feel it's been spoiled for me. They showed one scare I would rather they'd saved for the film as well but hopefully there's lots more.