General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Have gnawed half my  top lip off with excitement and disbelief over that Glass trailer. 

And my daughter woke up and walked into the room as me and the missus were watching In the Name of the Father and asked why Nanny McPhee is a man, in relation to Pete Postlethwaite. Life is good right now

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I watched Coco last night. About half way through I got quite bored and drifted off with my phone as it fell into "kid runs through a place looking for something... with HILARIOUS consequences." 

But then the third act kicks in (from the concert) and it delivers in buckets. An absolutely terrific finish that had us all welling up, floored by the emotion of it. 

Spent most of today listening to the soundtrack. ¡POCO LOCO~! 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

http://www.darkhorizons.com/oscars-adding-a-popular-film-category/

The academy have made the controversial decision to add an award for "best achievement in popular film", presumably to recognise blockbuster type films. I haven't given a shit about the Oscars for years but I think it would be better if they were just more open minded with the normal nominations than segregate any blockbusters into another category.

But if they didn't create a category for them, they'd be accused of being snobbish towards blockbusters as they wouldn't be nominated.  Oscars are supposed to be about the "Art", the trophy for blockbusters is box office.  Next we'll be having the "Best Spandex Fascistic Twat" Oscar.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't thnk trotting a film out and saying "it's not a proper film but people like it" benefits anyone really. I'm not saying man of steel should be nominated for best picture but it would be a shame if something like lord of the rings could never have a chance of winning ever again. Not that anyone should care because it's all bullshit paid for politicking anyway.

• Paid Members

It's a stupid idea as most of the films they nominate are 'popular films' anyway.

I'd say it's more snobbish of them to create that award than not because it's a bit like saying "Ugh, here's some films that are not quite proper films, are they?"

Who cares about the Oscars anyway.