General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bone Tomahawk is on Film4 tonight at 11:20 and needless to say you should all watch it.

Bone tomahawk is great. Was it you who did a thread about the good movies coming up on free TV? That was cool, I wish people were still contributing to it, I always miss good films when they're on TV. 

• Paid Members

I was considering resurrecting that but like with most things, I get bored after about a fortnight. Might bring it back soon because all the films I watch off the telly are on free channels anyway so I might as well share what I'm interested in. Plus Talking Pictures TV has launched since I last did that thread, always some old gems on there, and Movies4Men shows some cracking stuff these days.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Loki said:

For some reason I think Luke Evans would make a good Bond.  He's a physical presence and has that "glint".

I missed this post and I wish I'd kept missing it. You're even worse at Bond than @PunkStep

I blame Marvel.  If that Sun reported thing above is to be believed, it would be to franchise out the Bond universe.  They toyed with a Jinx spin off before but this is more proof, which it is it definitely is, that Marvel are ruining cinema.

• Paid Members

I obviously like comic movies but I've never liked the way the movie adaptations feel a need to give the stories an "ending" (like the horrific dark knight rises). It's not how comics work and I'd much rather the comic adaptations took a leaf out of bond's book and just recast and do new adventures constantly forever than bond copy them and give it a stupid ending attached to one actor who's given too much behind the scenes pull and then find a convoluted way to carry on the same story with a new cast.

I’ve only seen about 5 Bond so far from a Bond fan, which I know makes me a complete philistine, but is ever addressed how Bond never ages, as he’s clearly been around since the 60s and been different people. I always liked the idea that ‘007, James Bond’ was a code name that could’ve given to different agents. There is no James Bond the person, he just exists as an alias 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’ve only seen about 5 Bond so far from a Bond fan, which I know makes me a complete philistine, but is ever addressed how Bond never ages, as he’s clearly been around since the 60s and been different people.

Why would it be? It's a fictional film series.

• Paid Members

I've never understood this desire to have stuff explained that doesn't need explaining. That's why the Craig Bonds are flawed.

The others were all standalones. There were odd references to previous films but they were not important to the general plot. Now, by it all being about Bond rather than what he's trying to stop, they're running into waters where they might have to explain stuff like that.

Daniel Craig's a great actor. But he clearly doesn't understand the character and his history at all.

• Paid Members

Bond is that character where less really is more. You don’t need massive depths or to know why he does things and the films exist out of time.  He’s a super spy that out-smarts baddies and charms exotic ladies.I don’t care if his dad didn’t love him. 

The only exception I will accept is that he shags about because Telly Savalis shot his missus. 

42 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

If Christopher Nolan gets his hands on the series, I bet he'll provide a bloody explanation.

Michael Caine's Bond needs that backstory, Ellen Page will explain it all, or ask the questions to others can provide the answers.