General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Indeed, but when it is created to make money, it's not art.

Not to go all pretentious but the vast majority of Italian Renaissance artists were painting because patrons were paying them rather than solely for artistic merit. Most of the great works of the 16th century were created to make money. Same for the great portraitists of the 17th. It’s still art if you can appreciate it for something beyond the money it made its creator.

edit: no bloody idea why that post has come out two different sizes. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Not to go all pretentious but the vast majority of Italian Renaissance artists were painting because patrons were paying them rather than solely for artistic merit. Most of the great works of the 16th century were created to make money. Same for the great portraitists of the 17th. It’s still art if you can appreciate it for something beyond the money it made its creator.

As were all the great musical works throughout history.  They weren't made by industry bigwigs or marketing divisions with a team of songwriters and producers behind them though, it was the individual.  Although saying that, looking at some of the britches and pantaloons Cosimo De Medici had on in paintings, they were so high up they were very Cowell-esque.  If the pants fit and all that.

• Awards Moderator
33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As were all the great musical works throughout history.  They weren't made by industry bigwigs or marketing divisions with a team of songwriters and producers behind them though, it was the individual.  Although saying that, looking at some of the britches and pantaloons Cosimo De Medici had on in paintings, they were so high up they were very Cowell-esque.  If the pants fit and all that.

He could pick a top star in the making, could Cosimo.

And you could argue that loads of them had teams of underlings who did much of the work with the name artist adding just enough that it could be considered ‘theirs’ - but that’s not quite the same thing I suppose, as the artist themselves was still the driving force. In a similar sort of way to how Marvel try to present their directors (an individual creative voice... until they do something Marvel don’t like).

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Look. They're all art except some are more arty than others.

Never mind all that, this is important:-

He may want to, but I’m not getting excited until someone stumps up for it. I would love a sequel though.

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

When the hell is Sorry To Bother You coming out over here?

Having issues finding a distributor apparently. The Prince Charles had asked the director about screening it

• Paid Members

Looks like my predictions for The Meg were way off and I'm delighted. It just almost made its budget back in its opening weekend and made about $45 million in the US after predictions put it at around $20 million.

Can't wait for The Meg 2!

On 8/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, Keith Houchen said:

As were all the great musical works throughout history.  They weren't made by industry bigwigs or marketing divisions with a team of songwriters and producers behind them though, it was the individual.  

Ehh... not really, especially not in the 20th century.  Major labels put songwriters together with singers, financed them, and produced fantastic music, as a purely commercial endeavour.  Films, like music nowadays, are always a team effort and in my opinion it's art if the outcome is perceived to have artistic merit be the viewer irregardless of the creative process.

Very few blockbusters are anything but good entertainment fodder, but occasionally something really of value comes out of the system.

Anyway, I might go and see The Meg if it's still out, it does sound like a lot of fun.

• Paid Members

This is one of the best trailers I've ever seen. It's short and gets the point over and scares the crap out of you.

Nakashima made the film Confessions, one of the greatest films I've ever seen, so fair to say I'm excited for this.