General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I personally loved the de-aged Kurt Russell, and it's the first time I've thought the technique actually looks convincing.

As I understand it, they're not really doing this for Jackson in Captain Marvel.  It's mainly a wig and some makeup, they're just using CGI to flatten out his forehead.  Whereas they're going all in on de-ageing Agent Coulson.

gallery-1525086624-bguk-1218999-022-ac9z

Jackson with no CGI, you can see the mocap spots on his forehead.

• Paid Members

This doesn't really belong here but I'm putting it here anyway because it's the closest fitting thread. A snippet from an interview with Ethan Hawke where he talks about film schools and cinematography. Really interesting.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This doesn't really belong here but I'm putting it here anyway because it's the closest fitting thread. A snippet from an interview with Ethan Hawke where he talks about film schools and cinematography. Really interesting.

I can listen to him talk for hours but it's odd how dismissive he is of the art of directing when he's been in some very visual films and has directed himself. It's also easy to ignore that some of the best directors of all time had an equally dismissive attitude towards actors ( Hitchcock, Kubrick etc) will have to find the full version of tht for a watch. 

• Paid Members

Taron Egerton is like Sean Penn, to me. I find him to be unlikable (although clearly not the scumbag Penn is), but he does such a good job pretending to not be himself that I always find myself, annoyingly, charmed by his performances. As usual, his presence in the trailer instantly irritates, but no doubt he'll be really good and I'll enjoy the film. The bastard.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

First shots from the new Rambo, Rambo has gone full cowboy to take on the drug cartels 

2018-10-03 11.48.27.png

2018-10-03 11.49.01.png

Was just logging in to post these.  I mean i'm about as on board with a new Rambo film as it's possible to be, but I don't know what to make of these.  Look at the Creed 2 trailer above, Rocky is aged, weathered, but unmistakenly Rocky.  If you'd never seen once since the first, you'd get in a heartbeat who that character was the moment you saw him.  I don't get that same vibe here.  Yet.

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought something similar, I'd rather Rambo had ended up a reclusive old long haired hermit type rather than a clean cut old cowboy. The old cowboy with one last fight is a pretty irresistible trope I guess. Definitely not going to cast judgment after just two pics though, I hope it's great and I think him fighting the cartels is a great direction to go in.