General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

I'd seen some pretty mixed reviews for it on Letterboxd but I'm still going to see it. I'm still expecting it to be shit because it's modern Ridley Scott so it'll be a nice surprise if it isn't, like with The Martian. The Martian is great. Whenever I have a drink now I always think, "Fuck you, Mars."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Saw Jumanji: Welcome to The Jungle. I thought it was an excellent sequel, great cast, great effects, some nice call backs. Much better then it had any right to be and well worth a watch.

Still not better then Paddington 2 which is likely to be my film of the year

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I very much enjoyed the gratuitous tit shot and the inexplicable dinosaur.  Makes you realise how po-faced most modern action movies are.  Hollywood peaked with Commando.

14 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I was actually looking forward to the new Ted Bundy movie with Zac Efron in it and was finally beginning to get behind that casting having initially being against it, and then I find out that annoying Sheldon bollocks from Big Bang Theory is going to be in it too.

That's one bit of stunt casting too much for me.

I hate the Big Bang Theory, terrible sitcom. But I have no issue with the actors themselves and I actually think Jim Parsons isn't a bad actor. How can you say he is stunt casting in a film that "Teen Heartthrob" Zac Efron is in, is frankly ludicrous (who I also rate as an actor)

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I was actually looking forward to the new Ted Bundy movie with Zac Efron in it and was finally beginning to get behind that casting having initially being against it, and then I find out that annoying Sheldon bollocks from Big Bang Theory is going to be in it too.

That's one bit of stunt casting too much for me.

You don't know what stunt casting means, do you.

4 hours ago, mim731 said:

Surely Efron has shed that image now though? Done plenty of credible, well received stuff as an adult. 

Agree on Parsons though, he may be best known for that character, but he's a very decent actor.

I agree. the quote marks were a bit of sarcasm against the stunt casting comment. I thought he was great in the Neighbours films and Baywatch, even if I thought Baywatch was pretty terrible, I couldn't blame him or Rock, they both tried with that script

Edited by Joey Joe Joe

I saw I, Tonya last night. Having not seen Suicide Squad I am not the familiar with Margot Robbie (outside of Wolf of Wall Street). I thought everyone was brilliant in it. I remembered the incident happening but was 10 so I didn't understand it all. I like the fact they leave it to interpretation of what actual happened at certain times in her life.