General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Our Gladders' tremendous review on Letterboxd of Robocop (the original) inspired me to actually watch the film tonight. What a fantastic film. Found myself quoting the way through it.

Give it a read. Lovely stuff. Not my words, the words of Shakin' Stevens.

http://letterboxd.com/settingsun/film/robocop/

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Clarence had the best swagger of any villain I've ever seen. Just tremendous. I love that film. When we used to play footy at college me and a mate would communicate on the pitch by yelling "Listen to me! Listen to me, you fool!" at each other. We watched the ITV version of Robocop on our last day of senior school. I'll never forget that day. Our German teacher gave us a choice of leaving the class and knocking about or watching Robocop. So we watched Robocop. Pissed ourselves laughing because the swearwords were taken out. So instead of "listen to me, you fuck!" it was "listen to me you fool". Also there was one with "I've got enough muscle to shove this factory so far up your stupid fat nose" (instead of "wop ass"). By far the one that had us in stitches (I swear we still talk about this now) was taking "asshole" out and replacing it with "once I even called him ... AIRHEAD". Wonderful film in both cut and uncut formats.

• Paid Members

Ta Ian!

Robocop is a brilliant film. It's unbelievably clever in so many ways but it's great action, great sci-fi, great comedy, great satire and a great thriller. How many films manage to do all those things together? Almost none.

And you know what? Robocop 2 isn't bad either. It's like Jaws 2 and Predator 2 - judged on their own merits, they are perfectly fine films that are just unfortunate enough to be sequels to three utterly awesome films.

• Paid Members

I remember seeing Robocop 2 when it first came out in our video shop. Which must have been when I was 6. Was it just me who had fucking weirdo parents who had no concept of the BBFC classifications act? I would never allow my nieces to watch some of the shite I watched when I was a kid. All the kids I knew were the same as well. Things just seemed different at the time. Anyway, I really like Robocop 2. Cain was different to Clarence, but you are following perfection, so you obviously aren't going to be judged fairly. And Cain didn't bring the belting one liners. The big eared child was a little menace as well. Pretty great performance from him actually. I dont believe I've seen him in anything since. I always used to think the woman was putting tins of Carling Black Label that my Dad used to drink into the giant robot version of Cain. My favourite scene was when they chopped up Robocop and dumped him on the side of the road. Closely followed by Robocop on a motorbike. Robots and motorbikes were so of the time, it was lovely watching Robocop jump on board. When I think of Robocop 2 I think of arcade machines, guns, robots and motorbikes. You dont need anything else in a film. Agree with judging it on its own merits. I was watching a video review of Ghostbusters II recently, and hindsight has put that in a more favourable light as time goes by. Once you step back and stop viewing these films as not being the first one, you appreciate them much more.

Haven't seen Robocop 3 since I first watched it when it was first released and thought it was a massive step down. Just didn't have the feel of the first two. It wasn't half as violent. I know that isnt the making of a great film, but its a Robocop film. You're either in or you're out in terms of the graphic violence and extreme profanity. I'm not even sure Peter Weller was in it. Nancy Allen popped in for a quick hello before knowing when to get out. It was like watching Robocop upside down. It seemed like they were setting the stall out for the eventual television series they did.

• Paid Members
If I ever have the privilege to meet Kurtwood Smith I would absolutely cream myself if he agreed to utter the words "can you fly bobby?".

Has to have the Bobby guy saying "NO!! OF COURSE NOT!!!" <ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!> <thud> after it.

"LEAVE BITCHES" is another fine Kurtwood Smith moment. He's also pretty good in Rambo 3.

ADDED: One of my prized VHS possessions is a very old "Robocop" release. It's in a big box, so it must have been some sort of ex-rental release. It literally has 40 minutes of trailers before it. Trailers for all sorts. Computer games etc. Wonderful throwback to that era.

ADDED AGAIN: Yeah, Peter Weller wasn't in "Robocop 3". It felt like a pilot for the TV show (which I absolutely hated). It had flying ninja robots though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I think the game was released before the film came out as well. I remember ACE magazine talking about it for months before it was released.

That was possibly due to Orion's Bankruptcy issues. Im sure Robocop 3 was delayed for about 18 months, whilst Orion's future, and assets were sorted

"LEAVE BITCHES" is another fine Kurtwood Smith moment. He's also pretty good in Rambo 3.

It's "Bitches, leave" I think, which is even more menacing.

Verhoeven rarely puts a foot wrong, IMO, although Showgirls has aged badly. Black Books was good a few years ago, and even Hollow Man wasn't too shabby on second viewing. He's my favourite director, really, he had that great run of anti-Hollywood, Hollywood movies that US audiences loved whilst completely misunderstanding.

It's a pity he never managed to retain the control of any of the franchises he was involved in, so they'e been fucked around until they're worthless.