General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

"LEAVE BITCHES" is another fine Kurtwood Smith moment. He's also pretty good in Rambo 3.

It's "Bitches, leave" I think, which is even more menacing.

Verhoeven rarely puts a foot wrong, IMO, although Showgirls has aged badly. Black Books was good a few years ago, and even Hollow Man wasn't too shabby on second viewing. He's my favourite director, really, he had that great run of anti-Hollywood, Hollywood movies that US audiences loved whilst completely misunderstanding.

It's a pity he never managed to retain the control of any of the franchises he was involved in, so they'e been fucked around until they're worthless.

It still astounds me that Robo 2 was directed by Irvin Kerschner who directed Empre Strikes Back.

• Paid Members

Its not really that shocking, Kerschner was great at directing dark stuff (Empire being the best Star Wars film by a long way because of him and to no ones surprise its the film Lucas likes least) He did the Eyes Of Laura Mars as well which is a great little film.

• Paid Members

I hated RoboCop 2. I read a feature on it's special effects in (I think) some Commodore Amiga magazine and got really stoked for it. And then I watched the film and it was painful. RoboCop 2 was clumsy and badly animated, with none of the menace of ED 209. RoboCop got taken apart by some chumps with a bunch of Bosch? Fuck off. Did you now see him demolishing the drugs factory in the first film? Instead of setting this gang up to look like a credible threat, it just made RoboCop look like a tit.

Because of hating it so much, I ended up enjoying RoboCop 3 a lot more, although it didn't hold up to repeated viewings. The ninja robots were cool at first, and then it dawns on you that robots that don't move like robots are a bit shit, as they're just a regular bloke holding down F G H and J.

I went and watched 300: Rise of an Emipre last night and whilst it's not bad it just seems like watching the first film again except everything's on boats. Boat combat isn't interesting without cannons, so it's a lot of spears and arrows, with bits of them boarding other boats. Regarding the ending SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Riding a horse between boats is completely fucking ridiculous, why would you have a horse on a boat?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The thing is for a long-running franchise the Turtles output is overall of pretty high quality. The first film was great, the second and third cheesy but OK kids movies, the cartoons have all been really good, the CG film that came out 5 years or so back was ace and some of the video games are lots of fun...but this just looks fucking shit on all levels.