General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

47 minutes ago, Vamp said:

That said there's some interesting discussions around the 'queerness' of The Matrix films that has made me want to revisit them as I don't think I'd have picked up on some of that at the time. 

That’s pretty much why I rewatched them but the sequels are still garbage. 

It's the raw potential of the basic scenario that makes the sequels so disappointing.

Reloaded had some great ideas in terms of action but was perhaps 5 years behind the technological development needed to really execute set-pieces like the burly brawl. They were also in such a rush to rattle off the ideas and exposition that it quickly descended into characters explaining things to each other, with opaque language attempting to mask the fact that no one is actually doing anything. There's no reason for the dialogues involving the Oracle, Smith, and the Architect (jeez) to be so ponderous, but if all you're going to do is have them stand there, there's nothing cinematic for you to do with them; it descends into boring tell-not-show. The end of Reloaded, where Neo fries a machine outside of the Matrix, was enough of a hook to have me coming back for the finale, but I'd've taken any half-baked explanation (Were they still in the Matrix after all? Had Neo's powers evolved in line with the cod-new-age chakra energy line beliefs of the day and allowed him to manipulate the code of life itself? blah blah blah) over the relentless pre-Bayhem mech bin fight we got.

The next Matrix could be tremendous, but of course it depends on what Wachowski wants to do with it. I'm intrigued to see if any of the trans themes are genuinely explored this time, as well as to see what the aging cast can do. Although we don't actually jack our brains into a computer, the world of machines, VR and video games has evolved so that the current world actually fells closer to the world of the original trilogy. It'll be fun to see if they integrate modern tech into the Matrix skillset, e.g. mobile phones versus hardlines for getting in and out.

The one thing currently missing from the trailer for me is the one big hook, the question or set-piece that makes me think I HAVE to see this. Sad Neo having some fights seems like a neutered John Wick, difference being he'll throw your own bullets back at you. Or, god forbid, we end up with Free Guy but with middle-aged ennui.

Edited by CavemanLynn

I think Edgar Wright once said you should take the time to watch films silent if you ever wanted to be a Director to learn about the art of visual storytelling. Not sure if that's bollocks or not but I've given it a go a few times and some do give you a genuine appreciation of the craft. (sorry for using the word craft)

Edited by Factotum

• 2 weeks later...

New Paul Tomas Anderson trailer came out yesterday. I'll watch anything he does anyway, but I loved it. Cooper Hoffman being in this is incredibly sweet given his Dad's legacy with PTA. Also Brady Cooper as Jon Peters looks like it'll be a lot of fun. 

I know the Oscars mean basically fuck all, but it still astounds me that Anderson doesn't have one (or several)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

New trailer for In Search of Darkness 3. The first one didn't do much for me as it was basically a greatest hits of 80s horror and didn't really tell me anything I didn't know but over a bloody long time.

The second I liked a fair bit more as it was getting a bit more obscure and discussing less well trodden fodder.

This one is right up my street. 80s DTV horror. There is a list of the films used in the trailer of which I've only seen 26.

The gimmick of getting the audience to vote for it is good in theory but I've no desire to see Chris Jericho discuss Clownhouse.

Screenshot_20211006-235959_YouTube.jpg

4 hours ago, DEF said:

New trailer for In Search of Darkness 3. The first one didn't do much for me as it was basically a greatest hits of 80s horror and didn't really tell me anything I didn't know but over a bloody long time.

The second I liked a fair bit more as it was getting a bit more obscure and discussing less well trodden fodder.

This one is right up my street. 80s DTV horror. There is a list of the films used in the trailer of which I've only seen 26.

The gimmick of getting the audience to vote for it is good in theory but I've no desire to see Chris Jericho discuss Clownhouse.

Screenshot_20211006-235959_YouTube.jpg

I'm a fan of 80's horror in that I grew up in the era. Have watched most of the big titles and remember that aisle of the video shop being a favourite to browse as a kid.

Are these documentarys watchable for a casual fan ? They clock in at 4 and half hours each which leads me to think no. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I'm a fan of 80's horror in that I grew up in the era. Have watched most of the big titles and remember that aisle of the video shop being a favourite to browse as a kid.

Are these documentarys watchable for a casual fan ? They clock in at 4 and half hours each which leads me to think no. 

They are if you break them down yourself. Once they move on from a film there's no further discussion so you can pick up and leave them when you want. The first two are on shudder so do a free trial.

34 minutes ago, DEF said:

They are if you break them down yourself. Once they move on from a film there's no further discussion so you can pick up and leave them when you want. The first two are on shudder so do a free trial.

Started a free trial. Is there anything you would consider essential or really good on Shudder whilst I have it ?

So apparently Ivan and Jason Reitman showed Ghostbusters Afterlife in full at a panel for the movie at New York Comic Con either last night or Thursday (the article I got it from didn’t say), this after also doing it as a surprise at CinemaCon in August. The latter screening got enough positivity that Sony allowed it to happen again with Jason Reitman quoted as saying the film will be ‘the biggest Easter egg hunt of all time’

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Started a free trial. Is there anything you would consider essential or really good on Shudder whilst I have it ?

The best thing Shudder have done that I've seen is the superb documentary Black Noire: The History of Black Horror. Absolutely essential viewing imo.

The other stuff they have made themselves I've not seen much of. I binged the first season of Creepshow and it was abit to hit and miss.

It's an acquired taste but I absolutely love Raw Force. It's low budget and bonkers zombie/cannibal/kung fu masterpiece.

Pontypool is superb and doesn't get mentioned enough.

Likewise to Prevenge.

There's actually tons of classics on there right now. Depends how much you have already seen and what you are after. There's a slew of Argento's Gialli that I would consider absolutely essential. American Werewolf in London, Phantasm, Intruder, Oldboy, It Follows, Scanners, The Raid, Hellraiser, Night of the Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Then there is stuff that I love but probably aren't for everyone like Blood Rage, The Mutilator, Frankienstein's Army, Terrifier, Splinter, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, Class of Nukem High, Madman, Death Walks At Midnight, Death Walks on High Heels, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, Toxic Avenger, Slumber Party Massacre, Demons, Don't go in the Woods Alone..., Evil Aliens, Thirst, House By the Cemetery, 

Also Body Melt stars Harold off Neighbours.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, DEF said:

The best thing Shudder have done that I've seen is the superb documentary Black Noire: The History of Black Horror. Absolutely essential viewing imo.

Very much seconded. 

Host, which was made on Zoom at the start of the pandemic, is also all kinds of fun.