Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Sorry to hear the news Baz,  Is it reaction to all the various meds you've been on over the years? Also have they ruled out anemia? The quacks were worried about my iron levels forever but seems to sorted itself out after abnormally high levels for no reason, and Im sure that affects platelet production as well.

Moving on.. Does anyone know how to create a search bar in an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to search within the spreadsheet, that isnt Control +F. I' ve looked on the net and there's lots about  newer versions of Excel but nothing for 2003

Unfortunately I work with a bunch of luddites, and having managed to edit organise and hyperlink all of their processes from 20 different spreadsheets and 3 different systems into one quick launch spreadsheet However, it still has a main document that has 1500 rows. that needs to be easily searchable,.  I've asked them politely to invest or at least be receptive to some kind of decision tree knowledge base,which would make things massively simpler, however that's not going to happen anytime soon. So, yeah if anyone could point me in the right direction of a decent search bar either through formulas or VBasic code, that would be aces! Thanksy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 01/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, Cod Eye said:

Is there anyone on here who has experience "ripping" things from a Blu-ray ISO? 

A friend has made me an ISO of a BR disk he has(I dont have a BR player) as I am looking for a copy of one of the Extras and it is only available on the BR version.

I've tried a few programs already, such as MakeMKV, WinXDVDripper for Mac and Handbrake, but I'm having nothing but problems. Handbrake finds the extra but only rips 54 minutes(its 1hr34mins). This is apparently due to the copy protection built into the image. MakeMKV doesn't find the extra and WinX just keeps crashing on me.

Any help would really be appreciated, as it doing my nut in....

Handbrake removes the copy protection while it reencodes so that shouldn't be the issue. The length of the extra means it may be split between different layers of the disc or into separate files so ignore the ISO and look into the actual source files (.m2ts) which will be the encoded MP4 that will have the original source video that can be reencoded. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, hallicks said:

Sorry to hear that Baz.

Blood Platelets are only slightly high, so I should be ok next Wednesday. Yeah, she said gallbladder problems are probably the reason. If they are still high next week, by the looks on all the doctors faces, the shit kicks off. Talking about the possibility of a "Bone Marrow" test which sounds horrendous in the middle of an icy winter. I think if the gallbladder isn't causing me any pain, they want to keep it in.

Liver was sound. I was worried about that one.

• Awards Moderator
13 hours ago, patiirc said:

Moving on.. Does anyone know how to create a search bar in an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to search within the spreadsheet, that isnt Control +F. I' ve looked on the net and there's lots about  newer versions of Excel but nothing for 2003

Unfortunately I work with a bunch of luddites, and having managed to edit organise and hyperlink all of their processes from 20 different spreadsheets and 3 different systems into one quick launch spreadsheet However, it still has a main document that has 1500 rows. that needs to be easily searchable,.  I've asked them politely to invest or at least be receptive to some kind of decision tree knowledge base,which would make things massively simpler, however that's not going to happen anytime soon. So, yeah if anyone could point me in the right direction of a decent search bar either through formulas or VBasic code, that would be aces! Thanksy

What's wrong with the current Search function?

If it's just "people can't use CTRL F" you could have a macro that launches the Find dialogue accessible from a Dummies button.

• Paid Members
On 02/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, Ralphy said:

have you tried looking for freeware to remove the copy protection? 

12 hours ago, chokeout said:

Handbrake removes the copy protection while it reencodes so that shouldn't be the issue. The length of the extra means it may be split between different layers of the disc or into separate files so ignore the ISO and look into the actual source files (.m2ts) which will be the encoded MP4 that will have the original source video that can be reencoded. 

Cheers for the replies all!

After driving me mad for ages, MakeMKV worked out of the blue. No idea what I did differently to the other 20 times I tried but lo and behold it created a perfect .mkv file for me!

10 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

What's wrong with the current Search function?

If it's just "people can't use CTRL F" you could have a macro that launches the Find dialogue accessible from a Dummies button.

That's a good thought and I  can certainly try it.

I'm in the public sector at the moment and they want 'basic' as in spend no money. Despite this the information which is tightly controlled is a mess and not helpful. At present a search for a simple search term will bring back information completely irrelevant even though has the same wording contained with in it. I appreciate with a search bar in excel it will have the same pitfalls but at least it will be displayed in a way in which computer novices will be able to see, rather than the ' Control + F' function bringing back a lot of squiggly lines and that's if, the user knows to switch the search terms from it's current default. The level of computer nous within the department is tiny and excel may as well be a foreign language to some of the employees, hence why trying to make it idiot proof of a sort.

8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What the fuck are you talking about squiggly lines?

It's actual feedback from some of the people using 'Control+F'. :/ I think and it's an educated guess, that they are referring to the  $ sign that's returned in cell value.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

What's the best way to clear a Windows 7 laptop of all data/information as it's being given to someone else? Thanks. 

Take it to the police station and confess everything. They will then do it for you.

Or this will do as a basic guide.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/laptops/how-to-securely-wipe-your-laptop-or-pc-windows-7-11363807738531

• Awards Moderator
31 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Is it possible to use my laptop as a keyboard for a PC base unit? 

There's programmes like this but I think you need to get as far as Windows before they'll work.

Can you not pick up a keyboard from a boot sale / local school college / friendly IT dept of work? Heck a brand new one is £6 at Amazon.

14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

There's programmes like this but I think you need to get as far as Windows before they'll work.

Can you not pick up a keyboard from a boot sale / local school college / friendly IT dept of work? Heck a brand new one is £6 at Amazon.

Yeah I did think of that software, but as you said, you do need to get to the main windows screen before you can sync them together. Thank you for the repsone, will have to pick up a cheap keyboard and go from there. 

Moving into a new flat soon hopefully. If I've read it correctly, the contract says we're responsible for repair of appliances. I'm reading it as fridge, oven etc, even though they are landlord provided. Is that normal for the tenant to have to cover it these days? Is it worth trying to get that changed before we sign? 

Archived