Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

3 hours ago, Grecian said:

This one might sound dodgy, but I promise it's for a completely genuine, innocent reason!

Is there a way of sending an email to someone which is utterly untraceable to the recipient? I'm doing an MA in creative writing and need one character to be able to contact another without him working out the IP address or where the email has originated... Is there any kind of IP masking software or something along those lines?

I've seen "30 min email" sites around, basically one time use things, but no idea if they mask or redirect IP.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

I went to few gigs at the Underworld years ago. it's a great little venue, but it can also be a horrid sweaty mess. It was also weird when I went there on a Saturday afternoon for an all ages gig, then spent most of the evening in The World's End drinking before heading back in there for another gig in the evening.

Pretty much every weekend from the age of 17-22 was spent in The Worlds End/The Underworld. It was a belting place. One of my most embarrassing moments was getting blind drunk, on my hands and knees throwing up in the trough whilst people pissed (yep) and then when someone said "You OK mate?", I responded with "Yeah, it's OK, I'm diabetic". I'm not and no idea why I said that.

2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m not sure if I understand the need. Can you not just make a fake email account which will surely hide the identity of the person, and then log in and send with an active VPN open on your browser?

I need a way of hiding the IP address in the email header so one character has no idea who is contacting him. There's already a fake name on the email account, just need to make it so the email can't be tracked. 

Hushmail looks like it could be the answer though... 

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Grecian said:

This one might sound dodgy, but I promise it's for a completely genuine, innocent reason!

Is there a way of sending an email to someone which is utterly untraceable to the recipient? I'm doing an MA in creative writing and need one character to be able to contact another without him working out the IP address or where the email has originated... Is there any kind of IP masking software or something along those lines?

Spoofing. Used to deal with this all the time when I worked for the abuse team of an ISP. 

https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

• Paid Members

Has anybody here looked into using CBD oil as a partial treatment for depression or anxiety? I've been reading some studies that show quite promising results for alleviating anxiety - that is, an actual anxiety disorder, not just being a bit awkward around new people, although it is said to help with that too - and helping to deal with depression. There is actually some evidence for it being helpful with pain and inflammation and other things, too. The key is it must be pure CBD, no THC content. 

As song as it's pure CBD, it's readily and legally available in the UK and you could use it in a vape or as a tincture under the tongue. I've just started using it in a vape, so we will see how it goes but I thought that might interest some as I know a few people on here have had depression and anxiety issues in the past. 

• Paid Members

I've been wanting to give it a go myself, Jobber.

How are you getting on with it? Can you recommend an online vendor? 

Am I right in thinking I could use my normal vaping tank/battery and just fill it with CBD instead? 

• Paid Members

I literally received my first lot today, going to give it a try before bed, @Silky Kisser. 

Check out www.iceheadshop.co.uk as I was able to grab a bottle of CBD vape liquid and it came with a free vaporizer, which was handy as it means I don't have to empty out my normal, nicotine vape every time I want to use the CBD. Next day delivery, seems fairly priced. Although if I take to it, I'll obviously be doing a bit more shopping around.

Am I right in thinking I could use my normal vaping tank/battery and just fill it with CBD instead?

AFAIK, yes, so long as you've got CBD vape liquid. 

There's also a subreddit with lots of knowledgeable people over at /r/CBD 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'd be keen on knowing if it works too, I know someone who swears on microdosing and I've been ever so tempted to take that route.

Micro dosing what, CBD? I know there are lots of people who microdose psilocybin and MDMA as ways to help treat depression, and I have heard of studies that give credence to that, particularly with MDMA. Even ketamine has helped some people in clinical studies, obviously under heavy supervision, to basically 'kick' their depression although apparently for that you end up having to go back every six weeks for another round of treatment. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Oh no, not CBD. LSD and psilocybin seem to be the popular choices, I'm just looking at alternatives as years of medication never helped and I've been stuck in a rut since stopping them.

Microdosing psilocybin is something I have considered. I've yet to try it - honestly, my depression and anxiety are in 'remission' at the moment, but that sort of stuff is always temporary - so I may at some point look to try it. I've actually got 3g of mushrooms sitting in my stash box at home, but those are for something less than therapeutic purposes! 

Again, you probably already are well aware, but Reddit is actually a really good resource for this stuff. Lots of very knowledgable people and the subs for it usually provide a wealth of 'beginner' information in the sidebars.

I think it's pretty fair to say that lots of these drugs have really good potential for helping people but it seems that there isn't enough research being done, in the UK at least, given the legal status of things like psilocybin, MDMA and ketamine and our government's bull headed approach to drug legislation. 

Archived