Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Merzbow said:

Does anyone know of a shop in Camden that would sell gig/musician earplugs, preferably Alpine brand? My pair never came through from Amazon and fuck am I going to a gig without them with my ears being a cockend as they are.

GuitarGuitar has a branch in Camden. No idea if they'll have Alpine, but if anywhere sells earplugs they will.

• Paid Members

Need some advice. I’m with Plus Net and have their fibre optic, fastest broadband, 70+ mb.

No issues with its speed, however the signal is shite. Some rooms transfer to 4g regularly and even when I’m in the same room , it can drop to 2 bars on my iPhone. 

Im going to have a play with frequency later, however I definitely want a signal boost plug based device, with the idea of putting them in a couple of rooms. I have just been reading about the best on the market at present, but I can’t find out if they are all pretty much compatible as a standard. I did ask a plus net advisor who basically sent me a link to a BT product for £70 with shit reviews.. nice one.

Is there anything I need to know, or can I just go and buy a generic signal booster plug from Currys and assume it will work with my set up (standard router plus net send out for fibre optic broadband).

cheers

On 10/25/2017 at 10:26 AM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Where were you at @Merzbow and what did you see?

Was honestly about to ask if you were at the Barfly, I’ve played there a few times but had no idea the whole chain were bought out and ended last year.

It was The Dome a little up north from Camden to see King Dude and The Ruins of Beverast. Don't think I've ever been to the Barfly but it's a venue I always saw on gig posters.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It was The Dome a little up north from Camden to see King Dude and The Ruins of Beverast. Don't think I've ever been to the Barfly but it's a venue I always saw on gig posters.

Fun fact (well a fact at least), my parents had their wedding reception in the 70s at The Dome.

How's it looking now they've refurbed it?

• Moderators

The barfly is a good venue. Great sound, and always has a pretty chill atmosphere. I went to see (early 90s California rap group) Delinquent Habits there a few weeks ago and they were supported by these south African horror core guys called Mensvreters who were wildly entertaining and pretty crazy. Really fun stage show!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The barfly is a good venue. Great sound, and always has a pretty chill atmosphere. I went to see (early 90s California rap group) Delinquent Habits there a few weeks ago and they were supported by these south African horror core guys called Mensvreters who were wildly entertaining and pretty crazy. Really fun stage show!

Was good, shut down now.

@BigJag thanks for that advice, however I don’t have an old router. When I moved house I got rid of loads of shit including stuff like that. So realistically I’m looking at one of those plugs, if they indeed work.

This one might sound dodgy, but I promise it's for a completely genuine, innocent reason!

Is there a way of sending an email to someone which is utterly untraceable to the recipient? I'm doing an MA in creative writing and need one character to be able to contact another without him working out the IP address or where the email has originated... Is there any kind of IP masking software or something along those lines?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

@BigJag thanks for that advice, however I don’t have an old router. When I moved house I got rid of loads of shit including stuff like that. So realistically I’m looking at one of those plugs, if they indeed work.

You're welcome mate. I've used the Home plugs in the past and found them to be hit and miss. They are reliant on your ring main being on the same circuit. I unfortunately have a house with more than one ring main. It left me with a Wi-Fi dead spot. Until I went with the repeater option.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh shit. I got my venues confused. I haven't been to a barfly in years (and apparently never will again now). The gig I was at recently was at the Underworld.

I went to few gigs at the Underworld years ago. it's a great little venue, but it can also be a horrid sweaty mess. It was also weird when I went there on a Saturday afternoon for an all ages gig, then spent most of the evening in The World's End drinking before heading back in there for another gig in the evening.

Archived