Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Nice. So much for the £700 budget, King! Planet Earth 2's a must. A good bunch of 4k/HDR stuff's hit the download sites lately so my collection's grown, still need to get around to watching most of them, though. John Wick 2 looked amazing (and is amazing) and Alien Covenant looked amazing. Guardians of the Galaxy 2's picture probably wasn't the greatest but the colours were phenomenal. And the half hour I lasted through Batman vs Superman was really underwhelming.

Fuck around with your colour space settings when watching shit. It seems to be a complete lottery which works best when watching HDR stuff.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Does anyone have any tips for removing paint off wooden banisters / spindles / handrails. 

I've tried a stripper but she keeps moaning its not part of a regular booking. 

Seriously though is there a quicker way than stripper, scrapers and coarse sandpaper? 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Does anyone have any tips for removing paint off wooden banisters / spindles / handrails. 

I've tried a stripper but she keeps moaning its not part of a regular booking. 

Seriously though is there a quicker way than stripper, scrapers and coarse sandpaper? 

You can pick up cheap electric sanders, but in reality, it’s going to be a mare due to the nobs, curves and general shape of the spindles.

They are really awkward but something like Paint Panther is a big help as it helps to break down paint and varnish. After you’ve applied it you need to scrape it off. It comes off loads easier though.

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/paint-varnish-remover

• Paid Members

Thanks @Kaz Hayashi. I've been using a bottle of wickes own brand stuff, which might not have the backbone of paint panther or nitromors. I'll try picking up a bottle of PP today and see if it works better.

The tricky thing is I'm renovating a room on my holidays from work, so the sooner I'm done the sooner I can get back to taking actual holidays in that time. 

• Paid Members
On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

Micro dosing what, CBD? I know there are lots of people who microdose psilocybin and MDMA as ways to help treat depression, and I have heard of studies that give credence to that, particularly with MDMA. Even ketamine has helped some people in clinical studies, obviously under heavy supervision, to basically 'kick' their depression although apparently for that you end up having to go back every six weeks for another round of treatment. 

"Clinical studies" is the bit to remember. I went to a really interesting BPS lecture on the use of "psychedelic" drugs to treat mental illness, and the crowd was pretty much a 50/50 split between people with an active interest in psychology, and middle-class hippies missing the point.

Like you said, it's worth reading up on, but there can be a big difference between doing this yourself with street drugs and under the controlled conditions the research was carried out in. And, as with all treatments, and with all drugs, to take some of the more evangelical stories of it as a cure-all with a pinch of salt.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Like you said, it's worth reading up on, but there can be a big difference between doing this yourself with street drugs and under the controlled conditions the research was carried out in.

This is for me the key to all of it. The conditions also include the purity of what you’re buying/taking. All the positive research in the world won’t matter if what you have bought ends up being dink. This reason alone for me is why I’d be cautious and reluctant to try it.

• Paid Members

Absolutely - that's a big part of the controlled conditions of any experiment in this direction, and a reason I'd be reluctant to recommend microdosing to anyone. In that environment, the person distributing the dosage knows exactly what you're getting, what strength, and so on, if it's something you've bought off the street (which, really, is our only option given the legal status of most of the drugs in question), tomorrow's dose might be ten times the strength of yesterday's, could be nothing at all, or could be cut with something entirely different to what you think you're taking. Bring on sensible drug regulation.

• Paid Members

Is there anyone on here who has experience "ripping" things from a Blu-ray ISO? 

A friend has made me an ISO of a BR disk he has(I dont have a BR player) as I am looking for a copy of one of the Extras and it is only available on the BR version.

I've tried a few programs already, such as MakeMKV, WinXDVDripper for Mac and Handbrake, but I'm having nothing but problems. Handbrake finds the extra but only rips 54 minutes(its 1hr34mins). This is apparently due to the copy protection built into the image. MakeMKV doesn't find the extra and WinX just keeps crashing on me.

Any help would really be appreciated, as it doing my nut in....

• Paid Members

Been diagnosed with high blood platelets for two months now, I could tell the docs weren't happy. I've to go in and get another test.

Having high platelets seems really serious. I don't like the sad look in the nurses eyes when they tell me the results. Am I fucked? Is there anyway I can get these down by next Wednesday? Thanks.

P.S. Only think that's been wrong with any of my blood tests is the high platelets. Everything else is fine. Good nurse yesterday had to take five big chunks out of me, but it had to be done and she seemed lovely (not in a sexual way). I always have to have the "baby way" of getting blood and that's strapping it to the knuckles. Like the old brass knucks. Not a drip will come out of any other vein and it's not because of IV drug usage like a doctor said a few months ago.

Baz have they mentioned Thrombocytosis at all?. There's two types, one regarding bone marrow is called Essential, the other is Reactive. The reactive type can be caused by a number of reasons, only a handful are what you could classify as serious conditions. This article explains more:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombocytosis/basics/causes/con-20032674

IIRC didn't you mention before about your gallbladder?. It could be all interconnected as inflammation can increase blood platelets too. 

Archived