Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

10 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Both CPU and GPU are a little underpowered and I don't think either can be upgraded, it's really not a gaming laptop when it comes to current gen and upcoming games.

Fair enough. I've significantly toned down my gaming to be honest. I'm quite happy going back and playing the games I've enjoyed in the past like GTA V, Witcher 3, Skyrim etc. and I'm sure there are loads of games that were only released for PC that I've never played so I'm not too fussed about new releases. I'm sure it's good enough to play the new FIFA & PES games too.

I'm buying it for £450. It's practically new. Would you say that's a reasonable price?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno if this is the right thread or if there's a more dedicated one, but I'm after a 4K TV. Ideally 55 inches, with decent 4K and HDR performance (films and console games), that looks alright with SD and HD content too. Budget is £700 tops.

As it stands, this is the one I'm thinking of going with: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7230316

Philips 55PUS6262 with the Ambilight gimmick, which supposedly helps reduce eye strain.

Anyone got any better ideas? I know I'd struggle to get anything with proper HDR at this size and budget.

• Paid Members

If six inches isn't a deal-breaker, I'd recommend going for the Samsung KS7000. I got the 49" in January for around £700 and it's a beaut. I was just going to go for a regular 4K set, but had to stretch my budget to get it after reading about how much a game changer HDR is and the best gaming tellies for a reasonable price (most sites recommended it). Does proper HDR, and near top of the line input lag for gaming.

I don't actually own much 4K TV/film content (internet's too slow to stream 4K Netflix), but downloaded the 4K/HDR Blu Ray rips of Planet Earth 2 recently and the picture quality is genuinely mind-blowing! HD stuff looks tremendous (much better than on a 1080p screen). SD's fine, maybe a little fuzzier than before but my screen's went up in size since my last one, so it could be that.

PS4 Pro was the main reason I upgraded for and it's been well worth it.

On 9/16/2017 at 3:54 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

If six inches isn't a deal-breaker, I'd recommend going for the Samsung KS7000. I got the 49" in January for around £700 and it's a beaut. I was just going to go for a regular 4K set, but had to stretch my budget to get it after reading about how much a game changer HDR is and the best gaming tellies for a reasonable price (most sites recommended it). Does proper HDR, and near top of the line input lag for gaming.

I don't actually own much 4K TV/film content (internet's too slow to stream 4K Netflix), but downloaded the 4K/HDR Blu Ray rips of Planet Earth 2 recently and the picture quality is genuinely mind-blowing! HD stuff looks tremendous (much better than on a 1080p screen). SD's fine, maybe a little fuzzier than before but my screen's went up in size since my last one, so it could be that.

PS4 Pro was the main reason I upgraded for and it's been well worth it.

+1 on this.

I got the 65" model around Christmas time and it's an absolute belter. I spent an absolute age researching and deliberating over it, waited for Black Friday deals then didn't pull the trigger and then it started going back UP in price again after all the brexit nonsense. I managed to get it for £900 when it should have been about twice as much but got an 'open box' return which turned out to be exactly that; someone bought it and realised it was too big for their living room so took it back literally unused.

Although thats a bit above your budget the 55" should be a lot cheaper and technically it'll be a 2016 model so the price should come down a bit by now, if you can still get them, the spec will still be massive and well worth it.

If you can't get one of them and really need to stick to the £700 max then i would recommend the Hisense M7000 range

• Paid Members

There was a channel on early sky called the Fun Factory.

It had a number amazing cartoons on it such as M.A.S.K, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Dungeons and Dragons etc. It's easy enough to find out a list of these licensed style cartoons, but they also had a number of short owt or nowt cartoons, the type that weren't brand affiliated, probably 5-10 mins long, usually had a 'message' to share such as how to be fire safe, that kind of thing, at a guess many will have been European and dubbed.

Whats the best way to find out about forgotten gems such as the kind of thing I'm on about above?

I remember one that was probably made in the 60's. It was talking about corn fields, I believe peanuts and how baseball started.

Ive been looking for it for years, but never been able to find it yet. Anyone have any other ideas regarding how to find things like this?

• Awards Moderator
22 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I've been looking for it for years, but never been able to find it yet. Anyone have any other ideas regarding how to find things like this?

I reckon asking on here is a good start. Sounds like something you'd get joy on Digital Spy forums, or try https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue.

Anybody on here know much about Vinyl? 

I've inherited a substantial collection from my late Grandmother and i'm looking to shift them on. I don't the have a clue about Vinyl  and whats worth what if anything! 

The collection is around about 500, A pretty even split between LP's and EP's. I'm beginning to compile a list into a spreadsheet which is a task in itself. 

All are original pressings starting from the 50's up until the late 80's. Notable names i've seen as i've made my way through include.....

The Beatles

Abba

Pink Floyd

Chuck Berry

Johnny Cash

Buddy Holly

There's loads more to sift through but i was just getting an idea of where i could go with these, if anywhere or is it just a car boot job? 

• Paid Members

I don't know too much on the vinyl front, but a mate of mine who does swears by https://www.discogs.com for getting an idea on how much stuff is worth. I imagine between that and Ebay you should be able to get started on figuring out how much it's all worth, or at least anything that looks like it might be high value. 

Archived