Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Having an issue with my desktop PC. Out of the blue, on start up my USB mouse will work fine and then suddenly stop working and I get a popup notification that the device isn't recognised. It's listed as an Unknown Device in my device manager. If i switch out the mouse and plug in another one, it works momentarily and then the same thing happens. It also suddenly doesn't recognise the printer. Strangely, it is fine with the USB keyboard!

A restart fixes it but only temporarily. Anyone have any suggestions I could try? thanks. 

Go to settings and update the mouse driver when your mouse is working. I had similar on Windows Vista PC donkeys ago, and that seemed to fix it like a good un

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine has been having an issue with his new laptop. The problem seems to stem from it having a duel graphics card which affects certain functions, most specifically Poker Stars and other poker programs.  

The problem is that the program stutters whilst playing. He has managed to get it running smoothly by having something else playing in the background (Football Manager, YouTube etc.), which is why he believes its a duel graphics card problem. 

He has Googled the issue and tried various suggestions, and he has also contacted the makers of the programs directly for advice. All to no avail. 

I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has had a similar issue and how, if at all, you resolved it. Or if anyone else has any suggestions we could try. 

That has already been tried. No success unfortunately. Thanks anyway. 

It does seem strange that having other media running at the same time improves things. 

Edit: We have just disabled the integrated graphics card and the issue is still there. Maybe it's not a graphics card issue.

I have had issues with the Pokerstars client which is related to some Windows security updates. On some games when I click on them the client closes down and reboots back up. Apparently if you uninstall Pokerstars, run the Windows updates and reinstall it will fix the issue. I am not sure if it is related to your mates problem but it will probably be worth a go.

• Paid Members

Question about bulbs and wattage. 

Just put a new bulb in one of our bedside lamps. A 28w halogen bulb. The lamp states max 40w. So I assumed this was fine. Well, about 20 mins ago the bulb and lamp exploded, sending tiny bits of glass all over the room and just missing my girlfriends face. 

So, now I'm worried about the same bulb in the other lamp. Bought and replaced at the same time. Just to be clear, it SHOULD be OK to put a 28w bulb in a max 40w lamp and not have it explode right? 

10 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Has anyone on here made the jump to 4K TV and 4K Blu Ray yet?

If so, how's the experience been

The jump from HD to 4K is nothing like the jump from SD to HD where the difference was tangible and really quite amazing. Is it noticeable? Yeah, a little bit, but it doesn't knock your socks off. And I've seen uncompressed 4K on a $30,000 reference monitor and it's all a bit meh. Maybe I'm just jaded.

The real game changer is going to be 4K HDR. HDR is fucking amazing. It's like the leap from SD to HD all over again. You can get a 4K HDR Blue ray player for just over two hundred quid on amazon. I don't think there's that many titles available for it yet, but I've seen quite a large chunk of The Revenant (which was also graded in HDR) on 4K HDR blue ray and it's awesome. I also watched some of The Lego Movie and it was like a psychedelic experience, the colours were so bright. So yeah, get on the HDR train if you can.

Yeah, we're looking at a TV by LG with HDR which is £400 and had my eye on for a while. Only just started looking for a 4K BluRay player last night so still need to research that a bit more. Does the BluRay player need HDR too, or is that just relevant to the TV.

thanks for taking the time to answer by the way

• Awards Moderator

I haven't upgraded my TV in ten years (it still works!). I was on holiday last week and the cottage we were staying in had a 50" Samsung that blew my socks off playing just Freeview channels. I didn't realise things had come so far.

It was the Samsung UE50KU6000, model number fans.

Archived