Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Take the back off and give it a dust bust. Reseat the battery. If it's accessible, reseat the cable that connects to the hard drive. If there's a bios battery, take it for a minute and out it back in. There should also be a button to reset CMOS. Hold down for 10 seconds. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
12 hours ago, hallicks said:

Digby, you're a clumsy, cack handed oaf. You will kill it completely to death forever if you start prodding around with its insides. Take it to a pro.

Cheers, that's what I suspected.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:15 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with something. Basically, I'm trying to get my Irish citizenship sorted out. I am entitled to Irish citizenship through grandparents on both sides of my family but am applying specifically through my grandmother on my mother's side. Now, as part of the application process, you need to provide "original, long-form" birth certificates for both the parent and the grandparent. Neither have theirs. Is there a way to obtain copies of these that would then be considered "original"? Also, in both cases they ask for copies of the photo page of both their passports - my mum has never had a passport and my grandmothers has expired. Am I going to have to pay for them to get passports in order to proceed with this?

Obviously, it makes sense to call the embassy and ask these questions, and I will, but we do often have experts in stuff on this forum - tax, for instance - so just wondering if anyone has any related experience. Cheers. 

If you grandmother was born in Ireland after 1922 you would be able to obtain long form birth cert from here : http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/ for 20 quid.

You will need the passports alright as it proves that the relatives your application is linked to have held an Irish passport , because your grandmother has previously held one she might get away with not having to apply for a new in date one. I'd say your Mam will have to get one though. Give the embassy a bell on Tuesday I suppose and they'll clarify.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, DCW said:

If you grandmother was born in Ireland after 1922 you would be able to obtain long form birth cert from here : http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/ for 20 quid.

You will need the passports alright as it proves that the relatives your application is linked to have held an Irish passport , because your grandmother has previously held one she might get away with not having to apply for a new in date one. I'd say your Mam will have to get one though. Give the embassy a bell on Tuesday I suppose and they'll clarify.

Ah, this might be an issue. Would I have to get my mum an Irish passport? 

• Paid Members
On 8/3/2017 at 10:11 PM, Hugh Thesz said:

I baulked at the nurses offer of  increasing the strength of the Amitripiline tablets.  

No wonder. Used to be used as an anti-depressant back in the day before Seroxat and Fluoxetine came along. Used now for nerve pain, like that jabbing sensation you get. Has horrendous side-effects. I'd just chuck it in the bin and keep on with the Co-Codamol and do some exercises.

I always felt mega angry on those things.

On 07/08/2017 at 6:46 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

No wonder. Used to be used as an anti-depressant back in the day before Seroxat and Fluoxetine came along. Used now for nerve pain, like that jabbing sensation you get. Has horrendous side-effects. I'd just chuck it in the bin and keep on with the Co-Codamol and do some exercises.

I always felt mega angry on those things.

I was prescribed 10mg Amitripiline and 50mg Tramadol a few years ago for Sciatica a few years ago and am lucky that I get no side affects.  

Then again I also take 20mg Citalopram for anxiety issues so it is maybe the combination of them and the Amitripiline that stops me from punching myself these days!

Had the steroid injection from my GP earlier.  He gave me more Co-Codamol and pain gel then insisted he give me more Tramadol as I will "need it"!  Just as well I can deal with pain

Not really sure where to post this, hopefully in the right place.

I need to talk to someone about addiction. I know there are some on here that have had issues and whatnot.

I'm going through some issues and would appreciate some advice on where to go and how to proceed. (Who to speak to etc)

I'd rather not post all the gory details in public, but would really like if there is someone there to talk to privately.

Thanks

Good luck, mate.

I'm an addict and an alcoholic but I have never been able to kick them into touch, so I doubt I'd be any good for advice!  All I can say is even though it feels like it, you aren't on your own.  The first step may be admitting you need help, but accepting the help is the real first big step and one that many people, myself included, don't take.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hugh Thesz said:

I was prescribed 10mg Amitripiline and 50mg Tramadol a few years ago for Sciatica a few years ago and am lucky that I get no side affects.  

Then again I also take 20mg Citalopram for anxiety issues so it is maybe the combination of them and the Amitripiline that stops me from punching myself these days!

Had the steroid injection from my GP earlier.  He gave me more Co-Codamol and pain gel then insisted he give me more Tramadol as I will "need it"!  Just as well I can deal with pain

Doctors here still keep on dishing out the Tramadol. Totally controlled substance here now. You'll get done if you get caught with one pill on you. You should be going through hoops to get it now. I'm not complaining but they don't seem to be doing their job.. I'm still getting boxes of it for my back. Legit from a doctor.

Won't even give my Mum Co-Codamol and Tramadol for her pain when she was getting Morphine for her pain in the hospital and I'm sitting here with a mildly sore back and getting boxes of the two. It ain't right.

Archived