Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's probably cliché to say by now, but I genuinely feel it's the best toy for any kid: it encourages creativity like nothing else. Not just in terms of what you can build, but also the stories you can come up with surrounding them.

Having not played with Lego in many years, I wonder how much this is still the case - I'm not wanting to do a "back in my day", I'm genuinely curious.

In my head, I remember Lego being largely generic - it was all just bricks, with very few "sets" and strict instructions on what to build, so they encouraged a lot more freeform building. Whereas now everything seems licensed, and with specific parts that presumably can only be used to build the correct set - no one is repurposing their Lego Death Star to build a garage.

But then I just Wikipedia'd it, and apparently themed sets had existed for pretty much as long as Lego has! I seemed to remember them being a fairly new thing when I was a kid, but now I assume that it was just that my parents didn't bloody buy me any.

So...yeah, those of you with sprogs, does Lego still encourage that much free play and creativity with what you build, or are the kids more likely to just build the spaceship the instructions tell them to?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I fondly remember a little Ghost/Knight/mini castle set where the ghost illuminated in the dark and a Safari type thing with a zebra striped buggy. 

That and the many, many pirate ship types, where I'd enevitably end up building a house on the blue coloured ocean inspired bottom board. 

Edit - Holy shit, I found them. I'm gonna have to rebuy these things. 

images.jpg

lego-black-monarch-s-ghost-set-6034-instructions-25.jpg

• Paid Members

I love that Lego Ghost, so great.

This may be another memory I've exaggerated for comic effect, but I've been convinced for years that they must have massively over-produced that Lego monkey. He seemed to be packaged with just about everything. He came with the safari set and the pirate set, that makes sense, but then he was thrown in with a time travel set and a racetrack set as well.

• Paid Members

Monkeys are naturally hilarious. All kids love monkeys. 

I can remember Lego having sets way back into my earliest memories (so the end of the 70s!). We had a big tub of generic bricks, with some windows, doors and wheels, and the people with big heads and octopus arms. Back then you could buy 5 litre tubs of ice cream, and those tubs ended up storing a lot of my toys. They didn't half destroy your finger tips trying to get the lids off though.

Then came the first minifigs, a taxi driver for me and a policeman for my sister, with little cars that they couldn't sit in.

From there was the split into Lego town, Space and the yellow castle (my cousins had this, I had to wait until Castle Lion came out, which I eventually modified into Castle Brass from the Hawkmoon books). 

Obviously being the early 80s I was all over the space sets, and as well as the proper designs, I made the Scorpio from Blake's 7, Automan's car, a TARDIS and loads of others based on film and TV. The licensed sets now make it a bit too easy to do this now, and take away the challenge of building something from non-specific parts.

I have fond memories of the TIE fighter I made, based on a picture from a Star Wars comic as I hadn't seen the films yet. Yes, it was red. Yes, it was rectangular and with a lovely bay window at the front.  And yes, its wings were only a 1x2 flat piece, but they were upright dammit, like a TIE fighters wings should be! Nobody told that 5 year old Digby how to build it, he had to take what he had (housebricks and a dismantled taxi) and just go for it.

The odds on those Lego sets I bought for my son remaining untouched is diminishing rapidly.

• Paid Members

The old neurons still fire sometimes. I was playing with my nephew a couple of months ago, helping him build stuff with his Lego. In addition to the stuff I'd given him, he also had a few bits and bobs, including a helicopter and a dinosaur he'd taken apart and lost the manual for.

I ended up making the Scorpion Air Pirate Treasure Hunter Copter(TM):

scorpion treasure copter.jpg

• Paid Members

Think i'm going to have to invest in some of that Lepin stuff. Think I'll see if I can get the Ghostbusters Firehouse in it, and may also give the Xenomorph set a try, and if it is decent stuff then my wallet is going to take a hammering...

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

The old neurons still fire sometimes. I was playing with my nephew a couple of months ago, helping him build stuff with his Lego. In addition to the stuff I'd given him, he also had a few bits and bobs, including a helicopter and a dinosaur he'd taken apart and lost the manual for.

I ended up making the Scorpion Air Pirate Treasure Hunter Copter(TM):

scorpion treasure copter.jpg

The concept of Lego coming with and needing a manual still seems odd to me. It seems to take away the wondrous joy at the very heart of Lego. 

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Tommy! said:

The concept of Lego coming with and needing a manual still seems odd to me. It seems to take away the wondrous joy at the very heart of Lego. 

The Lego Movie is about the fact that Lego can be both structured and rebuilt infinitely. Don't conform, it barks! 

Which is brilliantly undermined by the official boxed movie tie-ins which have very specific pieces and can only be put together in certain configurations. 

I lost count of the amount of times The Emperor commissioned Darth Vader to construct a new superweapon using only my Lego. That Palps, he'll never learn. 

As for decent prices, for the official boxsets keep an eye on Smyths sales. 

Hi folks,

I have been diagnosed with a frozen right shoulder; something that apparently is pretty common in Insulin dependant Diabetics.  I have been prescribed 30mg Co-Codamol tablets as well as Fenbid pain gel.  This alleviates the constant pain I was having although I do still get regular bursts of pain.  I baulked at the nurses offer of  increasing the strength of the Amitripiline tablets.  My GP has booked me in for a steroid jab net Wednesday.  

Question is would wearing one of these make a positive difference?

Thanks in advance

http://www.thesoccerstore.co.uk/shoulder-support-right?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1MyGhP271QIVBbftCh2sugNlEAQYBSABEgIp2PD_BwE

• Paid Members

I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with something. Basically, I'm trying to get my Irish citizenship sorted out. I am entitled to Irish citizenship through grandparents on both sides of my family but am applying specifically through my grandmother on my mother's side. Now, as part of the application process, you need to provide "original, long-form" birth certificates for both the parent and the grandparent. Neither have theirs. Is there a way to obtain copies of these that would then be considered "original"? Also, in both cases they ask for copies of the photo page of both their passports - my mum has never had a passport and my grandmothers has expired. Am I going to have to pay for them to get passports in order to proceed with this?

Obviously, it makes sense to call the embassy and ask these questions, and I will, but we do often have experts in stuff on this forum - tax, for instance - so just wondering if anyone has any related experience. Cheers. 

Hi,

About ten weeks ago I thought that I had tweaked my right shoulder and maybe done something to a muscle in my upper arm.

After five or six weeks I also began experiencing sharp pain in all or any combination of the elbow, forearm, wrist as well as the pinkie and thumb on my hand.

I was going to book in to see my GP but had my annual Diabetic checkup int he Victoria in Glasgow where the fantastic professor asked if I had any other health issues then immediately assessed this as being a frozen shoulder; something she said in common in Type One Diabetics.

The other day I was pulling apart the plastic bits from a four pack of beer.  Thinking I was being cautious I held the plastic in my right hand and tore it with my left to protect my arm (me being right handed).  Even something as little in this caused pain which felt as if I had been stabbed in my upper arm and shoulder with the rest of my arm coming out in fucking sympathy.

As I work with kids with disabilities this is clearly a problem.

If the steroid injections and subsequent treatment doesn't work (being positive I am sure it will) it could mean an operation on my arm ................ which I have paid four fgrand on a gorgeous tattoo sleeve on!

Fuck 

• Paid Members

Help!

My laptop appears to be buggered. The other night when I turned it on, it restarted itself a couple of times just after powering up, but then it started up properly, ran with no problems and I closed it down afterwards.

It's been fine for a couple of days, but tonight won't load up at all. I turn it on, the Acer logo appears, and then ten seconds later it goes off. It then automatically powers up and tries again.

It just does this again and again and again.

Can anyone help me get past this?

Archived