Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Question for people who know stuff about dogs.

I really want a dog when I move in to my new house, we'll have a garden and a near by park, along with lots of trips due to also having a baby.

I have always loved the idea of getting a German Shepard, purely because of how they look. I've never owned one but I was aware of two when I was younger, both different owners, both good and loving owners, but the dogs were both a bit skittish and very cautious in general. Not nasty, just unsure about people.

Now my kid will be growing up with the dog and will have friends over etc. Based on the above are these typical traits of the breed because if so, I'll be changing my mind... which I'll be gutted about.

I'll end up reverting to a Springer Spaniel, I've got experience of looking after this breed and they are generally mint and full of energy.

Head tells me Springer, but heart wants a Shepard.

Any advice?

Kaz,. I bloke I know has had German Shepherds as long as I've known him and never had a single incident. They are great around his grandkids and are very loving. He has had a couple from rescue centres and they've always been fine. I guess it's the classic "It's the owners, not the breed" thing. 

• Paid Members

My nephew got a German Shepherd puppy around 6months ago. He's brilliant. Daft as a brush. Not really interested in playing fetch. Fantastic dog. Great around family. Not aggressive. Just wants to be everyone's friend. Massive too. Not fat. Just huge. Check for paw size. If they have large paws as a pup. It'll grow to be a large animal. The family have had German Shepherd's in the past. They've all been great family pets.

• Paid Members

Thanks very much for that lads. I agree that owners have a major hand to play in it, I also think there could be some biological factors based on the mother and father traits.

It's one of those things where there's a slight connotation that they 'could' be a bit aggressive, based on their look, their history of being working dogs, military dogs etc.

As I say I've only ever known two people who have owned them, nice enough dogs, but not hugely sociable, so just not sure if they'd put up with screaming kids.

Ta for the feedback 

• Paid Members

I have decided that I would like to try out a beard. Not a super long, viking style one. Just a sort of full face - moustache, chin, sideburns. I imagine I'm gonna look like shit to begin with but, I hope, eventually it'll look OK. I know there are some people here who have fantastic beards. So throw some tips at me about this topic.

I've had a beard for a few years now and through stuff picked up via trial and error I can suggest the following:

Wash it with shampoo and conditioner (like you would with the hair on your head) to make it smooth and silky to the touch.

Use a beard comb or hairbrush to get an excess hairs out and ensure it's looking neat.

Trim the 'stray' hairs outside of the beard lines so it looks sharp and defined (or get a barber to do it for you if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself).

Be prepared to look a lot more sophisticated and masculine :D

• Moderators

Shave your neck, you'll look like a scruffy bastard otherwise. Also, shave a proper line at the top rather than letting it blend into your sparse cheek hair as it gives better definition and a cleaner look.

Wet shave for both of these. That is the best advice I can give.

On 16/07/2017 at 8:45 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

I have decided that I would like to try out a beard. Not a super long, viking style one. Just a sort of full face - moustache, chin, sideburns. I imagine I'm gonna look like shit to begin with but, I hope, eventually it'll look OK. I know there are some people here who have fantastic beards. So throw some tips at me about this topic.

Might be better to try in the winter. Might be too hot in the summer. I go for one for the winter months. 

• Paid Members

Anyone here use a neti pot? I've been given one, but I'm unsure of it's benefits. If I don't actually have sinus problems, is there any point in using it? I do like the idea of keeping a clean nasal cavity, but I'm not sure about risking brain parasites for no reason. 

Archived