Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I'll only be using it for work so I'm not too worried about battery life. I need a decent camera for photos and video and I need to be able to hook up all the social media channels as well as Google Analytics and some other marketing apps. I just don't want to be faffing around trying to find stuff because I'm so used to an iPhone. I couldn't even turn on my mum's Huwawei and it took my about 2 hours to set up her email!

Oh, and the phone's not arrived yet so I don't know when generation or memory it has.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the Apple 3Gs, 4s and 5c, but decided to move to Android with a Samsung S4 and haven't looked back since. A big part of that was the home button on my 5c broke after 8 months and got a replacement phone under warranty. Just shy of a year later the home button broke on the newer one, but by that point I had enough. Being close to the end of my contract i gutted it out, then swapped.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Yes you will hate Android. I've never found a single iOS user who can convert. 

Really?

Both my wife and my sister are recent android converts and I don't think either of them would go back. It took my wife a little longer to get used to, and she only did it out of necessity (broken phone, so used my old one), but now she's used to it she wouldn't go back.

Continuous input (Swype typing) keyboard is probably the biggest reason, I think. Which is actually also the only reason I switched from a phone with physical keys to a touchscreen keyboard. It's amazing, and I don't understand how Apple users can tolerate living without it.

• Paid Members

Ok, so someone give me a lesson on Androids For Dummies. I get that you can have different OS but do some phones come with a standard? How do you install new ones? I'm not a technophobe, just what I'm used to. Same reason really that I use a PC rather than a Mac for graphic design (yes, shoot me) but it's just that I don't have the time (or patience) to learn the differences so I stick to what I know even if it's not great and looked down on.

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Really?

Really!

Other users I've found have run back to iOS in days.

8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Continuous input (Swype typing) keyboard is probably the biggest reason, I think. Which is actually also the only reason I switched from a phone with physical keys to a touchscreen keyboard. It's amazing, and I don't understand how Apple users can tolerate living without it.

Third-party keyboards were allowed on iOS about 18 months back.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:13 AM, Stylin_and_Profilin said:

+1 on this.

I got the 65" model around Christmas time and it's an absolute belter. I spent an absolute age researching and deliberating over it, waited for Black Friday deals then didn't pull the trigger and then it started going back UP in price again after all the brexit nonsense. I managed to get it for £900 when it should have been about twice as much but got an 'open box' return which turned out to be exactly that; someone bought it and realised it was too big for their living room so took it back literally unused.

Although thats a bit above your budget the 55" should be a lot cheaper and technically it'll be a 2016 model so the price should come down a bit by now, if you can still get them, the spec will still be massive and well worth it.

If you can't get one of them and really need to stick to the £700 max then i would recommend the Hisense M7000 range

Thanks guys. I'm ok going a bit above, but it doesn't seem like there's anything on the market in the same price range that's on par with the KS7000. I can only find them refurbished on Ebay, or on one or two sites I've never heard of before. What's the closest equivalent from Samsung's 2017 range?

• Paid Members

I switched from iOS to Android at the beginning of the year and haven't looked back. Granted, I'd used Android about five years ago with a low-end Samsung and found it quite frustrating, but I think that was down to the phone itself. Android on my S7 Edge - which custom launchers - is great. Can't see myself going back to iPhone.

I've never been married to any one OS, anyway. My gaming desktop uses Windows, my laptop is a Mac, my phone is Android and I also use Tails (a Linux distro) for other stuff. It's better, I think, to be able to use a range of OS - you never know when you might need to use one somewhere.

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Monkee said:

Ok, so someone give me a lesson on Androids For Dummies. I get that you can have different OS but do some phones come with a standard? How do you install new ones? 

Putting aside the issue of rooting (~jailbreaking) Android phones are largely the same - they feel the same - as they have the same plumbing but each handset manufacturer lays their own detail on top. But moving from Android handset to handset feels familiar. The back button. The menu button.

Some of the worst issues are around your account management. All your iTunes purchases won't come across, your music library, contacts... and iMessage is a great bit of kit that nobody can understand why Google hasn't replicated.

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Steve Justice said:

Maybe they don't see the point when Whatsapp is used by pretty much everyone and their mother, and is available on all OS. 

But it's still data-only. The beauty of iMessage is flexing between networks invisibly as required, and then to pick it up on other devices. The community expected Duo to do this with Chrome filling in the gaps but no.

Archived