Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random one this, hopefully someone can help. For my birthday next year we're going to do a banger car rally (basically buy cars for around £250 and drive Top Gear style from point A to point B with some challenges thrown in and a scavenger hunt list of things to pick up on the way).

The idea is to leave Sheffield and end up in York at the drag strip for a couple of runs and then off out for a few bevvies but I could do with some route suggestions. There's a pretty high chance that considering how shit these cars are going to be we'll never make it to York (wives on stand-by to pick us up) or they'll burst in to flame so I don't want to be attempting anything too ridiculous. I thought of going up the east coast to Whitby and then down to York but no idea if this is interesting enough. Would also appreciate some scavenger hunt item suggestions to collect on the way. Have at it.

• Awards Moderator

Does anyone have any experience writing/editing company Wiki pages?

You mean on Wikipedia proper? Yes. It's really hard to get them approved. Like, really hard.

Get someone with an independent but preferably old account to make the changes. Tweak stuff on unrelated pages first to show you're not just there for self-promotion. Cite everything. Make sure there is mainstream coverage of the item to help your case (e.g. a link in an authoritative newspaper site).

In fact, it's easier to get it done through Fiverr, oDesk or one of those sites. They have the chops.

Random one this, hopefully someone can help. For my birthday next year we're going to do a banger car rally (basically buy cars for around £250 and drive Top Gear style from point A to point B with some challenges thrown in and a scavenger hunt list of things to pick up on the way).

The idea is to leave Sheffield and end up in York at the drag strip for a couple of runs and then off out for a few bevvies but I could do with some route suggestions. There's a pretty high chance that considering how shit these cars are going to be we'll never make it to York (wives on stand-by to pick us up) or they'll burst in to flame so I don't want to be attempting anything too ridiculous. I thought of going up the east coast to Whitby and then down to York but no idea if this is interesting enough. Would also appreciate some scavenger hunt item suggestions to collect on the way. Have at it.

Won't you have to tax and insure them? That'll raise the cost somewhat, especially if they don't have an MOT.

Won't you have to tax and insure them? That'll raise the cost somewhat, especially if they don't have an MOT.

I know a guy who drives a banger to Prague every year for charity.  He's got his own car repair workshop and has trader's insurance though.  Would be a lot more difficult and expensive to do without that I'd imagine

• Paid Members

Does anyone have any experience writing/editing company Wiki pages?

You mean on Wikipedia proper? Yes. It's really hard to get them approved. Like, really hard.

Get someone with an independent but preferably old account to make the changes. Tweak stuff on unrelated pages first to show you're not just there for self-promotion. Cite everything. Make sure there is mainstream coverage of the item to help your case (e.g. a link in an authoritative newspaper site).

In fact, it's easier to get it done through Fiverr, oDesk or one of those sites. They have the chops.

Yes, a colleague has been trying to get the company Wiki page approved but it keeps coming back saying it's too promotional but not specifying WHAT in particular is too promotional about it. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with this at all.

£250 car cost, tax, insurance and MOT on top. There seems to be enough cheap motors out there with MOT so that's a start, wife's cousin and a couple of my mates are mechanics so repairs are doable for relatively cheaply. There's a few companies that cover banger insurance so only £30 or so for a few days after which the cars will be flogged or scrapped anyway. All the costs are being split 4 ways (teams of 4) which should help keep costs down.

Archived