Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Anyone here know much about drainage systems?

My house and our neighbours rain water collects into a soakaway in my garden which appears to be blocked leading to the gully pot overflowing and our back garden getting flooded. Also, our washing machine drains into the same pot (Was done by previous owners)

Am I able to run the Rainwater gully directly into the foul drain? The stuff I've read online is a little bit contradictory and I'm a bit lost.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends where you are. In Scotland the short answer is no, and I'd imagine the English companies are the same. Your soakaway is private drainage and as such should handle all your surface water, if it's not functioning properly then you either need to repair it (or modify it if it isn't coping with the rain levels), or remove it and take a new connection to the nearest mains sewer via a disconnecting chamber located just in the boundary to your property. That however also depends on the type of sewers local to you (whether there's separate foul and surface water sewers or a combined system), because in Scotland you can't discharge surface water into a combined sewer, don't know what the rules are in England.

• Paid Members

I'm actually in Wales so maybe that's different again.

We do have a separate Surface water drain in the garden, but it's beyond the foul drain and I dont see how we could redirect the water there as we'd have to go through the foul to get to it.

Apparently soakaways need to be 5 meters away from the property so that's gonna be difficult based on the position of everything. Same for trying to repair the existing soakaway

Tempted to just run it into the foul and keep quiet..

Essentially if you contact Welsh Water you're going to be given a lot of advice on what you can't do, and what you can will likely run into significant cost. Doing it on the QT holds some risk, but at worst if it's discovered you'll only be told to remove it, it would be highly unlikely to incur some fine or penalty, you'll just end up paying what you would anyway to go through the proper channels.

• Paid Members

I ship seafood out of the country for this new customer. It’s always some form of shellfish. The chap’s name is Bing and is an absolute pet, but has the poxiest English you could imagine.

This is an email I just got. Literally copy and pasted from my Outlook:

fishing today is. so money the razor clams back leaf tonight.

What does that mean? On any level?

• Paid Members

It really seems that way, Billy doesn't it.
I think I'm going to start each post from now on with "I'm not racist but..."

And Gus, don't get me started on that. I've been googling "Scat Ireland Dublin" and the likes...not as many options as you'd think.
I'm not racist but, and not to vast generalize, there's plenty of that carry on in Mid and Eastern Europe.

• Paid Members

I'm trying to track down a film that my Dad saw as a lad. He's never been able to find it, apparently it was the first thing he ever watched on VHS. Any info would be great, i got as many details as possible out of him but my searches have come up short. Here is what he remembers;

- It was made in the late 70's/early 80's.

- It's about a family with a secret that is passed down through the generations.

- A ouija board comes into play at some point as family members try and get to the bottom of this secret.

- The board eventually spells out the word 'WALL' and the group ponders what this is.

- Somehow, they work out that there is something behind a certain wall in the house. A character starts tearing away at a black spot on this plasterboard wall and finds a skeleton, still dressed in 1600's/1700's clothes. He takes out a pocketwatch from the skeleton's jacket, sees a name engraved on it.

That's where it ends apparently. It sounds to me like it might be an episode of a horror/mystery anthology TV series. The details maybe a bit sketchy as it was so long ago, but he is dead set on the ending.

Any help or ideas would be simply fantastic.

Archived