Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm exactly like this too despite all efforts to be organised and on top of things. I have a habit of ignoring mail or opening it but not reading it properly. This seriously came back to bite me in the arse when I got made redundant because my mortgage protection insurance had run out. It ran out in March and I'd had several letters but just ignored them. I *meant* to do something about it but just never got around to it. I've had to sponge off my parents over the last few months because I had no income whatsoever to support myself and it was completely my own fault.

I worry sometimes about my lack of attention and my memory. I got really upset a few weeks ago because I couldn't remember for the life of me what month came after April. It was scary and I ended up phoning my friend crying. She said it was probably because of stress but I forget things all the time unless I write them down. I've got two calendars in the house AND an app on my phone to remind me of stuff yet I still almost missed my eye surgery appointment last week as I thought it was next week.

Anyone point me towards a relatively simple graphics package and website/blog builder? I'm keen to get a site up about OCR stuff for T people as there is literally nothing doing about it. Content wise it will be fine, however I'm so out of the loop in terms of what is considered okay these days for blogs and logos and crud i'm a bit struggling where to start. I did some you tube bite size vids, but the production was poor so would rather get a mix going so at least there was something out there. 

• Paid Members

Wordpress is the easiest. Sometimes it'll even use inbuilt fonts to just create logos for you. There's a lot you can do just with a free account but of you're willing to pay for a Pro account then there's a vast amount of stuff available. As for a free graphic design pack - you could always sign-up to a month's trial with Adobe if it's just a one-off.

We've rescued laptops at work by putting them in a big tub of rice for 24-48 hours.

Saw this suggestion about an hour after sticking the keyboard in a tub of rice! Left it in for a couple of days and it's fixed it, barring the End, Page Up and Page Down keys that seem to no longer work, although I've not reattached everything completely yet so they may still be fine.

Wordpress is the easiest. Sometimes it'll even use inbuilt fonts to just create logos for you. There's a lot you can do just with a free account but of you're willing to pay for a Pro account then there's a vast amount of stuff available. As for a free graphic design pack - you could always sign-up to a month's trial with Adobe if it's just a one-off.

Cheers Monkee!  Shall go and investigate!

• Members

Guys and gals.  Looking for a little re-assurance / moral support...

I've always been what you might call 'laid back' and lacking in urgency but over the past few months, things seem to have gone to a whole other level, to the point I feel incapable of doing anything... 

It's not so much that I can't, I just don't and I don't understand why - it's like some sort of mental block and  just can't pull the trigger. 

It happens for relatively minor things, like booking a hair cut.  I need one, my boy needs one, we both look ridiculous at the minute  and all I need to do is make a 30 second call (or I walk past the barbers every morning) and I just don't do it.

I haven't had any annual leave this summer for the simple fact I've never asked for it.  I want and desperately need a break, my wife is fuming that the summer has passed and we've done nothing together as a family, and still I don't send the e-mail to my boss to ask for it.

It's ridiculous, and it's getting more and more serious...  I lost my pre-paid travel card a few months back, £45 a month taken by DD to cover my commute.  Three months it took me to make the phone call to order a new one (that arrives within 3 days).  During which time I continued to pay the DD as well as another £15 a week,  costing me £180 we simply don't have with my wife fast approaching the end of her maternity leave.

It's at work though where it's really beginning to cause a problem.  Got an event coming up in a fortnight which I've been project lead on and I just haven't done the tasks assigned.  As a result, we've lost a sponsor, a dignitary who was scheduled to attend has pulled out because of short notice, half our entertainment has fallen through, all because I couldn't pull the trigger and make the calls or send the emails I needed to.

I volunteered to staff an event this weekend, which subsequently clashes with a personal commitment.  I've had weeks to notify someone, but instead, I'm going to have to come up with some 11th hour fairy-tale to try and smooth things over.

I'm scared it's going to catch up with me very soon and that there's trouble right around the corner, but the problem is I don't understand why it's happening, making it impossible to stop.   I worry I've taken too much on, and so simply my brain just can't process, prioritise or decide between the millions of tasks I have to do, so by default I choose the ones i'll enjoy which rarely are the most important ones.

Has anyone else suffered from something like this?  I'm curious to know, because even as I write and try to explain it, i'm thinking to myself "you're just a lazy twat" but it really isn't that, this isn't about motivation or lack there of, it's like a mental block of some kind.

Not telling you anything that hasn't already been said, but I was in a very similar situation earlier this year (well, for months/possibly years before, it just came to a head in April), particularly relating to the work side of things. I just didn't feel like doing anything ever, was having restless nights and my wife, manager and friends were really losing patience with me. I ended up in tears in a doctor's office because and being prescribed anti-depressants, but more importantly, I was signed off for two weeks to get myself together. I've also had a bit of councelling around coping skills and fight/flight response which really hit home with me. I don't know your circumstances obviously, but I found that my manager was really supportive and a HR person I dealt with had even been through the same thing so they were very understanding.

Get yourself some time off and talk to your GP. Being more open was the best thing I've ever done and I feel so much better than I have in years.

On a totally different subject, I'm in first year driving and last week got an intent to prosecute letter about speeding asking for some information for me to determine my points and fine. I'm really worried that this will leave me one more offence away from my licence being revoked and what it's going to do to my insurance when I renew.

Advise I've had has gone from just take it on the chin, to appealing, to ignoring the letter altogether and nothing will happen (can't imagine this is good advice). Just to give you some insight, I was caught on camera or radar doing 56 on a motorway at 1:20 in the morning through a 40mph temporary restriction. Any advice?

Gentlemen, ladies and all who frequent.

In search of a bit of advice. I'm slowly losing my pots, for the past month all I've had in my head is the idea of going to the rather large bridge half a mile from mine and jumping off.

I'm not going to but I can't shake it off. Tried a billion things and nothing is working. I spoke to the doctors and he's given me some anti-depressants, a week with them and I'm feeling a lot worse, I also know I need to give them time. I'm just shy of breaking down and doing everything in my power not to so my son doesn't see me in a state but I'm now struggling to keep face and don't know how much longer I can keep it up. He doesn't need the stress, the poor sod has had enough to deal with himself.

I know a few people have been in a similar boat so I'm just looking for a bit of advice and ways to get out of this funk.

Thank-you for reading and your time.

Anti depressants always take time and you're right, waiting for your system to adapt is horrible. Remember that they aren't a magic happy pill, but more of a foundation for you to build on. Try your hardest to stay active, maybe do some activities with your son? You say he has had a lot to deal with but knowing his dad is going through something similar could be the most reassuring thing he will hear.

Good luck to you both.

• Paid Members

Do we have anyone on here who lived in Germany? I need to better understand the tax set up there and would really appreciate a crash course to support my other reading.

It also seems rents are cheaper, but again more info on that side would be great.

I'm after a specific performance from a Later with Jools Holland which used to be on YouTube but has now been taken down. Is there anywhere I could download specific episodes? It seems it would be in many people's interests to have them up somewhere.

It's Series 40, Episode 3 - the performance is St. Vincent - Northern Lights

Archived