Chili Posted January 12, 2025 Posted January 12, 2025 7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: Prime Time Wrestling also being added to The Vault. Best channel on YouTube We had loads of it on the WWE Network though, I love Prime Time but I don't see it as a massive win and more what we don't have now Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted January 13, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 13, 2025 Prime Time is a terrible show. Almost all the good stuff happened on the weekend shows. The Gorilla and Bobby interactions are often funny but I do find that once you've seen it a lot, it's very samey. The matches are generally atrocious and for a good period of the run, look like they are filmed in the dark. Despite it being even worse, I actually find the Vince and Bobby in a studio in front of an audience of terrible plants the most nostalgic. Quote
Chili Posted January 13, 2025 Posted January 13, 2025 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: Prime Time is a terrible show. Almost all the good stuff happened on the weekend shows. The Gorilla and Bobby interactions are often funny but I do find that once you've seen it a lot, it's very samey. The matches are generally atrocious and for a good period of the run, look like they are filmed in the dark. Despite it being even worse, I actually find the Vince and Bobby in a studio in front of an audience of terrible plants the most nostalgic. Yeah but we can watch it one big sitting these days in a binge, whereas it was only on once a week so it probably took longer for familiarity to breed contempt. Big fan of whoever it was online that just cut out the matches and left their dicking about in. I find Bobby & Gorilla wonderfully comforting to watch. A wrestling show hosted by an old married couple. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted January 13, 2025 Posted January 13, 2025 (edited) So my point about the upload of Prime Time Wrestling, which I wasn’t clear about, was that the vault is becoming the go to for former network content amongst all the other hidden gems. Speaking of which One of only two one on one matches they had in WWE, neither of which were televised Edited January 13, 2025 by WyattSheepMask Quote
The Reverend Posted January 13, 2025 Posted January 13, 2025 9 hours ago, tiger_rick said: Prime Time is a terrible show. Almost all the good stuff happened on the weekend shows. The Gorilla and Bobby interactions are often funny but I do find that once you've seen it a lot, it's very samey. The matches are generally atrocious and for a good period of the run, look like they are filmed in the dark. Despite it being even worse, I actually find the Vince and Bobby in a studio in front of an audience of terrible plants the most nostalgic. Prime Time is definitely a watch with your finger on fast forward kinda show. There's a channel on Youtube (jsg_games) who's been uploading a bunch from '89. Outside of a few decent matches, there's so much crap like Danny Davis vs The Red Rooster and Bad News Brown vs Koko B. Ware. Primetime was a slightly elevated Superstars or Challenge as it showed the odd main stars against each other matches in an era when it was rare (usually taped in the dingy surrounds of the Boston Garden or the San Francisco Cow Palace). Quote
The Gaffer Posted January 14, 2025 Posted January 14, 2025 (edited) Always remember getting this match on the Silvervision as a kid and loving the idea of it more than the match itself. Watching it back it's still a decent, serviceable back and forth but having Face Vs. Face after the Royal Rumble match itself really just killed the crowd for the most part. I know their SummerSlam match a year later is highly rated but I wish we got a much better Bret/'Taker PPV main event when they were in these characters. Held in high regard though it is, straight up good guy Bret is 'the' Bret Hart for me rather than his 97 turn and similarly I prefer the straightforward, relatively mute New Gen 'Taker to how he was positioned as somewhat of an afterthought as champion a year later. Edited January 14, 2025 by The Gaffer Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 14, 2025 Members Posted January 14, 2025 28 minutes ago, The Gaffer said: Held in high regard though it is, straight up good guy Bret is 'the' Bret Hart for me rather than his 97 turn and similarly I prefer the straightforward, relatively mute New Gen 'Taker to how he was positioned as somewhat of an afterthought as champion a year later. That's fair, although I like how the 97 Bret character gave a whole new flavour to their matches/feuds that year. I've never been a fan of Taker but his work with Bret is just brilliant, and in 97 I'd say it was the best of the lot. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted January 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 14, 2025 We never had Sky Sports at the time but I remember a mate at school telling me it was gonna be Bret Hart vs Undertaker at the Royal Rumble. I didn’t believe him. Back in the days when we weren’t seeing everyone wrestle everyone on a weekly basis, Bret vs Taker just seemed like one of those fantasy matches that would never happen. I didn’t know they’d already met back in 92 and I assumed their interaction during Taker’s debut at Survivor Series 90 was the only time they’d have crossed paths. Plus the fact they were both ‘good guys’ in 96, it just felt like a match that would only be possible in Hasbro land. Couldn’t believe it when I found out my mate was actually telling the truth. I was buzzing for it but, yeah, the idea of it was fun but it didn’t really set the world alight in practice for me. Not bad but it didn’t really meet expectations. Their 97 stuff pisses all over it. The SummerSlam and One Night Only matches are both great. Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted January 14, 2025 Posted January 14, 2025 2 hours ago, SuperBacon said: That's fair, although I like how the 97 Bret character gave a whole new flavour to their matches/feuds that year. I've never been a fan of Taker but his work with Bret is just brilliant, and in 97 I'd say it was the best of the lot. The two had a really decent match at MSG in early 92 when Undertaker was in full on zombie mode too. Most notable because Bret dropkicks Undertaker near the ropes, who goes backwards, realises he is going to land square on the announce desk, so somehow stays horizontal on the top rope for a second, changes direction, misses the announce desk and still lands square on his feet. Great stuff. Quote
sivy Posted January 14, 2025 Posted January 14, 2025 I've never liked the rumble match. Specially when compared to say the Bret/Diseal matches. I think the best part is the post match stuff backstage building to the next ppv and Mania. Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted January 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 14, 2025 (edited) On 1/13/2025 at 10:21 AM, tiger_rick said: Prime Time is a terrible show. Almost all the good stuff happened on the weekend shows. The Gorilla and Bobby interactions are often funny but I do find that once you've seen it a lot, it's very samey. The matches are generally atrocious and for a good period of the run, look like they are filmed in the dark. Despite it being even worse, I actually find the Vince and Bobby in a studio in front of an audience of terrible plants the most nostalgic. I’d be much more interested if they cut out the matches. They’re almost always overly long house show fayre and packed full of unnecessary rest holds, the slowest paced show the WWF ever produced. Tuesday Night Titans on the other hand…. Edited January 14, 2025 by garynysmon Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted January 14, 2025 Posted January 14, 2025 Next up: Shawn Michaels vs Triple H: Bad Blood 2004 Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 14, 2025 I watched the 1988 Royal Rumble on there last night, and late on, someone (maybe Ron Bass?) entered, and Vince on commentary made a big deal of how the match would really suit him because he's a Brawler. Mate, it's a battle royal in the WWF in 1988, nobody has done a single wrestling move in twenty minutes, it's been nothing but punches, how is anyone more uniquely a "brawler" than anyone else in there? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.