Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2025 at 2:27 PM, tiger_rick said:

This is going to be a shocking observation given the roles these two guys currently hold in the industry but you can absolutely see the blueprint for the WWE TV style here. The "throw the guy out of the ring so we can go to commercial" spot didn't seem as obvious as it does after 20 years. The telling the story of the match out loud at times, the facials , the selling and the near falls are an absolute hallmark of their work. It's just way better here. These guys are two of the great workers and it's also not as played out but you can see it. 

This is a great point. I think you can pretty clearly trace a line from the HBK/Triple H matches and the Undertaker matches both had with him at Wrestlemania's to the modern day style. It's like they decided "this is wrestling at it's best" and now every big match is designed to emulate them in some way.

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted
8 hours ago, FUM said:

Is there a thread on these? I feel like I remember one but, if not, there should be.

I live for the sub-10 minute match.

Yes.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2025 at 6:10 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't have the encylopaedic knowledge like all you nutters have for which events matches took place at but it's a testament to how brilliant that match is that I always remember it was from Summerslam 2002. It might make my top 10 of all time.

It's an excellent match but the small issue with it is that you can never experience it again with the real anxiety of the time. I was genuinely concerned for Shawn's back after his 4 year absence, bought all the selling hook, line and sinker and it was just an incredible match with real jeopardy. I really wish I'd never seen it again because you can't buy all that stuff once Shawn has been back for nearly ten years.

Definitely high on it too. In terms of matches I was emotionally invested in going in, it's up there with Warrior and Savage, SummerSlam 97 and the first HIAC.

Edited by tiger_rick
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It's the best channel on Youtube by a mile. In bits at the opening montage of this, followed by Paul Bearer saying him and Undertaker come down to the crypt to chill out, anyway here is Jeff Jarret vs Lex Luger from a 1994 live event.

Apparently this has a tape exclusive Michaels vs Razor match on it.

Edited by FLips
  • Paid Members
Posted
13 minutes ago, FLips said:

Apparently this has a tape exclusive Michaels vs Razor match on it.

Yeah, I had that tape as a kid. I don’t know 100% if it was exclusive to that tape only but I never saw it on any other tape. It’s a rare single match between them that doesn’t involve ladders (they had a belter on Raw in the summer of 94 as well) and I remember really enjoying it. 

Posted

The Razor/Shawn match is really good and it's a great tape overall. There is a Razor/Shawn match from not long after Razor turned in 1993 that's on another tape that isn't quite as good. They haven't gotten their chemistry sorted yet.

  • Paid Members
Posted
21 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's an excellent match but the small issue with it is that you can never experience it again with the real anxiety of the time. I was genuinely concerned for Shawn's back after his 4 year absence, bought all the selling hook, line and sinker and it was just an incredible match with real jeopardy. I really wish I'd never seen it again because you can't buy all that stuff once Shawn has been back for nearly ten years.

An excellent match with one of the best "tone" changes I've ever seen in a match. For the first 75% of it it's one of the most tense, brutal and emotional matches you'll see with genuine fear and concern for Shawn Michaels back. It feels incredibly real. HBK's selling is 100% convincing. Then in the end stage of the match Shawn looks down and out but all of a sudden comes back with a kip up, the crowd go fucking bananas, and Shawn goes right in the with the ultimate fiery babyface comeback. The tone of the match in an instant goes from gritty, brutal realism to full on epic pro wrestling superhero stuff. The relief, realisation and audience catharsis is incredible.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, FLips said:

It's the best channel on Youtube by a mile. In bits at the opening montage of this, followed by Paul Bearer saying him and Undertaker come down to the crypt to chill out, anyway here is Jeff Jarret vs Lex Luger from a 1994 live event.

Apparently this has a tape exclusive Michaels vs Razor match on it.

I started on this last night. Luger & Jarrett is brutal. I like Jeff in his veteran days but I'm never having any revisionism that tries to argue 93-95 Jarrett wasn't an absolute bore of a character and wrestler. When I heard about Luger using the rack in the WWF as the "Rebel Rack", I couldn't think if I'd ever seen it. Anyway, he uses it in this one, as shown in the thumbnail.

Michaels and razor is very good. The finish where Jannetty just breaks up a count in front of the referee is a choice though.

I loved the arena for the match. Had to look it up because it looks like an MSG entrance but is too small. It's in Springfield.

Edited by tiger_rick
Posted (edited)
Quote

When I heard about Luger using the rack in the WWF as the "Rebel Rack", I couldn't think if I'd ever seen it. Anyway, he uses it in this one, as shown in the thumbnail.

Although, strangely, that picture is from a different match. Jarrett is wearing black, purple and turquoise in that picture, but wears black, yellow and pink trim (which is over most of the mat by the end of it) in the match on the tape.

I personally blame Luger for the match being lacklustre, he walks out with all the enthusiasm of a man going for an adult circumcision with a chainsaw.

Edited by davertfnewman
  • Paid Members
Posted
55 minutes ago, davertfnewman said:

Although, strangely, that picture is from a different match. Jarrett is wearing black, purple and turquoise in that picture, but wears black, yellow and pink trim (which is over most of the mat by the end of it) in the match on the tape.

Par for the course. The Razor vs Shawn match on the WrestleFest 94 tape is Shawn defending, white tights. The cover shows Shawn in black tights… which easily could come from the Hits From The Crypt tape (Razor defending).

Posted
13 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Par for the course. The Razor vs Shawn match on the WrestleFest 94 tape is Shawn defending, white tights. The cover shows Shawn in black tights… which easily could come from the Hits From The Crypt tape (Razor defending).

It's not just there, on Netflix, The Royal Rumble 1993 picture is Doing suplexing Jim Powers from the unaired dark match... While you're at it WWE Vault.

Posted
16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Par for the course. The Razor vs Shawn match on the WrestleFest 94 tape is Shawn defending, white tights. The cover shows Shawn in black tights… which easily could come from the Hits From The Crypt tape (Razor defending).

Is that the one I mentioned above, where Shawn loses his temper because Diesel won't get into the right position on the opposite side of the ring?

  • Paid Members
Posted

At 3:30 Booker turns to, of all people, HHH. He tells him "Somebody gonna get fucked up tonight. I can feel it." Hope he did the lottery afterwards. 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I presume there's loads of Royal Rumble content coming in Jan. They've started with the greatest babyface turn they've ever done. Just magic stuff.

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...