Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I don't know, I just think if we're going to do this thread then the wrestler needs to have said something really stupid rather than taking (quite funny) shots at a billionaire nepo baby.

  • Paid Members
Posted
15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The biggest surprise is that GCW are even running the Hammerstein again.

That, “The Wrld,” show was such a massive pile of shit that I’d have assumed they were either banned from ever returning or they’d be too embarrassed to go back.

Them shitting the bed so spectacularly on that show will affect tickets sales a lot more than AEW running the same building.

Their entire promotion for it is "the last one was shit, wasn't it? I promise this time will be better", only now they have none of the goodwill they had going into the first one, and a product that's colder than a witch's tit.

Posted

Effy's podcast appearance was some time last week, maybe longer because it was before AEW confirmed Hammerstein publicly. GCW then get Ricky Starks on the Saturday, Moxley & Marina on Sunday the night after Full Gear. Which was the first time in a while that bigger name AEW talents had been working GCW.

So for anything stupid Effy may have said. TK did the dumber thing with the PR own goal.

  • Paid Members
Posted
16 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Effy's podcast appearance was some time last week, maybe longer because it was before AEW confirmed Hammerstein publicly. GCW then get Ricky Starks on the Saturday, Moxley & Marina on Sunday the night after Full Gear. Which was the first time in a while that bigger name AEW talents had been working GCW.

So for anything stupid Effy may have said. TK did the dumber thing with the PR own goal.

I guess in theory that's fine. Except when did Tony Khan hear it? I mean I don't stop what I am doing to listen to a new podcast once it drops. And then Effy released the clip later on.

 

30 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Their entire promotion for it is "the last one was shit, wasn't it? I promise this time will be better", only now they have none of the goodwill they had going into the first one, and a product that's colder than a witch's tit.

Yeah its no wonder they had only sold 200 tickets in the first 2 months with that. And now AEW announced they are running the month after suddenly thats the reason they aren't selling tickets and not because they are on the downs.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I imagine there's more to it than just Effy slagging off Tony on a podcast, seems like there's something bubbling under. I saw someone point out that Marina Shafir worked Bloodsport with Jon Moxley in her corner, and that the commentators didn't mention once that Mox was AEW World Champion. Given that WWE talent also worked that show, and that said show happened more recently than that Effy podcast, I expect something has happened coming out of that, in terms of who's permitted to work where and in what context.

It does seem unsustainable that a company could continue to feature WWE and AEW wrestlers on the same card.

Posted

I just generally get bad vibes off GCW. They have little moments that get my attention but give me the feeling of the worst of ECW/CZW ran through one of those No Mercy game mods where you've just got today's guys doing the same template.

Is Brett Lauderdale involved with these lot, because again yeah, proper studying the Heyman school of business but never did the final exam feel off him too.

Unless I'm thinking of another promotion and my brain is mush again.

  • Paid Members
Posted
49 minutes ago, Chili said:

I just generally get bad vibes off GCW.

Well they've booked plenty of scum bags, drug addicts, nonces and nazis in the past. But that's not really much different from most wrestling promotions I suppose.

50 minutes ago, Chili said:

Is Brett Lauderdale involved with these lot

He's the owner/promoter/booker.

GCW just looks to me like the same shitty sleazy death match spot monkey US indie that has always been around in some form for the past 25 years. Just with a better and sleeker sheen to it. My favourite thing about them is that apparently the usual breakable tables used for wrestling are too expensive these days so they have to use plywood doors. So they've just got fucking loads of doors under the ring. Ludicrous.

Posted

200 tickets? Not far off AEW's average gate then.

To be fair I haven't watched any GCW in ages, not since they tried so hard and failed at becoming a "legitimate" fed while sacking off most of the garbage wrestling that made them in the first place when CZW was off the boil.

Posted
4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

My favourite thing about them is that apparently the usual breakable tables used for wrestling are too expensive these days so they have to use plywood doors. So they've just got fucking loads of doors under the ring. Ludicrous.

Got to have a tables match with an AEW wrestler involved and call it a Forbidden Doors match.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 11/27/2024 at 11:40 AM, LaGoosh said:

My favourite thing about them is that apparently the usual breakable tables used for wrestling are too expensive these days so they have to use plywood doors. So they've just got fucking loads of doors under the ring. Ludicrous.

My understanding was that deathmatch companies started using doors because people had seen tables done to death, and using something for functionally the same spot that looked more solid and that people didn't think had been gimmicked, was a way to try and get past that sense of having seen it all before. But of course they then overdid it so much that they needn't have bothered.

If it is genuinely just that doors were cheaper, that's hilarious.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 11/27/2024 at 9:41 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't know, I just think if we're going to do this thread then the wrestler needs to have said something really stupid rather than taking (quite funny) shots at a billionaire nepo baby.

Well, Effy’s made your dreams come true. After doubling down on his comments about Tony Khan and AEW on his next podcast episode, he’s since blamed it on his sexuality 

And I’m not saying it’s the reason why the sales are bad, but this actually pretty sad for the wrestlers

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Well, Effy’s made your dreams come true. After doubling down on his comments about Tony Khan and AEW on his next podcast episode, he’s since blamed it on his sexuality 

No he hasn’t, he’s said that people can be shady in the gay community and he’s used to that. As ever, context is key here - he didn’t say ‘being gay made me do it, or ‘all gay people are bitchy’, he just said people in the gay community can be shady. I don’t see the problem with that, to be honest.

  • Paid Members
Posted
37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Well, Effy’s made your dreams come true.

I'm going to save this board the tedium of more D-Mal vs Scorch drama by following Lion's lead and putting you on ignore.

And I suggest that if your inclination towards a particular wrestling promotion and promoter is causing you to disingenuously tag someone into your ire who, amazingly, doesn't have a crystal ball and had no idea that being gay was going to cause a wrestler called Effy to be mean towards Tony Khan then maybe you are Tony yourself. I'm done with you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...