Well, Millard has produced another fantastic video that I've just watched with dinner, so what better way to honour him than talk about The Big Breakfast. 

I loved the show. I really only started watching around the Johnny and Denise era, and I'd say it definitely contributed to me going to school late a lot, and contributing to my truancy.

The video has bought to mind all these half memories like Johnny destroying a prototype of an invention with a cricket bat, Linton (was that his name?), the fit crew member with blonde hair and glasses, mutton chops, woman in a tabard, people doing bulldog poses and last but not least, Streaky Bacon.

Just what the fuck were people thinking agreeing to run down their road naked except for a bit of bacon. Seems like a fever dream.

Kelly Brook, bless her, was clearly a disaster, but Johnny and Liza Tarbuck was decent, before it shit the bed and became a bit of an irrelevance. 

But for a years it was fantastic, and had lots of fit people for teenage me to stare at before school. 

Also going to school in Twickenham, we'd see Trevor Baylis a LOT. He lived on Eel Pie Island and would just seemingly be on the bridge where the train station is every day, and was always nice enough to say hello to us.

Lastly, been racking my brains as to who the really fit news presenter was while writing this, and remembered. Jasmine Lowson. Hello!

spacer.png

Over to you. I'm sure some of the wrestling clips will crop up. 

Here is a great clip of David Chase and The Sopranos crew on there.

Anyone have a spare 8 hours? I stayed up to watch a fair few hours of this when I wasn't playing a bootleg copy of Resi 3 the family had as I was babysitting Millenium night.

The fucker has taken out the ads which is a shame, they're half of the rememberberries.

God I am such a sad act*, but this channel has quite a few videos of adverts if you're in to that sort of thing, and why wouldn't you be!!!???

*If anyone knows of a Winona Ryder lookalike, PLEASE send them my way as this has to stop.

• Paid Members

“GEEEEEEET YOUR, Get you knobbly nuts out” Don’t phone in it’s just for fun, “MORE TEA VICAR, MORE TEA VICAAAAAAR” Zig and Zag, Phil Gayle, The Bed interviews, Keith Chegwin knocking on doors, The Friday song. Yeah, I loved me some Big Breakfast. It didn’t always work (Sharon Davies, Richard Orford, Rick from Nickelodeon), but when they got presenters with great chemistry, it really worked. Often imitated, never bettered. A thing of its time, possibly. But was a blast while it lasted.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Anyone have a spare 8 hours? I stayed up to watch a fair few hours of this when I wasn't playing a bootleg copy of Resi 3 the family had as I was babysitting Millenium night.

The fucker has taken out the ads which is a shame, they're half of the rememberberries.

I watched this during the night a few years back after finishing late at work, while I was all depressed and miserable, and it proper cheered me up. Its a great time capsule. 

I signed up to Frantic Planet patreon to watch that Big Breakfast one. I watched the tribute to Rod Jane and Freddy today, and my God their "say no to a nonce" skits were a bit grim werent they?

48 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I watched this during the night a few years back after finishing late at work, while I was all depressed and miserable, and it proper cheered me up. Its a great time capsule. 

I signed up to Frantic Planet patreon to watch that Big Breakfast one. I watched the tribute to Rod Jane and Freddy today, and my God their "say no to a nonce" skits were a bit grim werent they?

Good to see other folk are on his Patreon. I love seeing people I also know from not on these parts sharing his work.

Anyway, here's Hulk Hogan and The Mega Powers.

• Paid Members

If ever I need to move quickly, I still say in my head “let’s hurry and scurry over to Peter Smith for the Big Breakfast news and weather.” I’m pathetic, I know.

• Paid Members

my stand-out memory of the Johnny and Denise years was of a sketch in a supermarket, which went on for about 10-15 minutes, entirely to get to Denise Van Outen saying "I've had a cock-up my end!".

There was a running joke - I think maybe it was a Richard Bacon thing, though it might have been Johnny Vaughan - of interviewing an "eccentric", and every few minutes interrupting them to offer them something to eat. "Nuts?" "Bananas?" "Fruitcake"?. Kept that joke running with some mates for years after the show stopped airing.

I loved Big Breakfast, I was another one who was regularly late to school because of it. Why was Zig and Zag on so late? I always knew that once they had been on, I was going to be late. I loved Lily Savage on there too. My stand out presenters are Gaby & Chris and then Denise & Johnny - though I can't stand Johnny Vaughn. Didn't Joe Mangle from Neighbours present for a while too? 

Ahh so many memories of being late to the school bus because of Kelly Brook. Sometimes it was almost like when Curry Man got fired from TNA and was dragged out of the building professing his love for Lauren, without the mildly racist "Asian" accent of course. Didn't Yokozuna crack on to Denise Van Outen at one point? 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

https://www.businessinsider.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-groping-accusations-response-2023-6#:~:text=Arnold Schwarzenegger has revisited the,the excuses%2C" he said.

Many many accusations over the years. Initially made shitty apologies, then made slightly better apologies. Has probably got away with all kinds of shit. He was also very vocally supportive of Eliza Dushku when she reported being sexually assaulted on the set of True Lies, which has been great for his optics/google search results. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

One of the best things about being ill and missing school was seeing what happened on Big Breakfast after 830 and watching all the way through to the end. Like most 90s culture it was great at it's time but I'd be too scared to go back and watch any of it as I'm sure it's terrible. No way Johnny Vaughn's snark snark lad act holds up. But there's definitely something to say in favour of morning telly being designed to be as wacky, fun and silly as possible rather than today's morning TV which ranges from the most boring, weak as piss light entertainment possible or just has people raging about the issues of the day.

EDIT: special mention for Biker Mice From Mars which I fucking loved. They used to show it in 3-4 minute clips I think. When it moved to BBC and they showed the full episodes I was in heaven. I had all the cool toys.

Edited by LaGoosh