Best album artwork

deathrey

I don't think we have had this thread before - delete this if we have. I was inspired by the best film posters thread but music was always more my thing so what are some of your favourite album artworks?

Mine is all decidedly stuck in the 90's, a bit like my music taste. I always loved the cover of Dirt by Alice in Chains

spacer.png

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday was also another favourite. The album artwork is very gothic and it doesn't actually suit the album but I always remember my cousin having a big poster of it on the wall and thinking it looked so so cool, I'd only ever heard Insane in the Brain at that stage.

spacer.png

Nirvana - In Utero is another favourite. I know Nevermind is probably the more iconic one but I always preferred this cover. It reminds me of a decrepit, fucked up angel statue I saw in the Vatican museum.

spacer.png

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I'm sure the music isn't to the majority of people's tastes, but I've always loved the album cover for ICP's Riddlebox. The design was drawn by Shaggy in the 90s and the simple but effective colour work just pops off at you. I'd doodle it all over notepads and school books all the time. 

Screenshot_20240413_201517_Chrome.jpg.81d4133069523e862b4a1766f3103682.jpg

Edited by Bus Surfer

Could do this all day but here's a few favourites. Have tried to stick with imagery I find genuinely impressive or weirdly evocative other than just "Here's the albums I like...:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Well.. my name is Merzbow. Spoilered because it makes your eyes go all funny.

Also, because in the pre-internet era this probably tricked so many people in to picking it up thinking it's some easy listening Jazz.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Always this one for me. One of my all time favourite albums and the atmosphere of the cover art (Theodor Kittelsen's "Fattigmannen") matches the music perfectly. It's gorgeous.

burzumhvis.jpg

At this stage I could spam this thread with hundreds of black metal covers that are paintings or depict beautiful environments but I'm going to limit myself to one more - one completely different to the Burzum cover above. Acid Bath are a wonderful band and sorely underrated and When The Kite String Pops is one of the best albums ever. For this album, they used a painting by John Wayne Gacy and it fits so incredibly well. Demented genius. 

acidbath.jpg

Like I said, going to try to limit myself to these 2 as album covers are some of my favourite things and there are so, so many I adore. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Awards Moderator

The eyes have it.

IMG_4402.thumb.jpeg.840cd4e182b2bbee62461eb024f1d141.jpeg

A one-album wonder, but the artwork is as lovely as their work.

IMG_4403.thumb.jpeg.b6bed7289e9d7ec672daf86c388f86d1.jpeg

Mad weirdo Graham Coxon has a self-portrait on the front of Blur’s best album.

IMG_4407.thumb.jpeg.d75bbf64ddd6bb3e977d2e095d2eab7c.jpeg

I mean, come on. Iconic and in keeping with the album.

IMG_4406.thumb.jpeg.2b72143d75f8f5a5c38e7e31eedb1bde.jpeg

Two Feet is probably the most intriguing artist about today, and this album cover reflects that.

IMG_4405.thumb.jpeg.ce1c4fd406c6e7eb16315671ca43c8a7.jpeg