Best album artwork

deathrey

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Van Halen Balance, something about this album cover, it's fucking strange but brilliant. 

spacer.png

I know it's probably poor form to criticise other people's choices, and it's absolutely nothing personal, but I have to register that I hate absolutely everything about this. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I know it's probably poor form to criticise other people's choices, and it's absolutely nothing personal, but I have to register that I hate absolutely everything about this. 

Very diplomatic of you G. It's absolutely fucking awful!

• Paid Members

Given how much effort famously went into their album covers (Storm Thorgerson was brilliant and uncompromising) and how iconic a lot of them were, this thread wouldn't be complete without Pink Floyd:

Wish You Were Here

pink%20floyd%20wish%20you%20were%20swede

The additional cover is pretty damn good too, I love it:

pinkfloydwishyouwerehere.jpg.45158e49cd2bc4ffe80292167a5b82e9.jpg

The Division Bell is absolutely inspired (it was a rush when I got to stand between the two massive metal heads at the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A):

ACPPR48134L

Pulse is much under-rated:

pulse.jpg

You will never see Battersea power station in a better light than in Animals:

ACPPR48128W

And, of course, there's no getting away from Dark Side Of The Moon, for which the term "iconic" is woefully insufficient:

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Storm Thorgerson was brilliant and uncompromising

Have you seen the Hipgnosis documentary?

A few of his have been featured in this thread already. The Peter Gabriel covers always stand out for me. So do the ones for Scorpions but for very very different reasons. Definitely the Kleberson and Djemba Djembas of their output. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Have you seen the Hipgnosis documentary?

A few of his have been featured in this thread already. The Peter Gabriel covers always stand out for me. So do the ones for Scorpions but for very very different reasons. Definitely the Kleberson and Djemba Djembas of their output. 

I haven't, no! Will check. 

I didn't see any Gabriel ones in this thread - those are a great mention, though.

This is my favourite one:

Peter_Gabriel_(self-titled_album,_1977_-

Pretty sure they did the Throbbing Gristle one Merzbow mentioned and possibly the Def Leppard one. This is the trailer for the doc. CW contains Noel Gallagher. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Pretty sure they did the Throbbing Gristle one Merzbow mentioned and possibly the Def Leppard one. This is the trailer for the doc. CW contains Noel Gallagher. 

I didn't know about the others, but that's good to know - I've added it to my Netflix watch-list.

For me it has to be Point Blank by Nailbomb. Just a black and white image, gun to the head and the band is called NAILBOMB ffs. It says it all.

I remember seeing it in a record shop when I was in my early teens and actually laughing that something this extreme even existed. 

Amazing song titles as well.

@FLips The cover to The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness is fantastic, great album name too and the video to 'Tonight, Tonight's which always seemed inspired by the album cover to me was also brilliant - all that said, I'm not actually a fan of Smashing Pumpkins but credit where it's due.