Clash at the Castle 2024 comes to Glasgow

Daaaaaad!

4 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

This could well happen. It could just be the 3rd big show in the UK in under 2 years, 5th in Europe. Then All In two years running. Is novelty lost? Or was it just really short notice? I know someone who travelled to Backlash, going to Germany but just thought fuck this I can't afford another.

I think it has an issue that people won't travel for it too. London doesn't rely on people to travel to it as Greater London has a population of about 3.5m more than Scotland and plenty of places have fairly easy access.

I'd make a guess it's oversaturation already. Plenty of wrestling fans will have already got their fix of a big time show from All In, CATC and MITB as well as many having paymid out for All In this summer. 

If I'd already been to 1 or 2 in the last year or so I wouldn't be interested in paying out again. Also the fact it's up one end of the country requiring travel time, hotel etc would put me off heading up from the south. European fans had/have France and Germany to attend already so a lot of people on finite budgets are likely tapped out. 

Families will have summer holidays coming up and the ticket prices could pay for a week's holiday. Another thing is being the start of summer it's festival season which might've won out. 

If ticket sales are indeed slower than expected then I think the extent to which pricing has had an impact can't be understated. Even when taking into account other factors like too many shows, location and sentiment towards the product, I think ticket sales would have been swift had pricing been close to reasonable. I know the plural of anecdote isn't data, but I know a large number of people who to all intents and purposes were going to the event prior to tickets going on sale. Schedules had been cleared, plans had been arranged and the main worry people had was availability of tickets. Once people went onto Ticketmaster and had a look at the cost, the game was up. For many families with a couple of kids it wasn't a case of not being able to justify the prices, they simply weren't able to cover the cost of tickets even if they wanted to. 

I don't think they'll be able to pull the same trick twice. The main selling point of this experience is the "once in a lifetime" nature of it for Scottish fans. That sounds slightly hyperbolic but it's true. I've been watching this guff since the 80s and having a big event here is something I've always wanted to see, but never thought I would. England were getting events in the 90s so it's hard to convey why this matters, but this is our Summerslam 92, and it's looking likely we'll have a Scotsman in the Main Event. As a piece of history, it was impossible for me to say no to this. If there was another televised WWE event up here, and if the prices are anything close to what they are for this one, even as a lone diehard I'd be more likely to stay at home than attend. I can't speak for France, but I'm fairly certain that once this historic first is out the way, they won't be able to get away with those prices. 

• Paid Members

@Donald J Trump there is also the novelty factor. I know a few people who enjoyed All In last year and aren’t going this year because of cost and novelty. This year has a proper stage, so there is no record breaking attendance. Plus prices are higher. In fact I got tickets in the pre sale last year and I haven’t bought tickets yet, though I will.

I don't think over saturation is a problem if the prices are reasonable. The product is hot. I'm sure enough people would love to go if it was doable. But they're getting greedy with the pricing and it's just not realistic, especially with life and costs being the way they are.

12 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't think over saturation is a problem if the prices are reasonable. The product is hot. I'm sure enough people would love to go if it was doable. But they're getting greedy with the pricing and it's just not realistic, especially with life and costs being the way they are.

Absolutely. I’ve been to a Mania, I’ve been to Clash, I was at MITB, I was at Raw when it came to Glasgow, I’ve been to the house shows on occasion when they come. I would absolutely have still went to this had I not been able to go to London and back for cheaper than a ticket to this event would cost me (minus costs when down there of course). I don’t even need a good seat, I sat back row at MITB and was happy enough. I could probably afford it as well if I REALLY wanted to but I’m simply not paying it out of principle (probably an element of fear trying to justify it to the other half too to be fair).

The costs have priced out a lot of working class families and even the middle class would baulk at them a bit.

There’s floor tickets for Raw this coming Monday in the US for under £400, a comparable ticket for SmackDown in Glasgow is £1300.

On 5/8/2024 at 11:16 AM, The Dart said:

I remember going to Insurrextion 2002 and sitting down in my seat in the very back row of Wembley Arena and thinking "these tickets were £50, how can they possibly be in the back row??!!??".   Times really have changed.

I think this shows how long it has been since I went to a WWE because I remember the same. I remember sitting up in the cheap seats at Sheffield Arena and they must have been around the same price. I know 'inflation' and all that but prices now are insane.

Still, if people are willing to pay it then who am I to say they're wrong? 

58 minutes ago, FUM said:

Absolutely. I’ve been to a Mania, I’ve been to Clash, I was at MITB, I was at Raw when it came to Glasgow, I’ve been to the house shows on occasion when they come. I would absolutely have still went to this had I not been able to go to London and back for cheaper than a ticket to this event would cost me (minus costs when down there of course). I don’t even need a good seat, I sat back row at MITB and was happy enough. I could probably afford it as well if I REALLY wanted to but I’m simply not paying it out of principle (probably an element of fear trying to justify it to the other half too to be fair).

The costs have priced out a lot of working class families and even the middle class would baulk at them a bit.

There’s floor tickets for Raw this coming Monday in the US for under £400, a comparable ticket for SmackDown in Glasgow is £1300.

The cheapest tickets available for Smackdown right now are £191.   That's not right at the back, but it's in the top level.   £191.....for Smackdown!

I went to Raw in New York earlier this year and my ticket for that was £150 or something which I thought was a bit of a pisstake but that show was like 200 seats away from being sold out and 5 or 6 days away when I bought the ticket so I went with it.

This isn't just a tickets are more expensive because it's a PPV, this is legit pisstaking.

If I had wanted to go my main concern before tickets went on sale would have been it selling out in 2 minutes.   That was my biggest concern with MITB last year and thus I didn't care about ticket price, I just wanted to get tickets.   With this one though, sure it's still a month away, but there's a lot of tickets available.   It selling out wouldn't have needed to be a concern at all.  And I doubt people are waiting to see what gets announced - tickets are too expensive is surely the only reason so many seats are still available.

• Paid Members

Is this the base prices or is this due to Ticketmaster's immoral price surging strategy they've implmeneted the last couple years?

I still absolutely despise Bruce Springsteen because of it. When he defended the price surging - I've never gone from wanting to see someone so much live to really not being arsed about it anymore.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, FUM said:

Just to add some context to this because often people balk at comparing prices between countries due to exchange rates affecting the true relative cost and other economic factors ; not allowing for deductions, roughly speaking a minimum wage employee in the States would have to work 69 hours to earn the cost of their ticket, and a Brit 122 hours in comparison.

11 hours ago, Bettencourt said:

Is this the base prices or is this due to Ticketmaster's immoral price surging strategy they've implmeneted the last couple years?

BBC done a report on the radio too and within it said they had reached out to Ticketmaster and were told WWE set the prices. They were also told off the record by WWE that prices were as low as £71 for some tickets but nobody at WWE agreed to go on the record with that comment.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

WWE sent an email out today announcing the following matches for next Friday night's SmackDown at the Hydro - which, need I remind you, has a direct clash (at the castle) with Scotland vs. Germany:

Intercontinental Championship: Sami Zayn (c) vs. Finn Balor

Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus

So in Glasgow, on a Friday night when many will have been tinning up all day, they're celebrating by having the wrestling equivalent of an Old Firm derby. It's certainly a choice. No word on whether Sheamus fans are banned from taking up their allocated tickets.

Edited by Daaaaaad!
That’s ‘Zayn’ with an ‘n’.