Wrestlemania falls from grace

Chili

Whilst maybe not as big a fall as some others mentioned

Bobby Lashley went from Successfully retaining the WWE Championship in the 1st match in front of fans for over a year at Wrestlemania 37 to being in a bit of a nothing match with Omos a year later

5 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

Whilst maybe not as big a fall as some others mentioned

Bobby Lashley went from Successfully retaining the WWE Championship in the 1st match in front of fans for over a year at Wrestlemania 37 to being in a bit of a nothing match with Omos a year later

That's a good one. Omos is likely to be omitted from the card this year after 3 matches of a reasonably high profile (Tag with AJ, Vs Lashley, Vs Brock) so we'll have another one there.

Speaking of Brock, how about Dean Ambrose who went from taking on Brock in the disappointment of the card to being on the preshow against Corbin, yes it was for the IC title but still a massive demotion following a year with a WWE title win. That was it too, he missed the next year due to injury and the decided not to use him IIRC in 2019 as he was on his way out only to then give him the grand Shield send off a few weeks later.

One for this could be Ted Dibiase Jr. Going into Wrestlemania 26 the consensus seemed to be that hopes for him were high and he’d be the break out star of Legacy. I don’t think anyone expected Orton to still be in such a prominent position in 2024 and for Cody to be the star of the company. Even by Wrestlemania 27 the following year Orton was still in a prominent position against CM Punk and Cody got a win over Rey Mysterio. Meanwhile Ted was in the pre-show battle royal won by Khali. These days he’s facing jail for fraud. 

15 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Fandango beat Chris Jericho in his first Wrestlemania appearance, then spent the next 4 or 5 arsing around in the Get Everyone On The Card Battle Royale.

Fandango (and Summer Rae) is one of the biggest 'how the hell did they not make it?' to me in modern era, They looked great, they had a unique gimmick. I put it down to they were in the wrong era, if they were around ten years earlier they could have been more.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Fandango (and Summer Rae) is one of the biggest 'how the hell did they not make it?' to me in modern era, They looked great, they had a unique gimmick. I put it down to they were in the wrong era, if they were around ten years earlier they could have been more.

It was a one note joke though wasn’t it? Once every arena on the circuit has had a turn singing the tune, you ask “OK, what else is there?” And it turned out, not much.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

One for this could be Ted Dibiase Jr. Going into Wrestlemania 26 the consensus seemed to be that hopes for him were high and he’d be the break out star of Legacy. I don’t think anyone expected Orton to still be in such a prominent position in 2024 and for Cody to be the star of the company. Even by Wrestlemania 27 the following year Orton was still in a prominent position against CM Punk and Cody got a win over Rey Mysterio. Meanwhile Ted was in the pre-show battle royal won by Khali. These days he’s facing jail for fraud. 

It's mad looking back that at the time, a lot of online fans/forums etc had Ted Dibiase down as the man who would end Undertakers streak (I've no idea where the idea came from but I remember it gaining a lot of traction online at the time). And then he faded into obscurity whereas his bland tag-team partner who didn't wear kneepads is on the verge of being the next WWE megastar.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's mad looking back that at the time, a lot of online fans/forums etc had Ted Dibiase down as the man who would end Undertakers streak (I've no idea where the idea came from but I remember it gaining a lot of traction online at the time).

I think it came from the fact that Dibiase Sr was the one who brought Undertaker in from a storyline point of view, so it kind of makes sense that he finally loses to the son of the guy who brought him in. It would have had some legs had Jr not been so shit and if they had given him more of a push. 

• Paid Members

The treatment of Ted Jr was really odd. At Elimination Chamber he got a fairly good pop for betraying Orton - in Randy's hometown, no less - and the scene seemed set for Ted to be the babyface and Cody to side with Orton over him. For whatever reason, Simply Priceless stayed together, it was Orton that turned face, then beat them both by himself at Mania. The end of Ted and setting Cody back quite considerably.

Bit of a "what if", I remember DiBiase Jr being pretty good.  Am I right in thinking he more or less decided he didn't want to be a wrestler and left the business?  (and then became a scammer, natch).

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Bit of a "what if", I remember DiBiase Jr being pretty good.  Am I right in thinking he more or less decided he didn't want to be a wrestler and left the business?  (and then became a scammer, natch).

If there is one thing that the wrestling business teaches you to do well it's scam. Both Dibiase's and Bret Favre showed that they had great minds for the business. 

• Paid Members

Papa Shango ran in on the Main Event of Mania 8 (late if you believe the stories) ahead of his headline feud with the Warrior on the summer house shows and by the greatest Mania of them all, WrestleMania 9 - he was laying down for El Matador in the pre-show dark match.

Lex Luger was (kind of) part of the Wrestlemania 10 main event in ‘94 and dropped down to the opening match the following year teaming with Davey Boy Smith to face the Harris Twins.

Does Steve Austin main eventing WrestleMania 17 and then working against Scott Hall in a bit of a nothing match at WrestleMania 18 count? I know they had proposed Hogan to him that year and he had refused it, which meant he was sort of lost in the shuffle a little.

Edited by Roy

• Paid Members

Not exactly a high peak, but Tito Santana had a double slide from grace.

1-3 Won the first match in Wrestle Mania history > lost a tag match > lost a six man

4-9 Tag team champion (but lost titles) > lost a tag match > lost an extended squash > lost in 81 seconds > lost the opener > lost the dark match.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, JNLister said:

4-9 Tag team champion (but lost titles) > lost a tag match > lost an extended squash > lost in 81 seconds > lost the opener > lost the dark match.

(ahem)

I've spent the last 21 years assuming I had a 50% chance of knowing what the finish to this match was, given that SOW told me who won. Today I learn, neither was correct, and neither was "schoolboy" which would have been my third guess.