Reigns/Cody - How Will It Go?

Frankie Crisp

What’ve you got?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Of course, none of that is happening. Cody wins, with The Rock turning back babyface and somehow helping, but not directly influencing the finish- like Goldberg interfering in Eddie vs. Brock. Then Cody's the man, everyone's happy... until 3 months later when everyone's sick of him and posting "LOL Super Cody".

Lesnar was speared out of his boots by Goldberg during his match with Eddie G...

Honestly though I don't need it to be super clean. I'd greatly enjoy a main event where every member of the Bloodline and every mother who Reigns ever pissed off some how gets involved LEADING to The Rock be the final factor (again not directly... maybe pull a chair away from Reigns he was hoping to use as a weapon). 

It will be the most fun clusterfuck of a match of all time in a good way.

I'm hoping for a super schmoz ala HHH v Sting, as I think I mentioned before.  I expect Bloodline interference, counter interference from associated faces, the Rock interfering, hopefully Austin coming out to counter him.  Just make the whole thing as memorable and insane as possible, but make sure Cody hits a clean finisher to end the match.

There are so many moving parts to this storyline, it would be disappointing to have a simple one on one match.

10 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Lesnar was speared out of his boots by Goldberg during his match with Eddie G...

Honestly though I don't need it to be super clean. I'd greatly enjoy a main event where every member of the Bloodline and every mother who Reigns ever pissed off some how gets involved LEADING to The Rock be the final factor (again not directly... maybe pull a chair away from Reigns he was hoping to use as a weapon). 

It will be the most fun clusterfuck of a match of all time in a good way.

Yeah, but the actual finish was Eddie reversing the F5 into a DDT on the belt, followed by the Frog Splash. Eddie didn't immediately win because of the Goldberg Spear, that's what I meant.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Of course, none of that is happening. Cody wins, with The Rock turning back babyface and somehow helping, but not directly influencing the finish- like Goldberg interfering in Eddie vs. Brock. Then Cody's the man, everyone's happy... until 3 months later when everyone's sick of him and posting "LOL Super Cody".

I think people who actually watch and follow the product would say it better but surely that sort of audience just isn't there anymore? The core of the WWE support are people who were watching and arguing vigorously that it was a good product during the absolute dregs of the pre-pandemic era, the empty arena shows, the thunderdome and the last days of sex-pest Vince. They are people who attended shows and chanted "Thank you, Vince". They're people who are all over social media posting defences of the company and attacking other companies like they're in the dressing room or the board room. 

I detest the company and everyone associated with it but it's impossible to argue that they haven't completely satisfied their fanbase - until they tried a massive hard right turn towards The Rock. This isn't a fanbase looking to find fault with everything like before, I don't think. It's a company that would have to create massive flaws to upset them.

• Paid Members

There's also the fact that Rhodes appeals to the workrate perverts in ways that Cena never did, so he's never going get the push-back that Big Match John did.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There's also the fact that Rhodes appeals to the workrate perverts in ways that Cena never did, so he's never going get the push-back that Big Match John did.

You know what? I'm the biggest pervert there is, and this isn't the appeal to me. I got to see him wrestle live against Kota Ibushi (ZOMG) at a Wrestle Kingdom at the Tokyo Dome (so add an extra two stars on) .... and there and then, he was still just Cody Adequate Rhodes. But today... I just like the bloke and want him to win. Moreover, I just like that there's a viable top babyface at last, and he should be on top. That's the biggest win of all. We haven't had a top babyface that the company and the fans aligned on since Steve Austin.

I don't want The Rock to turn back babyface. I think the best way to to go would be to have The Rock remain heel, turning on Reigns for losing to Cody. A face Reigns vs. a heel Rock seems much more interesting to me. Before we get there, Cody/Rock for the title (if he's willing to make himself available) could be a heck of a lot of fun. There would be definite intrigue - is it building up to Rock winning the title to defend against Reigns? Is Reigns going to get his revenge on Rock mid-match? I'm all for that kinda scenario. Paul Heyman could always act as Rock's mouthpiece in his absence, much as he has for Roman. 

• Paid Members
Just now, RedRooster said:

Paul Heyman could always act as Rock's mouthpiece in his absence, much as he has for Roman. 

And when Reigns come back there'd be an easy promo to write that Paul's a leech that jumped straight onto Rock when he sensed there was a better meal to be had, which he should have seen coming, because he discarded Lesnar in favour of him.

Oops, maybe we can't have that promo after all.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Surely, there aren't any fans left who aren't workrate perverts? Not a single one.

• Paid Members

Cody Rhodes has been pushed as the new John Cena for two years straight, beating practically everyone and almost never losing. He’s universally loved and cheered more than ever.

The days of contrarian fans hate-watching WWE and top babyfaces suffering a backlash are long gone.

Anyone predisposed to hate WWE or their style of television has a proper alternative in AEW now. Workrate perverts have all migrated. All that’s left are kids and idiots like me. People who earnestly enjoy the product. WWE themselves have also adjusted their approach to actually listening to their fanbase and trying to reward and satisfy them. Five years ago it’d still be The Rock vs. Roman at Wrestlemania and fuck you if you don’t like it. It’s a completely different world now.

I don’t believe there’ll ever be a backlash against Cody as babyface World Champion, but even if there was they’d just turn him heel. We’ll never go back to the days of just making the poor bastard wear blue contact lenses as he gets booed out of every building in the country.

Plus, one other major factor is that Cody is the fucking man. He’s impossible to boo. Might get myself a neck tattoo for Mania.

• Paid Members

I don’t know what to tell you If you think The Rock stepping in and inexplicably stealing Cody’s spot was top babyface behaviour.

If anything, it was the ultimate example of how much both the company and the fans have moved on. Actual character and narrative now matters. They’d developed a genuine connection with their main protagonist and his quest. They could recognise that it was a bullshit move for him to get fucked off in favour of the out-of-touch, Hollywood nutter.

Five to ten years ago? Such bollocks would have been accepted as the norm. Someone from the Attitude Era would automatically trump whatever shit we had going on these days. The default opinion was that everything was rubbish and better back in the day. Not now though. People are actually engaged. We’ve got our guy and he’s better than all that nonsense from the 90s. Woooooaaaoooooh!

Edited by Supremo

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

I don’t know what to tell you If you think The Rock stepping in and inexplicably stealing Cody’s spot was top babyface behaviour.

If anything, it was the ultimate example of how much both the company and the fans have moved on. Actual character and narrative now matters. They’d developed a genuine connection with their main protagonist and his quest. They could recognise that it was a bullshit move for him to get fucked off in favour of the out-of-touch, Hollywood nutter.

Five to ten years ago? Such bollocks would have been accepted as the norm. Someone from the Attitude Era would automatically trump whatever shit we had going on these days. The default opinion was that everything was rubbish and better back in the day. Not now though. People are actually engaged. We’ve got our guy and he’s better than all that nonsense from the 90s. Woooooaaaoooooh!

Not sure I can agree with that when the entire build to Wrestlemania 30 was ‘hijacked’ by the fans rejecting Batista in favour of Daniel Bryan and WWE pivoting to that. The natural plan then was for Bryan to win the Title after being screwed out of it by the Authority from Summerslam onwards but as soon as Batista decided to come back they pivoted to him and Orton for the title at Mania. Again then just like now with Rock they had to turn Batista heel but kept him involved in the Main Event. Not saying it’s exactly the same but it’s pretty similar.