WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

I'm wondering if they will add a tier or bolt on. There's so much content they need to create a mini section to stop Netflix being all WWE but surely they would have announced any extra fees by now. I assume Netflix have made calculations on howany extra subscribers they'll get to watch WWE and priced it in

I do expect PLEs to increase their ads between matches and more signage in the arena 

They aren't creating another tier for wrestling. They're just going to do what they already do, which is bump up the costs of Standard w/ads, Standard, Premium. They don't have varied enough rights to create a Premium Live type tier.

For less money than making Rebel Moon, The Gray Man, and Red Notice every year they get everything internationally. Raw domestically and not sure what else as the Peacock deal still has time to run.

38 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Not content tiers though. Like what Prime has with Shudder etc. 

And hopefully Netflix won’t introduce them. I suppose we’ll find out.

For Wrestlemania I remember some markets Australia/NZ maybe were shown on Netflix. This is about getting more into ad revenue and sponsors, not subscribers.

Peacock in the states never created a WWE tier.

WWE have come out themselves saying they had other offers, but one of the reasons Netflix was so attractive was being able to grow the brand internationally. That's not the mindset of a company thinking they're about to get silo'd off behind an additional paywall.

• Paid Members

Tier Talk is better than Ratings Ramblings but not as bad as Attendance Arguments. Netflix want content, as to wrongly quote Eric Bischoff "Content Creates Cash" Netflix will make money off this deal of that you can be assured, there might be extra tiers but I doubt it, they want to get people signed up and eyes on as easily as possible. 

• Paid Members

Its been reported in the past that one of the issues Netflix have had is keeping people subscribed month in, month out as a lot of people tended to subscribe to binge a particular popular show or movie, the dump it until something else comes up.

With the WWE, they have brand new weekly content all year round(probably the only show/property that can really provide this, isnt it?) . It worth it to them for that reason alone. 

Once they go deeper into live sports and events, then I can see the tier system coming into play more...

55 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Its been reported in the past that one of the issues Netflix have had is keeping people subscribed month in, month out as a lot of people tended to subscribe to binge a particular popular show or movie, the dump it until something else comes up.

I would always have thought that is the only way anyone would ever have Netflix.   I just get it for one month once or twice a year.   I figured that's what everyone does and the whole point of streaming services is that you can do that.   But the amount of comments I've read from people saying things like "I've had Netflix for 10 years but I've finally cancelled due to price increases etc" surprised me recently.  But you are right, with something like WWE being on there with a new episode every single week every single year, that's going to be a reason for a lot of people, me included, to have an ongoing subscription.   Even more valuable here with Raw, Smackdown, NXT and the PLEs being on there (and possibly the classic content, documentaries etc).   In America it's just Raw - but that will be enough for a lot of people.  I can see why if a show you love and re-watch again and again is on a streaming service you might always have, I'm thinking The Simpsons being on Disney+ is almost enough to just always have Disney+, but I don't know why anyone would subscribe to Netflix for 10 straight years - seems crazy.

I haven't watched WWE for years, apart from the odd bit on Channel 5, so it moving to Netflix will be good for our family.

We've had Netflix for a couple of years and there's usually something on there we watch during the week. With WWE being added too, I can't see us getting rid of it any time soon. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The Dart said:

I would always have thought that is the only way anyone would ever have Netflix.   I just get it for one month once or twice a year.   I figured that's what everyone does and the whole point of streaming services is that you can do that.   But the amount of comments I've read from people saying things like "I've had Netflix for 10 years but I've finally cancelled due to price increases etc" surprised me recently.  But you are right, with something like WWE being on there with a new episode every single week every single year, that's going to be a reason for a lot of people, me included, to have an ongoing subscription.   Even more valuable here with Raw, Smackdown, NXT and the PLEs being on there (and possibly the classic content, documentaries etc).   In America it's just Raw - but that will be enough for a lot of people.  I can see why if a show you love and re-watch again and again is on a streaming service you might always have, I'm thinking The Simpsons being on Disney+ is almost enough to just always have Disney+, but I don't know why anyone would subscribe to Netflix for 10 straight years - seems crazy.

Back when it was really cheap, I just used to see it as an extra "channel" in addition to my Sky package, so kept it going month on month. Once the price started to creep up, I dipped in and out as and when something interested me. 

The only service I have had consistently, is Prime. Simply because I get it with the delivery service(and we use Amazon A LOT for random supplies for our businesses).

1 minute ago, The Dart said:

I don't know why anyone would subscribe to Netflix for 10 straight years - seems crazy.

The only subscription services I've dipped in and out of are Apple and Paramount (other than the occasional cheap channel subscription on Amazon like Arrow or Shudder when they're on offer). Others - Netflix, Disney, WWE Network, Amazon.. I've not cancelled at all since I started them.

There's either enough new regular content to keep me going or the kids will have their favourites they watch over and over. To me it's no real difference to having a continuous subscription to a TV channel or something.

Although admittedly the more services there are, the less I've been using Netflix myself simply because it's a very watered down version of what it used to be when it was originally launched. Now everything's all over the place. But WWE being on there will probably be my reason for keeping it.

• Paid Members
On 9/10/2024 at 8:45 AM, garynysmon said:

1992 episodes of Superstars and 1997 Raw’s are going up the swanny aren’t they?

Old School Pro Wrestling on YouTube has you covered for years of Superstars, Challenge, Prime Time and some Saturday Night and Thunders too. There's loads of 1992 Superstars on there aswell.

There's a similar Old School Pro Wrestling Clips account that's great for clips of 1997 Raws and nWo on Nitro.

3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Back when it was really cheap, I just used to see it as an extra "channel" in addition to my Sky package, so kept it going month on month. Once the price started to creep up, I dipped in and out as and when something interested me. 

The only service I have had consistently, is Prime. Simply because I get it with the delivery service(and we use Amazon A LOT for random supplies for our businesses).

To be fair, when I used to have Sky, I did have Netflix as a constant subscription as it was built into the Sky Box, including the search features and everything and was only an extra £4 per month or something.  When I got rid of Sky, I got rid of Netflix and just get it for maybe 2 months a year when there's something new on I want to watch.

My son would kill me if we cancelled it, he loves having his own little profile section and getting recommendations and stuff. I imagine a lot of families have it for the ease of use and knowing it is safe content for younger ones. 

Wonder if wwe will get added to the kids section too