Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 Lion Rush and Andretti in those jackets... fucking state of them. Legion of Dumb for sure. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 3 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said: Lion Rush and Andretti in those jackets... fucking state of them. Legion of Dumb for sure. I think it's ok for heels to look stupid. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 20 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: I think it's ok for heels to look stupid. Absolutely, I just wanted to do a shite Legion of Doom comparison. That said, Rush wears that stuff as a face too. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 29 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said: Lion Rush When I'm on way home and I really need a wazz. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 Well, shite joke and a typo. I've really let the side down. ? Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted December 13, 2024 Awards Moderator Posted December 13, 2024 10 hours ago, BomberPat said: The Death Riders tried to murder OC after the match, and none of his mates seem remotely bothered by it. When they did it again, it was FTR who saved him, rather than any of his actual friends. Maybe the Jericho Vortex killed the Conglomeration. The weirdest part of the quoted bit above for me was FTR saying “we got no problem” with Moxley and co in their promo. Really? You’re fine with the occasional attempted murder then? Okay. Just as silly was when they showed the All In Texas press conference footage, featuring the recently murdered Bryan Danielson looking absolutely fine and completely unconcerned about having been killed off so brutally. I’ve said this before but the lack of joined-up thinking on these shows is really frustrating, more so because we know they can connect all the dots, they just aren’t at the moment. I agree this was a decent show, but there’s a list of little things that are bothering me, and those are the things I come away thinking about instead of the good stuff, and it never used to be that way in AEW. Like why has nobody told Will Ospreay that wearing green or red or gold made him stand out a lot more than Everybody Wears It Black? I’d like to give the benefit of the doubt and say Ricochet cheating to beat Brody via exposed turnbuckle (and getting booed to fuck for it) was intentional, but they didn’t seem to be selling it that way. I can’t get excited at the prospect of Matt Cardona being All Elite. They’ve already got so, so many generic white guy wrestlers, I cannot see what he’ll add that you can’t get from dozens of others on the roster. I’ll also choose to believe they know what they’re doing with Toni, because if this is the end of Timeless I am absolutely not on board. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 13, 2024 16 hours ago, RedTwoster said: Ah, well, I like Matt Cardona. He’s better as a heel though, he’s more than capable of filling the veteran, semi-credible and very punchable bad guy role left vacant by Shaun Spears. That's all well and good and should always guarantee him a role somewhere. But that somewhere shouldn't be AEW. AEW needs to be the alternative and having a guy with such a massive WWE 2010s stench to him is not good at all. Especially when you look at the guys and gals on the sidelines doing nothing while someone like him gets TV time. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted December 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 13, 2024 One of the biggest achievements during the Daily’s Place Era was them correctly recognising that Cardona was a bit shit and not worth their time, letting him go after his brief run. I give him all the credit in the World for making a name for himself on the Independents and recognising the novelty and heat of Zack Ryder doing death matches in places like GCW. But bring him into a big, mainstream company and it’s remarkable how quickly he becomes worthless. Is Cardona still one of the main guys in GCW? Is this some type of political play, where Tony gets his revenge on Effy and GCW by stealing him? Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted December 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 13, 2024 9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: That's all well and good and should always guarantee him a role somewhere. But that somewhere shouldn't be AEW. AEW needs to be the alternative and having a guy with such a massive WWE 2010s stench to him is not good at all. Especially when you look at the guys and gals on the sidelines doing nothing while someone like him gets TV time. For me, he shed the Zack Ryder stink on the indie scene; but I totally accept that it’s easier to make the case for Cardona not being in AEW than the opposite. I think he’s got the talent to change your opinion, but equally, but once his feud against Jericho runs its course, I imagine he’ll be relegated to ROH TV anyway; like Johnny TV, I can't see him being a permanent fixture on Dynamite. Quote
The Gaffer Posted December 13, 2024 Posted December 13, 2024 I dislike what I've seen of Cardona in a way where I still sense I might be being unfair on him. It's the whole "I've pulled myself up by my bootstraps, you know!" gimmick. Okay, we know. "I've made something of myself from nothing and took my chances!" Alright, stop going on about it! "But I'm a wrestler you see. Wrestling's what I love to do, and ain't nobody can stop me!" Fuck off, geez. Hate that stuff. See also: FTR Bald's bi-annual "I reallllly love this business!" promos. Quote
Guest Posted December 13, 2024 Posted December 13, 2024 35 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: For me, he shed the Zack Ryder stink on the indie scene; but I totally accept that it’s easier to make the case for Cardona not being in AEW than the opposite. I think he’s got the talent to change your opinion, but equally, but once his feud against Jericho runs its course, I imagine he’ll be relegated to ROH TV anyway; like Johnny TV, I can't see him being a permanent fixture on Dynamite. Yeah, agree with this. It's hard to get too worked up about Cardona as he looks like he's coming in to face Jericho and then go back to what he was doing, or at worst hang about on ROH TV. They're actively shopping for a TV deal and I guess Jericho has convinced them that both of them have some name value. I'm not a TV exec, so what do I know? Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted December 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 13, 2024 (edited) There's nothing wrong with Cardona in the spot he's in. The issue is the spot he's in is ROH Title contender and ROH, ROH champions and ROH belts should not be anywhere near AEW TV, except Rampage if you must. It has dragged their shows down for so long and I think it's the number 1 reason why their booking fell off a cliff. Tony must be the only person on the planet with a hard-on for ROH. Put the fucking thing in the fucking bin. I really liked this week's show generally. I thought last week's was weak, and the Battle Royal was about the worst thing they've ever put on TV, but this was much better. Only everything involving Adam Cole isn't doing it for me at the moment. The C2 is great. I still like the top act. The people lining up for a shot at the World title is good. The women are killing it. Chris Jericho is only on for 1 minute. It's (nearly) all good. Crowds for the last two weeks have been much better. The shame about the shit show last week is that that crowd in Indiana were great. I'm even enjoying Collision at the moment. I think things will turn around if they keep focus in the right places. Even if people don't buy the big angle at the top, between that, the C2 and the other big stories, keeping hammering home that Moxley, Hangman, OC, Darby, Swerve, Mariah, Toni, Ospreay, and I guess now Fletcher, are the stars of this promotion and having them on and doing something on every show is a positive. Edited December 13, 2024 by tiger_rick Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted December 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 13, 2024 9 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said: I’d like to give the benefit of the doubt and say Ricochet cheating to beat Brody via exposed turnbuckle (and getting booed to fuck for it) was intentional, but they didn’t seem to be selling it that way. It has to be a slow burn heel turn; he was selling frustration through the match, and had MVP's business card in his hand earlier. It's very funny that they're teasing him having a new manager in a tournament with managers barred from ringside, but turning him heel is probably the best thing they can do for him - he doesn't stand out as a flippy guy in AEW, and has very little else to offer. I don't have much faith in him being able to meaningfully reinvent himself as a bad guy, but it's worth a shot at least. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted December 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 13, 2024 I think, if ROH gets a TV deal, it'll be around less, weirdly. This is all a bit of a push to try and get it its own thing. This week felt like a strong show overall. While there were some issues and miscommunication, really enjoyed the opening match and the main event in particular. Holy shit, the pop when Orange Cassidy and Mox both got tagged in - the crowd were really into that. The one thing that bugged me was actually a really small detail - them cutting to Christian and his gang as he sent them away. It made it look like a psychic decision - cutting to them just before they did something. And it would have actually been more interesting if it had cut back to them and Kip etc had all gone. You'd be half-wondering what they were up to. However, I almost forgave all of that for the tremendous sliding bump Christian took on the counter-top into the wall. Quote
Chili Posted December 13, 2024 Posted December 13, 2024 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: It has to be a slow burn heel turn; he was selling frustration through the match, and had MVP's business card in his hand earlier. It's very funny that they're teasing him having a new manager in a tournament with managers barred from ringside, but turning him heel is probably the best thing they can do for him - he doesn't stand out as a flippy guy in AEW, and has very little else to offer. I don't have much faith in him being able to meaningfully reinvent himself as a bad guy, but it's worth a shot at least. Teasing a new manager? Right, just checking if Lana's contract expired or not. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.