Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 (edited) 1 hour ago, FLips said: I have no faith in this iteration of Toni Storm because she's just not very good. Never has been. Timeless hid the rubbishness with bells and whistles and without that there's nothing going on there. Even with that being said, I can't go back through recent memory and go "that Timeless Toni Storm match was great" and I can even do that for the likes of Britt Baker. Nah, I'm not having that. The "Timeless" stuff is more than "bells and whistles" - it's a fully fleshed out and brilliant character. And Toni has definitely had some good matches - her match with Mariah May at All In was bloody great and her match with Mina Shirakawa earlier in the year was good too from what I remember. Edited December 12, 2024 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Nah, I'm not having that. The "Timeless" stuff is more than "bells and whistles" - it's a fully fleshed out and brilliant character. And Toni has definitely had some good matches - her match with Mariah May at All In was bloody great and her match with Mina Shirakawa earlier in the year was good too from what I remember. She also had a cracking little match with Skye Blue, towards the end of last year, I think? Quote
CDM Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 I think the Timeless toni storm gimmick was ended before it got stale. Aew don't tend the read the room that well so fair play to them. It does seem a bit stale at the moment though. It's feels like they are leaning on the continental classic to much. The issue is its essentially a third, fourth placed title. Behind the tnt I'd say. So they are using a lot of the story on a title that isn't really worth that much. Last year moxley and hangman were in it which are two former aew champions and main eventers. Obviously osprey and okada are big but it doesn't feel as big as it did last year. If it was a one of competition like the G1 and had more main eventers in it would feel much bigger. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 8 minutes ago, CDM said: So they are using a lot of the story on a title that isn't really worth that much. Last year moxley and hangman were in it Hangman was not in it. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 1 hour ago, CDM said: If it was a one of competition like the G1 How do you mean? Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 2 hours ago, Supremo said: Will’s hair, though. Ian Walker! Quote
Chili Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 (edited) I've just remembered Toni Storm did a fake retirement for the Timeless character a month or so ago, so this actually makes sense to me now. Timeless Toni will be so back for the Aussie show I reckon. Edited December 12, 2024 by Chili Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 I assumed Toni was returning when the Mariah May match was main eventing, but was surprised it was in the original gimmick. I hope it's not the end of the Timeless gimmick, but given how good Toni has been for a while now, I'm willing to reserve judgement and see what comes next - it seems insane to drop such a great character. I did see someone suggest that it might be because this way she will be doing promos and press for Grand Slam Australia in her real voice, rather than the put-on trans-Atlantic accent, and that seems reasonable. I thought the show overall was decent, certainly an improvement on last week, but still let down by weird decisions, stories not followed up upon, bad formatting, robot Mercedes Mone promos, and the never-ending MJF feud. Formatting-wise, once again there were two backstage segments contradicting what we'd already seen - the Kingdom looking like idiots by telling Kyle O'Reilly that "MJF isn't even here" two minutes after we just saw MJF arrive at the building, and the announcers cuing up a segment with Lio Rush and Action Andretti, which turned out to be Private Party being interrupted by Rush and Andretti. It all smacks of a show being rewritten at the last minute and commentary not being given updated run sheets. Story-wise, I've been banging on about this since Full Gear, but what happened to The Conglomeration? Orange Cassidy asked them not to get involved in his match with Moxley, but they all did anyway, apart from Mark Briscoe. There's been no follow-up on either side of that - on how OC feels about them not doing as he asked, or on Briscoe being the only who did. The Death Riders tried to murder OC after the match, and none of his mates seem remotely bothered by it. When they did it again, it was FTR who saved him, rather than any of his actual friends. Kyle O'Reilly, meanwhile, has forgotten that he's in The Conglomeration and has defaulted back to being frenemies with the Undisputed Kingdom, a group he's never actually been a member of in AEW, but you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise given how they're presented on-screen. None of Kyle's mates in The Conglomeration seem remotely bothered by him spending all his time fucking about with Adam Cole. Orange Cassidy, who wanted to fight Jon Moxley and the Death Riders on his own and not alongside all of his mates, has no qualms about teaming with Jay White against the Death Riders instead, and none of his mates are around to care. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 Fucking Matt Cardona on this show is everything I dislike about 2024 AEW. He's so shite and the absolute opposite of what they need right now (or ever). The worst bit was when he said "everyone was surprised when they saw me on Rampage but you know who wasn't surprised? Me!" WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT SHUT UP AND FUCK OFF BEING READY IS NOT A CHARACTER YOU ORANGE PRICK Quote
CDM Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 3 hours ago, LaGoosh said: Hangman was not in it. Wasn't he? I thought he I remembered a match against Jay White but must be wrong Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 @BomberPat I actually thought the Kingdom saying that to O'Reilly made sense, because we, as the viewer, saw MJF pull up outside, but why would they have seen that walking around backstage where they wouldn't have seen him (at that time). @LaGoosh I am not going to disagree with you, but I do wonder if Cardona coming in, and no doubt beating Jericho, is another attempt at closing a distribution deal for ROH. I can take the occassional TV apperance if it leads to him being over on ROH. That promo wasn't great, and I appreciate the effort he's try to do on the indies, but there is a reason he hasn't been signed by one of the big two, and that is because he's mid tier for AEW or WWE, but upper card for the indies. Thats his level. And if no-one else has ever called him Mid-Cardona allow me to be the first and use it as you all see fit. Quote
CDM Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 2 hours ago, Chris B said: How do you mean? As far as I'm aware the G1 climax is an annual competition. It is highly regarded on a par with the iwgp title. I think the contental classic would be better of as an annual competition. Not a title. I don't watch new Japan though so I may be wrong but that is what I read Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 12, 2024 Author Posted December 12, 2024 5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: And if no-one else has ever called him Mid-Cardona allow me to be the first and use it as you all see fit. Many many people. Including Maki Itoh I think it was at one point. But absolutely agree on the point - he was never going away and coming back as a top tier talent. He's just not, and that's fine. Not everyone is. And he's making the most of what he can on the indies and he should be proud of that, but he's not going anywhere higher if he becomes a regular on any of the bigger shows. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 Ah, well, I like Matt Cardona. He’s better as a heel though, he’s more than capable of filling the veteran, semi-credible and very punchable bad guy role left vacant by Shaun Spears. It’s more damning of the AEW roster than it is an endorsement of Cardona, but I’d absolutely envision him creating more entertaining television than Jericho, Cole, O’Reilly and Strong will for the foreseeable future. All he has to do is soar to the lofty heights of ‘kind-of watchable’ I think that’s within his skillset. Quote
BrodyGraham Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 2 hours ago, CDM said: As far as I'm aware the G1 climax is an annual competition. It is highly regarded on a par with the iwgp title. I think the contental classic would be better of as an annual competition. Not a title. I don't watch new Japan though so I may be wrong but that is what I read Righto, so the Continental Classic is a one off annual tournament. The prize for the Continental Classic is the Continental Championship. The Continental title is an active belt that is defended all year under Continental (basically Japanese), rules and the Continental Champion is obliged to enter. Classic = Tournament Championship = Title/ Prize Of course the fact that they also have the Owen which is a single elimination tourney with the main event of All-In as the prize does nothing to diminish the Classic. Honest. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.