Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Back in the Monday Night Wars days a good or bad Nitro or Raw could be seen as a triumph or a death nell.

Fair enough. I was 11 at the time, didn't start watching until early 99 and didn't have the internet so was unaware.

38 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Actually had Gooshy said more people dishonestly comment on AEW for money I'd have had no complaint. 

Definitely true. I would also say that a lot of people dishonestly comment on AEW even without doing it for financial gain. The extraordinary level of bad faith takes, double standards, obsessive hatred and ill will towards AEW is fucking weird. It's very existence seems to drive some people insane for reasons I don't understand at all. 

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted

To add to your, as always spot on take @LaGoosh, the number of people clambering for AEW to close, and were openly cheering at it the longer the TV deal got kicked into grass, was insane. Imagine wanting a load of people to lose their jobs because of your love of a different billion dollar company! 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

If nothing else, we’re in the era where a large portion of the audience watches it with a critical eye, and a promoter’s access to those thoughts and opinions is at their fingertips. Every Wednesday and Saturday evening is a focus group on Twitter.

Anyone with any sense should be able to decipher through the bullshit though. A solid 75% of the stuff you see online is either grifters or morons parroting the grifters. The, “wHaT’s tHe StOrY?” idiots.

What wrecks my head is when that stuff bleeds into the show and becomes a meta direction. I never, ever want to hear a character on the show itself talk about how the show is rubbish, or needs a big reset. True or not. I don’t want to hear it.

The ultimately irony is this week’s show, where everything was mostly great, apart from Moxley - whose entire gimmick is that everything is rubbish. Job done, Mox. The show was great this week, apart from you and the Plastic Bag Bandits. If he truly cared about the quality of the show he’d recognise he was the last rubbish thing remaining and hand himself into the police station.

Edited by Supremo
Posted
11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Definitely true. I would also say that a lot of people dishonestly comment on AEW even without doing it for financial gain. The extraordinary level of bad faith takes, double standards, obsessive hatred and ill will towards AEW is fucking weird. It's very existence seems to drive some people insane for reasons I don't understand at all. 

But that goes completely and utterly the other way too. There's plenty of die hard AEW fans who will take shots at WWE no matter what. It's not all 'poor AEW' by a long shot.

It's all bollocks whoever it's coming from on whatever side anyway. Good wrestling is good wrestling. Who gives a fuck where it's coming from. To some it's as strong a rivalry as your local football derby or something which is just really weird.

AEW do good and bad stuff. WWE do good and bad stuff. TNA is there too. Any moderately sane person should be able to just enjoy a good product whoever puts it out. Most of us accept that there's ups and downs with everything.

  • Paid Members
Posted
6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

But that goes completely and utterly the other way too. There's plenty of die hard AEW fans who will take shots at WWE no matter what.

True, but I definitely think it goes the other way a lot more. Look at the comments on any AEW post on social media then compare it to WWE. You can clearly see the difference. And there's absolutely loads of relatively high profile grifters with anti-AEW podcasts and YouTube channels - I'm not aware of any WWE ones to the same level.

There's always going to be weird, tribal nutcases/idiots but I would disagree with any "it's the same for WWE too" argument. In terms of overwhelming sheer numbers and the level of hatred - the amount AEW gets is crazy in comparison.

This isn't a "feel sorry for poor AEW" point from me. I'm just pointing out the reality of the toxic wasteland of fandoms in the modern age. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

True, but I definitely think it goes the other way a lot more. Look at the comments on any AEW post on social media then compare it to WWE. You can clearly see the difference. And there's absolutely loads of relatively high profile grifters with anti-AEW podcasts and YouTube channels - I'm not aware of any WWE ones to the same level.

There's always going to be weird, tribal nutcases/idiots but I would disagree with any "it's the same for WWE too" argument. In terms of overwhelming sheer numbers and the level of hatred - the amount AEW gets is crazy in comparison.

Yeah, that's the thing for me - on AEW's side it's largely some lone nutters on social media, on WWE's side, you've got the lone nutters but you also have an entire podcast ecosystem of old wrestling personalities who have realised that there's money to be made from bad faith attacks on AEW, and then their fanbases repeating it ad nauseum, and other lesser lights trying to get a piece of that pie by posting any old shite, which means a lot of the genuine and necessary criticisms get lost in the noise. To say nothing of how many of the anti-AEW grifters are on WWE's payroll.

It can make actually enjoying this stuff exhausting, because any attempt to engage with it online involves wading through shit. 

Posted

That's fair - I generally don't engage a huge amount outside of here. I'll read some stuff on Twitter/Bluesky and occasionally watch some Youtube things, so my perception of things is probably just a few idiots here and there. Sounds like it's not something I'd particularly enjoy delving deeper into anyway!

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

To say nothing of how many of the anti-AEW grifters are on WWE's payroll.

Yeah this is the bit that makes me uncomfortable. Former top stars slandering the product each week apparently in good faith but lo and behold they all turn up on WWE TV eventually. Additionally there are a ton of bots that post loads of anti-AEW content. Where have these bots come from? I'm sure we can all guess.

Posted
18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah this is the bit that makes me uncomfortable. Former top stars slandering the product each week apparently in good faith but lo and behold they all turn up on WWE TV eventually. Additionally there are a ton of bots that post loads of anti-AEW content. Where have these bots come from? I'm sure we can all guess.

I knew Tony Khan lurked on this board, but I didn't realise he was both LaGoosh and Hannibal Scorch.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Where have these bots come from? Possibly the future? There’s only one man who can find out. That’s right, it’s TimeCop! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...