Paid Members Chris B Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 I find Roderick Strong so forgettable that I can forget he's in matches while I'm watching them. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Ha, Strong is a weird one in that his character is absolutely terrible but in ring he's absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately his character is so shit it kinda stops anyone from even noticing how good a wrestler he is or care about his matches at all. You're right, he's brilliant in-ring - and he's one of only a handful of people in recent years to have a very enjoyable match with Chris Jericho. I think his main issue - as illustrated by his awkward appearance on Hey EW - is that he's stumbled upon a good idea for a character, but he doesn't have the natural wit to develop it any further than he has. If you gave the same character to - say - Toni Storm, I think she'd have developed it into something consistently watchable. But yeah, your assessment of why I don't like him is spot-on! Quote
The Gaffer Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 Strong's the kind of guy who always seems to end up in the odd featured angle in major promotions because he's mates with everyone, has been around for ages and is probably a night off to work with, despite the fact that he has all the personality of an unedited create-a-wrestler in WWF Attitude. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 Amazing. I love stuff like this. I think Swerve vs. Hangman might be overtaking Omega vs. Hangman and MJF vs. Punk as AEW’s best ever feud. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted September 5, 2024 Awards Moderator Posted September 5, 2024 (edited) I’m going to be watching the cage match through my fingers at the weekend, I dread to think what they might do to each other after this. Other bits: While I still think it’s a shame they turned the Continental Classic into just another title belt, Okada vs Fletcher was a great match. The word of the day IS stupendous, and the trios match was exactly that. PAC and Ospreay is going to be a cracker. It looks like I’m alone but I’m not keen on this new Moxley stuff. It’s the wrong side of cryptic for me, I didn’t get what he was on about in the slightest. I now get the same bored feeling watching MJF’s shtick I had before the Adam Cole storyline started. There might be layers to uncover to make it all mean something but right now it feels like full regression to the worst version of the character. Edited September 5, 2024 by HarmonicGenerator Whose house? No really, was that a set or did they burn down a real house because that seems a proper waste of a place some people could have lived in Quote
Infinity Land Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 A year ago at All Out Hangman wins a random battle royale for charity and it all leads to this...??️? Don't know what to expect, but we know Hangman is more than willing to get stuck in and Swerve's got his background in CZW & plenty of other hardcore environments. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 I’m sure there’s nothing I could say about the Swerve/Hangman angle that hasn’t been said already. Great stuff I’m so sick of the ‘one or both beats the count at the last second’ spot, not just in AEW but just in general. It’ s used at least once every week, twice in fact on this show. I’m sure someone knows an example of it actually happening (I’m sure there was an incident involving Chad Gable a few years ago), it I just find it eyerollingly tiresome. What have they done to Jamie Hayter? She look a right wally in her Budgecky Lynch gear. Completely forgot that Deonna Purrazzo was even in the company Sticking Okada in 20 Minute Time Limit matches is a masterstroke to get him working at an actual pace, long may his reign as Continental Champion continue. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 Top work Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said: It looks like I’m alone but I’m not keen on this new Moxley stuff. It’s the wrong side of cryptic for me, I didn’t get what he was on about in the slightest. One of AEW's weaknesses with show formatting is that they very rarely remind you of anything - I don't need full-on WWE multiple replays of things that happened two seconds ago, or WCW where the commentators spend every undercard match talking about what Hulk Hogan is up to, but the first appearance of Bryan Danielson probably shouldn't have been him walking out to commentate on a zero-stakes Trios match. The Moxley angle is the same thing - he turns up, says something cryptic, and for a couple of seconds the commentators say they don't know what it's about, and then they never mention it again. Spread that out across the show. During a lull in another match, have Tony Schiavone say, "I can't stop thinking about Jon Moxley, what's going on with him?". Nobody is asking the other members of Blackpool Combat Club what's going on with him. Nobody is seriously trying to get an interview with him or Marina Shafir. Hell, why is nobody asking Renee what's going on? She's there, appearing multiple times on the show. Quote
Daddymagic Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 First full Dynamite I've watched in forever and it was good fun. Except for the MJF segment. Proper go away heat that lad now. Quote
Paid Members JNLister Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 13 hours ago, Chili said: Street Fight = in your civvies/jeans No DQ/No Holds Barred = No DQ/Pin in ring Lights Out = Unsanctioned Falls Count Anywhere = Outside ring pin optional. Historically street fight meant no DQ, no countout (but the finish had to come in the ring.) WWF hardcore rules was that but falls count anywhere. "Bunkhouse" was wear what you like. No Holds Barred is very technically "you can do anything with your body, but no weapons" though nobody's really enforced that for decades. Quote
Chili Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 21 minutes ago, JNLister said: Historically street fight meant no DQ, no countout (but the finish had to come in the ring.) WWF hardcore rules was that but falls count anywhere. "Bunkhouse" was wear what you like. No Holds Barred is very technically "you can do anything with your body, but no weapons" though nobody's really enforced that for decades. As an added addendum to this, I've always felt a Street Fight with a city in the title should always be gimmicked around that. Like that Minnesota Street Fight where Jericho attacked the MMA lads with a giant TAFKA Prince symbol. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted September 5, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 5, 2024 Hangman/Swerve just overtook Hangman/Omega for me. Absolutely incredible bit of pro-wrestling. I loved that 6-man tag too, and honestly I think it might be Claudios best outing since he joined AEW. I always prefer him when he leans into his heelish side anyway, but here he seemed like he had a massive chip on his shoulder and everything he did had a bit of extra snap to it. Loved all the interweaving little stories and callbacks to previous feuds during that match too. Can't be doing with Roderick Strong slander sorry. Absolutely one of my Lads, he's been a cornerstone of AEW for me this year along with Mark Briscoe. Strong episode and All Out looks a banger, although I am getting increasingly worried we're going to end up with 8 months of Learning Tree vs Conglomeration. Quote
organizedkaos Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 Was gonna point out the burning house in video bit ? I really felt all these little touches meant they stuck the landing on what could've easily been too ott. You were basically being slowly lead (almost subliminally at the first) to the idea of what was going to happen so by the time we get to the green screen you're ready for it to happen so it doesnt feel like a jarring special effect That and Swerves selling of both the buying and burning of the house. Made for an absolutely brilliant "only in wrestling" bit Quote
andrew "the ref" coyne Posted September 5, 2024 Posted September 5, 2024 21 hours ago, Chili said: Fucking mental. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ That beautiful simple moment, when we first glimpse the gas can and the audience reacts as the penny drops is my favourite moment. Just stunning. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.